Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

13 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Adding to this, Town appended to the geographic name is fairly common in English football: Grimsby Town, Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luten Town, Northampton Town, Swindon Town, etc.

If the MLS ends up with a Town FC and a City FC, all it would be missing would be a County FC.

Before RSL ever held a naming contest, I insisted to many people that the best name for the team would be Salt Lake CIty Town.

They did not find me funny.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Before RSL ever held a naming contest, I insisted to many people that the best name for the team would be Salt Lake CIty Town.

And people think Real sounds bad! ;) 

In retrospect, though I don’t think there’s any turning back now, part of me wishes they had gone with “Salt Lake City” or “Salt Lake County”, the latter of which would make even more sense now that they play in Sandy.

Anyways, to tie things back to Charlotte, the reason I love “Charlotte Town” as an option is precisely because of the aforementioned common English naming custom, which ties well into Charlotte being named for Queen Charlotte. Some kind of regal imagery in the identity would seal the deal.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

“All Carolina”, what? That sounds like a travel youth team for annoying rich kids, not a professional franchise. 

Exactly, Carolina is amateur and minor-league-ish. In a sport that's so heavily based on not just cities but neighborhoods, using a region name like that is just so off. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Whatever the team name is, they should consider going with a quartered jersey. The design would be unique to the league, and there's no better place for quarters than the Mint City!

9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Charlotte Monarchs FC(SC) gets my vote. I am so up to here with City FC this and United FC that. Otherwise, MLS should just change its name to North American Premier League.

I only have a problem with Atlanta United. What are they even uniting? With Minnesota you have the whole state and with DC they're at least the national capital so its more of a political thing. I wouldn't have a problem with Carolinas United or some variant, even though we clearly won't see that.

4 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Adding to this, Town appended to the geographic name is fairly common in English football: Grimsby Town, Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luten Town, Northampton Town, Swindon Town, etc.

If the MLS ends up with a Town FC and a City FC, all it would be missing would be a County FC.

There is an Orange County SC in the USL, but otherwise I don't think any other county has enough of a national brand to pull it off, except maybe LA County, but you could just go with LA instead.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

I only have a problem with Atlanta United. What are they even uniting? With Minnesota you have the whole state and with DC they're at least the national capital so its more of a political thing. I wouldn't have a problem with Carolinas United or some variant, even though we clearly won't see that.

Funnily enough I have to thank both Atlanta and Minnesota for taking United for no reason because it means Charlotte probably won't be. Carolina United is about as bland as it gets.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

And the late entry for a name worse than Real Salt Lake has been added to the record.

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

And people think Real sounds bad! ;) 

In retrospect, though I don’t think there’s any turning back now, part of me wishes they had gone with “Salt Lake City” or “Salt Lake County”, the latter of which would make even more sense now that they play in Sandy.

Back when there were rumors floating that RSL was going to have to build their stadium on the Geneva Steel land near Provo/Orem, I was joking with my friends RSL would have to rebrand as Utah County FC.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

12 hours ago, QCS said:

Funnily enough I have to thank both Atlanta and Minnesota for taking United for no reason because it means Charlotte probably won't be. Carolina United is about as bland as it gets.

I actually would've really loved a Carolina United identity, I think I still might prefer Charlotte Town F.C. but that's some real good competition. Both names would be top 10 in the league, maybe higher. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Put me in the Monarchs camp. I think it's a really under-used identity (Kansas City - Negro Leagues Baseball, Sacramento - WNBA, and Manchester - ECHL are the only ones I can think of that have used it) for the Queen City, I think it would be perfect.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

20 hours ago, QCS said:

Minnesota plays in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area and part of the reason of being called United is because of that: Uniting those two areas. Admittedly the United part of the name is a bit bland and all reasons for being called United have tons of marketing speak behind them. The MLS should never have let Atlanta take the name knowing Minnesota was joining, but at least Minnesota had a reason to keep the United part of their name when they came to MLS. It's like the Minnesota Twins being called Twins because of the 2 cities, being called United because you're uniting those 2 cities at least has some sort of meaning behind it. Saying they took the name for no reason is a bit disingenuous of the situation. Except for Atlanta, cuz screw Atlanta. 

21 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

It was my understanding, and I could be mis-remembering, that *one* of the factors/explanations in choosing "United" in Atlanta was the fact that Atlanta already had a professional soccer club that played in the NASL (Atlanta Silverbacks...RIP), and that the MLS franchise would "Unite the community under one singular club." Also the fact that Atlanta is a city of immigrants and transplants...with many of the immigrants still remaining loyal to the clubs their families always supported. It was about "uniting" those biases for one MLS franchise.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

9 hours ago, nash61 said:

Put me in the Monarchs camp. I think it's a really under-used identity (Kansas City - Negro Leagues Baseball, Sacramento - WNBA, and Manchester - ECHL are the only ones I can think of that have used it) for the Queen City, I think it would be perfect.

Real Monarchs, defending USL champs

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

It was my understanding, and I could be mis-remembering, that *one* of the factors/explanations in choosing "United" in Atlanta was the fact that Atlanta already had a professional soccer club that played in the NASL (Atlanta Silverbacks...RIP), and that the MLS franchise would "Unite the community under one singular club." Also the fact that Atlanta is a city of immigrants and transplants...with many of the immigrants still remaining loyal to the clubs their families always supported. It was about "uniting" those biases for one MLS franchise.

Any simpleton can figure out why MN uses United, but it takes a real marketer to understand Atlanta.

15 hours ago, nash61 said:

6 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Real Monarchs, defending USL champs

jpeg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I understand why most people don’t like Euro-inspired names, but some of those make more sense than others. City, Wanderers, or just FC is understandable enough, but the problem with names like Real, Sporting, and Inter is that it has to be explained. It has to be justified. Us soccer nerds know that RSL was inspired by Real Madrid, Sporting KC by Sporting Lisbon, and Inter Miami by Inter Milan, but where does that leave people new to following the sport? To us it’s a cute little reference, but it’s alienating to those who aren’t in on the joke, of which there are still very many.

Archived