Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

54 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Maybe it was seeing it in the context of this thread, but I'd never connected how much the Monarchs logo looks like the City of Charlotte's:

charlotte_ogimage.jpg

It's similar, but the Charlotte crown is older, starting use in 1983, according to this article. The Monarchs began play in '91. Of course, both logos implement an "M" in a crown (for Monarchs, obviously, but for Mecklenburg County on the Charlotte logo). Recently the city "rebranded" with a new color set and a different style but the crown itself hasn't changed. That said, it's still a trademark of the city government and any private business that uses it has a five-year grace period before having to negotiate royalties with the city thanks to new rules regarding the lending of the mark to the tourism board. I'm hoping that Tepper's willing to pay the city to at least use the crown in the logo, a knock-off crown would feel cheap and uninspired.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, QCS said:

Recently the city "rebranded" with a new color set and a different style but the crown itself hasn't changed.

Good call, @Waffles on the Charlotte vs. London Monarchs logos. I'd never made that connection before, either

The crown did change slightly with the new rebrand. The stroke weight seems to be a little thinner on the new one - most noticeably on the dot at the top, and how the two inside lines come closer to touching the vertical line at the bottom on the old vs. the new. Where the two inside lines meet the vertical line (right under the dot), they meet at a curve - on the new one, it's at an angle. Weird, because the "legs" on the old one are straighter - on the new one, they're curved. 

Old:

Charlotte-logo.jpg

New: 

charlotte_ogimage.jpg

21 minutes ago, QCS said:

Of course, both logos implement an "M" in a crown (for Monarchs, obviously, but for Mecklenburg County on the Charlotte logo).

Do you have a source for this? I've never heard it - and the "M" idea doesn't quite work as well with the old one.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On 7/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, agentrygraphics said:

It was my understanding, and I could be mis-remembering, that *one* of the factors/explanations in choosing "United" in Atlanta was the fact that Atlanta already had a professional soccer club that played in the NASL (Atlanta Silverbacks...RIP), and that the MLS franchise would "Unite the community under one singular club." Also the fact that Atlanta is a city of immigrants and transplants...with many of the immigrants still remaining loyal to the clubs their families always supported. It was about "uniting" those biases for one MLS franchise.

Sure but I feel like that’s a flimsy rationalization that would work in just about every market on the continent. teams use “United” at every level of NA soccer just because it sounds Soccer-y, which is fine but it’s become more tedious. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Good call, @Waffles on the Charlotte vs. London Monarchs logos. I'd never made that connection before, either

The crown did change slightly with the new rebrand. The stroke weight seems to be a little thinner on the new one - most noticeably on the dot at the top, and how the two inside lines come closer to touching the vertical line at the bottom on the old vs. the new. Where the two inside lines meet the vertical line (right under the dot), they meet at a curve - on the new one, it's at an angle. Weird, because the "legs" on the old one are straighter - on the new one, they're curved. 

Old:

Charlotte-logo.jpg

New: 

charlotte_ogimage.jpg

Do you have a source for this? I've never heard it - and the "M" idea doesn't quite work as well with the old one.

That's actually not the new logo, the one looks like this:

spacer.png

Which actually switches out the bottom part of the crown for a rectangle instead of a curved rectangle, so I was wrong anyway. Must've misremembered. As for the "M", I may have just made that up, but I think I heard it somewhere and it makes sense to me. Not sure about that, though.

Charlotte Town sounds like a legitimate English team playing in League One/Two.

Charlotte Crown is the same except it currently plays in National League South.

Charlotte Athletic is also the same but plays WAAAY lower than any of the two National League conferences.

Seriously, just play in England, Charlotte.

7 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I love all the color suggestions so far, but is there any chance they don’t go with the Panthers scheme? How often do two teams with mutual ownerships and sharing a stadium have different colors?

Steinbrenner owned the Yankees and the Nets and Disney owned the Angels and Mighty Ducks. Same today with the MSG Company and the Knicks and Rangers and Jimmy Haslam with the Browns and Crew. I can't think of any examples involving an owner of one team getting an expansion franchise, though.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Steinbrenner owned the Yankees and the Nets and Disney owned the Angels and Mighty Ducks. Same today with the MSG Company and the Knicks and Rangers and Jimmy Haslam with the Browns and Crew. I can't think of any examples involving an owner of one team getting an expansion franchise, though.

I mean the Yankees own NYCFC but they don't share a color scheme. I bet blue will be a common thread but I would like something brighter than blue and black, personally.

2 hours ago, QCS said:

I mean the Yankees own NYCFC but they don't share a color scheme. I bet blue will be a common thread but I would like something brighter than blue and black, personally.

City Football Group owns most of NYCFC and they have a similar color scheme with most of the teams

Today they’re teasing logo and colors. And it makes some sense. Based on what I see: 

Carolina Blue = a perfect primary color linking Charlotte MLS to the Carolina Panthers.

Purple = a color used by royalty, a perfect trim color providing brand separation from the NFL club

I’ll predict the name is Charlotte Town FC with the crown being prominently featured in the badge.

NYCdog.png

10 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

https://twitter.com/charlottemls/status/1283755816580009987?s=21

Today they’re teasing logo and colors. And it makes some sense. Based on what I see: 

Carolina Blue = a perfect primary color linking Charlotte MLS to the Carolina Panthers.

Purple = a color used by royalty, a perfect trim color providing brand separation from the NFL club

I’ll predict the name is Charlotte Town FC with the crown being prominently featured in the badge.

Here's the glimpse of the crown from the video:

Rs7N0FK.jpg

9 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

So basically the MCFC 2019-20 kit?

spacer.png

The color tease looks like it’s got a little more green in the blue than MCFC does (so a little closer to teal on the spectrum than sky blue), but otherwise I think that’s a good visual comparison. And if that’s the direction, then I’m totally on board.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Absolutely gorgeous, it's everything I could've wanted the colors to be. With the emphasis on the crown I think we can safely eliminate anything "Carolina" (thank god) and the two most likely options are Charlotte Crown FC and Charlotte Town FC with Monarchs FC close behind. 

Archived