Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

The franchise, which starts play next season, released this teaser today:

The team filed for trademarks on several options last year: Charlotte FC, Charlotte Crown FC, Charlotte Fortune FC, Charlotte Monarchs FC, Charlotte Athletic FC, Charlotte Town FC, Carolina Gliders FC and All Carolina FC.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Ugh, i don't like any of those names...i guess I prefer Carolina Gliders, because it's not a "euro-fied" name? Hoping they at least get the colors right, by embracing teal as the main color. No one in MLS uses it, and it can make for a sharp look if done well.

Seconding the teal idea

Fingers crossed tight for Town FC, but I could live with both Monarchs and Crown. None of our professional sports teams actually reference the "Queen City" nickname so I wouldn't mind it. Anything with Carolina is a non-starter, though. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Charlotte Town with teal as the primary color and either indigo or black as the secondary color would be awesome. Sure, either color scheme would be piggy backing off the Hornets or (kinda sorta*) Panthers, but they are both great color schemes that are already used in the region and aren’t being used in the MLS; might as well own one of them (or both if you want to use one for an alt/clash. They could feasibly do teal/indigo on one kit, heavy black/teal trim on another). 

*”Kinda sorta” meaning I get the Panthers aren’t exactly teal, but the right hue of teal paired with black could evoke a similar look.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

19 hours ago, Waffles said:

The team filed for trademarks on several options last year: Charlotte FC, Charlotte Crown FC, Charlotte Fortune FC, Charlotte Monarchs FC, Charlotte Athletic FC, Charlotte Town FC, Carolina Gliders FC and All Carolina FC.

I'm really excited for this.

"Charlotte Town FC" and "Charlotte Crown FC" stood out to me at the beginning.

..but "Charlotte Fortune FC" is really growing on me. Ties in the historical relationship with money (the first gold rush in the United States was just a few miles away, and led to the establishment of the Charlotte Mint, producer of gold coins from the 1830s-60s) and more modern banking industry. Mint green and gold as a color scheme? Unique. Think of all the money-related merchandise that would absolutely fly off the shelves.

I could live with "Charlotte FC," "Charlotte Athletic FC," and "Charlotte Monarchs FC" but I'm not crazy about the names themselves. I could be swayed one way or another with a good branding package.

"Carolina Gliders FC" and "All Carolina FC" are big nopes.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

A few weeks ago there was something on here that said both Carolinas will be represented in the name...at the time my guess was Carolinas United or something to that effect...but now I'm thinking it'll be All Carolina FC.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Mint green and gold as a color scheme? Unique. Think of all the money-related merchandise that would absolutely fly off the shelves.

I'm hoping they do something very, very close to this:

2019-20-fc-internazionale-milano-away-ki

16 minutes ago, Waffles said:

I'm hoping they do something very, very close to this:

2019-20-fc-internazionale-milano-away-ki

1. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what team is that?

2. That color is a perfect match between the Hornets' more blue-ish teal and the mint green suggested by SC49erfan15.  And that whole scheme is fantastic. 

It is what it is.

1 minute ago, B-Rich said:

1. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what team is that?

Inter Milan

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

If we do get Fortune, I'd love to see green as the main color so we can call the team the Greenbacks. I'm really hoping for a scheme like the mint green/blue that Mint City Collective, the support group, uses.

spacer.png

It's a nice color scheme and mint is sorely underused in professional sports.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I actually like All Carolina FC. If they want to go the European route, that’s the way to do it IMO. I get the historical significance behind Charlotte Town, but calling one of biggest cities in the south a town sounds strange.

ExJworW.png

4 hours ago, Fjm said:

Why Town? 

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The city was originally chartered as the Town of Charlotte in 1768 and colloquially known as Charlotte Town or Charlotte Towne by early settlers. 

Adding to this, Town appended to the geographic name is fairly common in English football: Grimsby Town, Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luten Town, Northampton Town, Swindon Town, etc.

If the MLS ends up with a Town FC and a City FC, all it would be missing would be a County FC.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived