Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Dammit - your Shasta edit doesn't tag along.

I remember Shasta, and that catch phrase, but can't recall what it has to do with what you typed. Anything?

Nothing lol...putting I edited the post to add additional info is boring haha

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

15 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Edmonton E’s. They DO kinda share a color scheme with the A’s...

EDIT: Or just call them the Edmonton Edmontonians...the Double Es.

If they're gonna do all that, just call them the Edmonton Eddies.

There...Edmonton Eddies. Run with it. 

(Just like the Philadelphia Phillies, except in green and yellow.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, Buc said:

If they're gonna do all that, just call them the Edmonton Eddies.

There...Edmonton Eddies. Run with it. 

(Just like the Philadelphia Phillies, except in green and yellow.)

This has been brought up before, but the nickname of the local Canadian Premier League team, FC Edmonton, is the Eddies. Not sure if they have any trademarks or anything on it, but it would definitely be stepping on their toes.

Pretty sure they would go with Edmonton Empire, they trademarked it years ago, almost like they knew this day would come eventually.

Also, 99.9% sure they would go with another "E" name and not have to change logo, uniforms or branding. It would cost them money they simply do not have.

5 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Pretty sure they would go with Edmonton Empire, they trademarked it years ago, almost like they knew this day would come eventually.

Presson has literally confirmed it won't be Empire.

At this point, I have to imagine it'll probably be a name that distances itself from the former name as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Also, 99.9% sure they would go with another "E" name and not have to change logo, uniforms or branding. It would cost them money they simply do not have.

Wouldn't "Empire" suggest colonialism?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hat Boy said:

Isn't "Empire" a terrible name for a sports franchise?

spacer.png

To be fair, Spokane is in the “inland empire” of WA. Not to be confused with the other inland empire in CA.

With the train logo though I don’t know why they weren’t just called the Engineers. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Edmonton Explorers

That might not be a half-bad idea.

A major road in Edmonton is named after an English explorer, Anthony Henday, who is believed to be one of the first Europeans to reach Edmonton, or at least the location of future Edmonton. There are also other things around Edmonton named after explorers too, including more named after Henday.

I don't know the name would fly though because of the colonialist connotation, especially after switching from a Indigenous themed name.

IEI5Tg1.png

On 8/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, monkeypower said:

I don't know the name would fly though because of the colonialist connotation, especially after switching from a Indigenous themed name.

Exploring doesn't have mean colonizing. Heck man, at this point folks can probably find issues with just about any name.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, TenaciousG said:

To be fair, Spokane is in the “inland empire” of WA. Not to be confused with the other inland empire in CA.

With the train logo though I don’t know why they weren’t just called the Engineers. 

The Amtrak "Empire Builder" is a passenger train that runs on a historically important rail route connecting Chicago to Seattle and Portland. It's been around since the 1920s and is even today one of the busiest Amtrak routes. The route splits in Spokane.

Amtrak_Empire_Builder.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

38 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

The Amtrak "Empire Builder" is a passenger train that runs on a historically important rail route connecting Chicago to Seattle and Portland. It's been around since the 1920s and is even today one of the busiest Amtrak routes. The route splits in Spokane.

Amtrak_Empire_Builder.jpg

Well whaddya know. I learned something today. I grew up in Spokane and knew the railroad was important but that puts it into perspective. 

For the record I don’t think “Empire” is that bad of a name. Doubt Edmonton goes with it, because of the colonialism connotation. However I’m still glad Spokane got the rights back to the Shock branding for the IFL team, whenever that league re-launches.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived