Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

5 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

1. Elk - I can already imagine people showing up with huge elk antlers to games. I think that's fun.

Elk antlers at a game? That triggers my PTSD of getting hit in the eye with a waving rally towel years ago at the Liberty Bowl. No Thanks!

Elk is the clear favorite though.

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Kind of, sort of yes.

Edmonton has evergreens, heck a lot of places have evergreens, but the evergreen tree isn't really seen as a symbol of places outside of the Pacific Northwest. I'm from Calgary and I go to university in Edmonton. Never once have I thought about Edmonton and thought "oh, the place with the evergreen trees".

Well yeah, I don’t think a team name has to be based on something that perfectly symbolizes the city. Otherwise Elk wouldn’t be a good choice, even if I have seen some walk down my street before in Edmonton. 

I can also look out my window and see two huge spruce trees in my front yard and about ten more on the yards beside mine. So, Evergreens would at least be appropriate and would be nice to pay tribute to the river valley instead of always being the “Cold City with Oil”. 

1.) Elk(s)

2.) Elk(s)

3.) Elk(s)

4.) Elkhounds

5.) Elk(s)

6.) If they absolutely must, Elk.

7.) Elk(s)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Remind me, because my brain's not working, but isn't there another pro sports franchise that has a name that, like Elks, foregoes the preferred plural spelling of an animal in favor of the more ear-friendly alternative? 

And for what it's worth, most dictionaries allow for "elks" as an accepted plural, if not the preferred plural. I'm not sure why they don't just go for it as Elks.

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Remind me, because my brain's not working, but isn't there another pro sports franchise that has a name that, like Elks, foregoes the preferred plural spelling of an animal in favor of the more ear-friendly alternative? 

And for what it's worth, most dictionaries allow for "elks" as an accepted plural, if not the preferred plural. I'm not sure why they don't just go for it as Elks.

Here’s to hoping we get Meese for Moose

19 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

There's the Manitoba Moose, and I think you can put Seattle Kraken in that category as well.

23 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Maple Leafs?

21 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

Here's my list with explanation

1. Elk - I can already imagine people showing up with huge elk antlers to games. I think that's fun.

Yea, this right here. I'm not a hunter, so forgive my lack of knowledge as I've only seen this in movies and whatnot, but folks clacking together to smaller antlers like they do to attract them. 

49 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Edmonton Eelks

It's like when WWE can't trademark something, they just double up on the first or last letter.  Iiconics or Riott Squad for example.

43e613a125742ac3192531419d24c390.jpg  dc5492da68557508fd13285191dfae61.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, Skycast said:

Yea, this right here. I'm not a hunter, so forgive my lack of knowledge as I've only seen this in movies and whatnot, but folks clacking together to smaller antlers like they do to attract them. 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I still like the idea of some sort of elk horn design for the helmet, with the EE logo moved to the shoulders. 

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

I could see them fake rattling antlers and elk calls being used like how cowbells and horns are used around the league. Their sitting on a little goldmine for fans here with the Elk name if you ask me.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

It was mentioned earlier in the threat, but I still like the idea of some sort of elk horn design for the helmet, with the EE logo moved to the shoulders. 

I just checked up Edmonton Elk on the google and got this as a result from an apparent twitter user. I don't think it looks bad as an alternate.

spacer.png

It's Me

On 2/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, gosioux76 said:

A helpful precedent for your case is CU, who uses the more ear-friendly Buffaloes when Buffalo is probably the preferred plural in American English.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Yellowstone Country where elk and buffalo are pretty commonplace, and I always use "elk" and "buffalo" as the plural. Because I use elk as the plural when referring to the animal, hearing the word "elks" or especially "The Elks" makes exclusively think of the Elks Lodge.

BPOE_logo.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 2/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, Raptorman415 said:

I could see them fake rattling antlers and elk calls being used like how cowbells and horns are used around the league. Their sitting on a little goldmine for fans here with the Elk name if you ask me.

I just checked up Edmonton Elk on the google and got this as a result from an apparent twitter user. I don't think it looks bad as an alternate.

spacer.png

The helmet is phenomenal but hard pass on the logo-uniform 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 2/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, Raptorman415 said:

spacer.png

Wow that helmet would look GOOD. And a great way to distance themselves a bit further from the GB Packers. What are the odds of them doing something like that, though?

Archived