Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

11 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

The Community ownership isn't terribly unusual in the CFL. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are also community-owned, but with a lot more shareholders (80 vs thousands) and the Blue Bombers (And Valour FC of the CPL) are technically a non-profit.

True enough.  And I love that about the CFL.   I was just thinking that Edmonton had to be unusually responsive to the concerns of their fans, more than most teams.  And when you have a subject as potentially laden with emotion as this one, that's a whole other level of complicated.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

The Community ownership isn't terribly unusual in the CFL. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are also community-owned, but with a lot more shareholders (80 vs thousands) and the Blue Bombers (And Valour FC of the CPL) are technically a non-profit.

None of those teams also look like the Packers. Edmonton does which is what I was going for when I said they really are the Canadian Packers. That said, I didn't know community ownership was that common in the CFL. Thanks for pointing it out. Good stuff.

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, it's really hard to argue against Elks. Has a nice feel to it. It's snappy, it sounds northern, it can't offend anyone like "Empire" would. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

On December 2, 2015, I wrote:

maxwell_smart.jpg

Neither one has announced a new name, so you've still got a shot!

Also, I don't think anyone has actually suggested this, but the team's Twitter handle is @EdmontonEsks

I can kinda get behind that.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Also, I don't think anyone has actually suggested this, but the team's Twitter handle is @EdmontonEsks

I can kinda get behind that.

That's just a shortened form of the word that they're trying to get away from, and would really rub salt in the wound of the Inuit people who urged the team to change its name. They can get away with keeping the colours and the logo, but they need to make a clean break with the name.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:20 AM, the admiral said:

Yeah, it's really hard to argue against Elks. Has a nice feel to it. It's snappy, it sounds northern, it can't offend anyone like "Empire" would. 

Elks is a great name.  And it reminds me of a wonderful memory.

Back in 1985 a group of about fifteen or twenty friends went on a four-day trip to a ski resort in Fallsburg, New York.  (I was the only member of our group who didn't ski, being content to drink, hang out, and swim in the heated indoor pool.)

As we were walking into the place upon arrival, we passed a pen contaning a llama.  I, being a city type who is ignorant of wildlife, incorrectly referred to the llama as an elk.  A friend corrected me.  A few minutes later, someone asked directions to somewhere on the grounds, and I told that person to go a little past the elk...  The guy who had corrected me the first time heard this, and immediately broke into the conversation to berate me for once again calling the llama an elk.

Seeing that this bugged him, I began doing it intentionally.  During our nighttime party/drinking sessions, whenever this guy would pass me, I acted like I was in another conversation, and mentioned the elk so that he could hear me. The first couple of times I did this, he stopped in his tracks and began to argue with me: "Do you see antlers? How can you not know...?"  Then he caught on that I was messing with him, so he would just say "It's a llama, Fred" and keep going.  Eventually he would seek me out, and say "It's a llama, Fred", apropos of nothing.

One day during the stay we decided to choose up sides and play a football game.  (Tackle football, with no equipment, as only people in their early 20s are stupid enough to do.)  This same guy and I were the captains.  After I chose my team, I announced proudly that we were the Fallsburg Elksmen, whereupon the other guy declared that his team was It's a Llama, Fred. 

So I am very much in favour of a return of the Elksmen.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 7/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, Survival79 said:

1oID1EW.png

That's not a bad solution if the new name doesn't start with E.

The team has been using a modified logo since January without the white outline and black shadow. I never saw an official announcement about a switch but it looks like that's where things were headed until the name was dropped.

fSLS8Uv.jpg

Here's with a single E.

s5gvhHf.jpg

1 minute ago, NicDB said:

If there's legit precedent for them being the Edmonton Elks, then let them be the Edmonton Elks and call it a day.

I hope they don't botch this by overthinking it.

Edmonton Kraken tho

6uXNWAo.png

Not an Edmonton fan, but to give them their due--they never mad e a big deal of any sort of Inuit or other imagery--they used a polar bear as a mascot at times, so that's in their favour.

That said I'd like to see an E name so that can keep the double E logo (But I'd be okay with an adjustment to the colours)

Although Empire seems arrogant, and would be fodder for toehr teams fans when they lose.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

13 hours ago, Stampman said:

Not an Edmonton fan, but to give them their due--they never mad e a big deal of any sort of Inuit or other imagery--they used a polar bear as a mascot at times, so that's in their favour.

Except that their polar bear mascot is named “Nanook”, which is very much trading in Inuit mythology. 

18 hours ago, chakfu said:

I assumed the plural of Elk was Elk. Sounds better to me.

I thought both were grammatically correct. Either way, the Maple Leafs show this doesn't have to be an issue.

8 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I thought both were grammatically correct. Either way, the Maple Leafs show this doesn't have to be an issue.

The Leafs are grammatically-correct, though. They're named after the Maple Leaf Regiment specifically.

Archived