Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Edmonton Elks is a home run of a brand, especially if they adopt the antler helmets. I'd be sorely disappointed if they try and do something else. 

Is it though? I’m curious to know your reasoning behind it being a “home run brand”... aside from the antler helmets.

Well, they had previously used the "Elks" name in the early 20th century, so there's some historic precedent for it, it's a great and unique name, "Edmonton Elks" sounds great, the potential for antler helmets is too good not to pass up, it allows them to still use the "EE" logo, and it's only a small departure from "Edmonton Esks", a nickname the team had already been using. Elks is the way to go.

the user formerly known as cdclt

They're looking for name submissions from the public.

“We want to make sure that with all they’ve done to help build our current brand, that they’re included in every decision we make around our future name because they’re the ones that helped develop our former name, they’re the ones that supported that name, they’re the ones that helped us develop the former brand and our EE name,” president and CEO Chris Presson said.

The team is looking to keep the EE brand, as well as the green and gold colours, but fans are encouraged to submit any suggestion.

“If you want to get creative with it and the EE happens to be in the middle of some other name you come up with, you may as well submit it. We’ll consider every name.”

After the names are collected, Presson says the team will go through all the submissions and narrow it down before releasing those names for the fans to weigh in on.

Fans won’t get to vote on the final name though. Presson points to the recent announcement of the Seattle Kraken joining the NHL. In that case, the name only had support from 27 per cent of the fans, but it worked for the franchise’s brand.

“It’s all about how we can use the name, how can we continue to build on the EE brand that we already have, how can we build on the green and gold, what story can we tie to that, what’s the brand presence and so much more,” he said.

Interest from the fans to weigh in on the new name is high, Presson said. About 3,000 people have already submitted their own names to the club, unsolicited.

As for the club, it’s a unique experience for them as well.

“When you do this for a living, you don’t really ever get an opportunity to have this sort of an impact on a team and on a community and on a league by choosing a new name,” Presson said.

There isn’t an exact timeline for when the new name will be released, as Presson says the club wants to make sure they get it right. He expects the new name to be release in the spring.

https://www.esks.com/name

The EE Football Team isn’t our ‘forever’ name, and we’re working on it.

Take part in the next step in our journey and help us to usher in the next era in club history. We want to make sure the community is involved and the suggestions are seen and read appropriately.

If you have a name suggestion, enter it here and if you have an explanation, please add it. We’re reading all feedback and are taking all options into consideration.

As a heads up, submitting your suggestion will not result in any payment, retention of rights to your suggestion or qualify the respondent, their friends, family, pets, relatives from Saskatchewan for royalties or future rights for the submission’s contents, should it be chosen or used in any way. HOWEVER… you will have the distinct pleasure of being one of the ones who is responsible for suggesting Edmonton’s football team’s name, and that’s a story you will tell for the rest of your life.

At least give someone a shirt or something if their name is the one that gets picked.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Well, they had previously used the "Elks" name in the early 20th century, so there's some historic precedent for it, it's a great and unique name, "Edmonton Elks" sounds great, the potential for antler helmets is too good not to pass up, it allows them to still use the "EE" logo, and it's only a small departure from "Edmonton Esks", a nickname the team had already been using. Elks is the way to go.

On top of all that, I would add that "Elks" has the very northern connotation that an Edmonton team should have, just as "Eskimos" did (which, admittedly, took it to absurdity; as far north as Edmonton is, it's still well short of circumpolar). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The EE Football Team announced yesterday that it is soliciting name suggestions from the public: https://www.esks.com/name

Deadline is Dec. 1. No prizes or anything, just bragging rights. Part of me thinks this is just a big focus group to see if what they've already come up with lines up with what people think the name should be.

3 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The EE Football Team announced yesterday that it is soliciting name suggestions from the public: https://www.esks.com/name

Deadline is Dec. 1. No prizes or anything, just bragging rights. Part of me thinks this is just a big focus group to see if what they've already come up with lines up with what people think the name should be.

See two posts above yours

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Edmonton McEdmontonFace

Edmonton McBoatface would get all my votes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, Gothamite said:

canadian-club-1858-premium-extra-aged-bl

That was the name of our floor hockey team one year in high school.

the teacher's abbreviated it as CCs.

yet another team didn't get to use their acronym--which spelled an obscenity.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think that the Edmonton Football Club should split its season to avoid the sketchy fall weather in Northern Alberta.  Play summer home games in Edmonton, then relocate to Greater Victoria BC for the fall session.  The Edmonton Esquimalt!

I can haz sig?

Archived