Sec19Row53

(UPDATED 7/21) Edmonton CFL team to discontinue use of name "Eskimos"

The Edmonton City Canadian American Football Club United FC SC

... of Anaheim

34 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

The Edmonton City Canadian American Football Club United FC SC

... of Anaheim

Needs stripes.

Considering what had been going on in Edmonton for the past couple of months, I present to you...the Edmonton Bubbles.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gothamite said:

canadian-club-1858-premium-extra-aged-bl

Senior year of high school me would have bought a hat and t-shrit. 

19 hours ago, chakfu said:

I assume someone has already suggested Rough Riders?

I  did suggest that for Washington. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:16 PM, DEAD! said:

I  did suggest that for Washington. 

I actually like that for Washington too.  Maybe with Teddy Roosevelt on the side of the helmet?

Would there be a large objection to that from the Saskatchewan Roughriders? I'd imagine so. 

I'd say something that stars with an F, like the Edmonton Freeze. All you have to do is change that lower leg of the second E.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, totc said:

I'd say something that stars with an F, like the Edmonton Freeze. All you have to do is change that lower leg of the second E.

Ah, the reverse WWE strategy

Edmonton Football Club: The Double E closing in on new name

When the next Canadian Football League regular season rolls around in 2021 or beyond, the Edmonton Football Club will have a new name in place.

The president and CEO of the Edmonton Football Club, Chris Presson, said this week that the team has a timeline for the announcement.

“We’re looking for something in the early spring next year, in terms of a name and a new logo.”

Presson says the team is working with an agency to help with the process, that will include a lot of communication with key stakeholders.

“We are in the process of developing our fan engagement plan to make sure we take the proper feedback from all involved.”

Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/7442194/edmonton-football-club-new-name-cfl/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Apparently according to some local news in Edmonton, there's going to be news tomorrow on the new name (with tomorrow being the date of when the Grey Cup should have been and the EFT's Joey Moss memorial online 50/50).

If this report is true, I don't think it's a reveal of the name because there hasn't been any announcements or anything, so it might just be further detail or something.

I really hope it's Elks. "Edmonton Eskimos" was never a brand that meant anything to me, and the potential to do a antlered helmet -- a very Canadian analogue to the Rams -- is just so cool that it'll actually be an improvement and not just making a bad word go away.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I really hope it's Elks. "Edmonton Eskimos" was never a brand that meant anything to me, and the potential to do a antlered helmet -- a very Canadian analogue to the Rams -- is just so cool that it'll actually be an improvement and not just making a bad word go away.

What I was hoping as well. Simple name change and they can keep the same helmet.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I really hope it's Elks... the potential to do a antlered helmet -- a very Canadian analogue to the Rams -- is just so cool that it'll actually be an improvement and not just making a bad word go away.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Someone get Dane Storrusten on the line. It's time to repurpose his Chicago Staggs identity - in Green, Gold, and White - for the Edmonton Elk. 

1K8cIE5m.png?1 RBivSMkm.jpg?1
sJL8kFfl.jpg?1

LhnBorrl.jpg?1

Dc1jz0Xl.jpg?1

Anyone else thinking they might announce some contest to vote on finalist names?

Also odd that the article states they are looking at new name AND new logo for the spring, but later on say the team would like to stick with the classic EE.

So can we assume we'll see some variant of the current EE? Seems like  expensive work for nothing, when 99% of CFL fans are fine with the current logo, any big change there is opening the door to some disaster.

Y'know... like...

oe4tclfezag2ive1f50hscbfg.gif

1 minute ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Anyone else thinking they might announce some contest to vote on finalist names?

Also odd that the article states they are looking at new name AND new logo for the spring, but later on say the team would like to stick with the classic EE.

So can we assume we'll see some variant of the current EE? Seems like  expensive work for nothing, when 99% of CFL fans are fine with the current logo, any big change there is opening the door to some disaster.

Y'know... like...

oe4tclfezag2ive1f50hscbfg.gif

No. Please drop it off.

I mean, there are a lack of bear teams in the CFL...Edmonton embracing that would be a nice way to tie into their history while dropping the more controversial parts of it. ;)

Edmonton Elks is a home run of a brand, especially if they adopt the antler helmets. I'd be sorely disappointed if they try and do something else.