Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

10 hours ago, WideRight said:

In the tradition of CFL naming, they really ought to go with one of these:

Edmonton Ergonauts

Edmonton Ellouettes

Edmonton Eiger-Cats

WAY too close to current CFL teams. 

They should go with something totally unique, like Edblacks, or Elue Bombers. 

All this talk about Edmonton Elks... but there is already an Edmonton Elks team and they play rugby league here as an amatuer club. Those players go on to represent the Alberta Broncos for the rep team for the province and they play against the BC Bulldogs, Ontario and Western Canada in the national competition.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, beachperroAZ said:

Edmonton Oilers or roughnecks!  They could use uniforms similar to the Houston Roughnecks since Alberta is an oil state like Texas.   Or if there is another version of a name that could represent the oil industry in Alberta.  

Count me as a vote for Edmonton Oilers. Sounds like it goes perfectly together, and I can already picture a logo: A circle with an oil drop at the top, and "OILERS" below it dripping oil. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 8:33 PM, Gothamite said:

In this case, it isn’t a random name.  It’s a sacred name.  I can only hope that they continue to listen to the Inuit before deciding if the polar bear god-figure is an appropriate mascot.

I was referring to other teams & random names--so call the Polar Bear Phil or Gus or Dave.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think most people associate Nanook with the old Nanook of the North documentary, or maybe the Frank Zappa song loosely based on it.

Yeah, but that's a tough argument to sell. I associated the Washington Football Team's former nickname with the team that plays footlball in Washington. Nothing else. Still didn't make it right.

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think most people associate Nanook with the old Nanook of the North documentary, or maybe the Frank Zappa song loosely based on it.

They probably do.  Which is kinda the problem.  Even without the polar bear ties, it’s hard to argue that the name itself isn’t a First Nations reference.