Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

Eh, I don't see the problem with Eagles. I mean, we already have the B.C Lions and the Detroit Lions. Hell, for a long period of time we had the Roughriders and the Rough Riders in the CFL itself.

Of the names on the list, Elk, Explorers and Eagles all seem pretty great to me; they all have a timelessness that fits such a long-lived franchise. Stuff like Empire, Energy, Edge and (gag) Extreme are total guff.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Explorers would be the best choice to replace the Eskimos name. With a name such as Elks, I would not be surprised if they eventually create some stupid redesign with antlers on the helmet paired with a mediocre uniform. If they go with Explorers, I think there would be a better chance of Edmonton not getting any special ideas with that name that would make Edmonton want to stray away from their classic EE logo and identity. Like the Washington Football Team in the NFL, this in my opinion is/was another Native American-based team that has had a history of beautiful uniforms and I am hoping that Edmonton's only major change is the name and hopefully seeing Edmonton go back to their 80's uniforms again.

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like Elite, Explorers and Elks. Extreme and Evolution sound like they're trying to create a wrestling team on NXT. 

Yeah, Elite doesn't sound at all like a wrestling thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Explorers or bust.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

4 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

Elks is my choice. Not a fan of any of the other submissions, though "Golden Eagles" was proposed on sports radio today and would also work for me.

That would mean they'd have to change the helmet and lose the EE, which nobody wants.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Explorers really doesn’t sit well with me, especially since it’s replacing a Native American-themed name. The “explorers” damn-bear wiped Native Americans out, so why in the heck would you adopt that name? 

Explorers include every nation under the sun, including indigenous people but I can see why it could be contentious. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

- Does Edmonton have any kind of significant history with railroads? That's about the only way I could see them making "Express" work. Wouldn't be the first time we saw a football team with that name, but still probably wouldn't be the best.

- I could see them trying to tie "Energy" into their hometown kinsmen Oilers. Definitely wouldn't be my pick for a new name, though.

- I'm not opposed to "Eagles", actually. It's a safe enough nickname that it shouldn't bug too many people (aside from it also being one of the most-used mascots in sports).

All that said, who are they kidding? Elk is up there and *conspiracy theory* I think they're locked in on that name (Elks) too; they just want to see how much of their fan base agrees with it.  As a bonus, Elks works due to the uniqueness factor too.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Buc said:

- Does Edmonton have any kind of significant history with railroads? That's about the only way I could see them making "Express" work. Wouldn't be the first time we saw a football team with that name, but still probably wouldn't be the best.

We do, and the Alberta Railway Museum is here. Edmonton was also the first 'small' city in North America to build a light rail transit system.

42 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Not necessarily, but is the EE loved that much?

Eagles is by far the best choice.

The fact that they've eliminated the Eskimos name, but for some reason are still using EE Football Team as an official moniker shows that the organization is set on it. Hopefully they at least polish up the logo by eliminating the unnecessary drop shadows & extra outlines.

This feels similar to when Ottawa got it's franchise back. They couldn't use the Rough Riders name, but knew they were going to use a white R logo, so every potential nickname needed to start with R.  

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Explorers really doesn’t sit well with me, especially since it’s replacing a Native American-themed name. The “explorers” damn-near wiped Native Americans out, so why in the heck would you adopt that name? 

Clumping in every type of explorer in the history of Alberta as genociders seems like a pretty good way to get upset at an innocuous sports team name, I agree. Honestly, I'm finding a lot of these names troublesome

Express: railroads destroyed Native land

Elite: racist dogwhistle insinuating whites are elite compared to Natives

Evolution: as if Natives are savages. Yikes

Elks and Eagles: Natives lived harmoniously in serene peace with these animals. now under the white man they're struggling to survive

Energy: white man's industrialized society destroying Native way of life

Archived