Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Just so we’re clear... you don’t like “The Pack”, correct?

By the way, just so we're clear, you recognize that based on what I quoted in your previous post, this was totally not what I was saying, right?

It's where I sit.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It's always going to be hard to adjust but the way that their supporters have taken to the new identity just shows you how bad the WFT and Cleveland have stuffed up.

It's not like it offended someone but lots of someone's.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Whilst I like the new direction for edmonton, I have a few issues with certain details of the icon.

spacer.png

Why is the antler disconnected? Would it not work better as an actual antler extending from the top of its head?

The snout radius looks off and has gives it a pouty expression.

The raised brow above the eye is too subtle, this would benefit from better execution. This plays into the connetion with the ear, which seams too small/thin.

Lastly, the open point making the base of the crest/neck should be opened even more. There are too many inconcistencies with stroke widths and curves.

5 hours ago, Faxion said:

Whilst I like the new direction for edmonton, I have a few issues with certain details of the icon.

spacer.png

Why is the antler disconnected? Would it not work better as an actual antler extending from the top of its head?

The snout radius looks off and has gives it a pouty expression.

The raised brow above the eye is too subtle, this would benefit from better execution. This plays into the connetion with the ear, which seams too small/thin.

Lastly, the open point making the base of the crest/neck should be opened even more. There are too many inconcistencies with stroke widths and curves.

I think keeping the antlers separate is meant to keep consistency with the new helmet decal. Similar to how the Rams updated head logo has the horn match the one on the helmet.

49 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think keeping the antlers separate is meant to keep consistency with the new helmet decal. Similar to how the Rams updated head logo has the horn match the one on the helmet.

I also wonder if it has something to do with keeping all the elements in the logo within a more confined general shape. 

@Faxion's update, with the antlers veering off to the left, breaks it out of what is otherwise a logo that could, if necessary, fit within a narrow rectangular box without creating a lot of unwanted white space. 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:39 PM, IceCap said:

I'm not sure I agree. The Elks' identity is very vintage- people have noted how the logo could have come out of the 70s (I'm getting 70s minor league hockey vibes). The helmet antlers are likewise vintage- they're a single colour on a single colour shell- green on athletic gold. 
We don't know what the jerseys will look like, or if they're even going to massively redesign them, but from what we've seen it's a very conservative identity that would almost seem to be analogous to the Rams' 1973-1999 identity. 

Now one could argue (and I certainly would) that the Rams should have tried for something like that with their 2020 redesign, but they almost took great pains not to. From the introduction of "bone" to the gradients, to taking a very simple colour on colour helmet logo and redesigning it, the Rams seemed to want to avoid retro as much as they could. 

Whereas the Elks' identity- at least what we've seen of it- seems like a loving embrace of a throwback identity that never existed but feels like it should have. 

To me, their new wordmark is very similar to the Rams' wordmark, and the primary logo has a similar aesthetic to the Rams' ram-head logo due to how simplified and almost abstract it is. The difference is that the Elks didn't cram in a bunch of gradients or make a poorly-designed monogram their primary logo (which is why it's ultimately more successful than the Rams' rebrand).

Hopefully their new uniforms won't be total clownsuits like the crap that the Rams are wearing.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Yeah being reduced to having a bear and a potato for mascots is pretty much an admission your team's nickname is derogatory, right?

The Toronto Maple Leafs' mascot is Carlton. He's a polar bear. 

So no. 

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Toronto Maple Leafs' mascot is Carlton. He's a polar bear. 

So no. 

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

I mean, Carlton got away with kidnapping and presumably murdering Nyisles; so while he's not derogatory, he's not exactly controversy-free, either. 😜

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I shouldn't be too shocked that a mascot that's a football with limbs exists, given how many baseball mascots have a baseball for a head, or are fuzzy unidentifiable creatures...or that Gritty exists...but yeah, Punter is a bit jarring to take in for me.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 1 month later...

Archived