Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

"Elks" just sounds weird to me and I can't get over it. It might be because it's just one syllable. Or because it's one syllable juxtaposed against three in "Edmonton." Or maybe because it's kind of a difficult word to wrap your tongue around; it kind of eminates from the back of the throat and reminds me of a cat coughing up a hairball.

Considering how often they use “Esks”, I think “Elks” is the perfect replacement. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Considering how often they use “Esks”, I think “Elks” is the perfect replacement. 

My idea was Evergreens but Elks is an ideal choice.

Honestly, I'd actually say going with the polar bear as iconography would be a smart move; it's something used in the team's past history, so it pays some tribute to their past while allowing them to create an entirely new identity.

I also think renaming the team to an Inuktitut word could be a nice gesture; keeps the theme of the original name, but using a non-Native mascot that is still very important to that group would be a perfect way to make an easy transition. You could call them the Edmonton Nanooks, or go full Inuktitut and use the name Edmonton Nanuqs.  Could even call their fanbase the "Nanookleheads" or something. The team literally already has a polar bear named Nanook for a mascot, it's not like it'd be a difficult transition.

Something like @8BW14's concept would be great;

spacer.png

Keeps the same general idea and shape as the team's original logo but represents the new name.

The Eskimos had a cartoon polar bear logo in the 90s. It didn't last.

Anyway I used to like Edmonton Empire. It keeps the EE logo and it ties in with Commonwealth Stadium. Empire? Commonwealth? It's thematic. Still, the implications of colonialism probably make it a no-go.

"Edmonton Elks" (yes, "elks" is fine as a plural form) has grown on me though, and I hope that's what they lean into.

5 hours ago, Gobbi said:

- "What does the 'EE' in 'EE Football Team' stand for?"

- "Edmonton... uhh I don't know what the second 'E' stands for yet... but I know it's not Eskimos"

Edmonton Excellence.

Green Bay has greatness. Edmonton can have excellence.

kmFEQd2.gif

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Edmonton Engineers. Keep the EE logo, and I’m fairly sure trains had to play some role in early Alberta 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I understand the desire to keep the EE logo, both for the convenience of it and since it's been around forever. That said, it's not a very appealing mark. I love @tigerslionspistonshabs suggestion of Owls, a name that would have plenty of visual potential and is underused in pro sports.

But I also realize, not being all that familiar with Canadian football and its lore, that this might be the equivalent of someone suggesting the Green Bay Packers rebrand, so take it for what it's worth. 

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I do get it, but adopting a name that may be subpar just for the sake of keeping the logo seems silly. Especially when it could be slightly altered to be just a single E which I personally think would look better.

I 100% agree. But that EE, to me, has a similar visual aesthetic to the Packers' G logo, and most people would consider it sacrilegious to suggest Green Bay change it. Prioritizing the logo may seem silly, but this may be one of those organizations where the logo is valued more than the name. 

Maybe someone with a better understanding of the CFL can clue me in as to whether the Packers are an appropriate parallel here. 

Edmonton Eagles as in golden eagles. After all, Edmonton is green and gold. Philadelphia's Eagles are inspired by the bald eagle. Detroit and BC are both called "Lions" but however Detroit's team is named after the African lion, aka. The King of the Beasts. BC's Lions were initially named after the Lions mountain peaks that overlook Vancouver but it's brand is named after the mountain lion, aka. cougar, puma.

6 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Edmonton Eagles as in golden eagles. After all, Edmonton is green and gold. Philadelphia's Eagles are inspired by the bald eagle. Detroit and BC are both called "Lions" but however Detroit's team is named after the African lion, aka. The King of the Beasts. BC's Lions were initially named after the Lions mountain peaks that overlook Vancouver but it's brand is named after the mountain lion, aka. cougar, puma.

I dig it. I vote for either Owls or Eagles. There's a lack of birds in the CFL, besides the Alouettes which is just kind of linked to a bird, not a direct naming after.

sig.png

Archived