Pro Lacrosse 2020: PLL vs MLL

4_tattoos

The link below shows the 2019 schedule.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/schedule/premier-lacrosse-league/l-254

The short version is that the 6 teams played a 10 game, double round robin schedule.  The season was played in 10 different cities, with a doubleheader (usually on Saturday) and a single game (usually on Sunday) each week.  There were then two rounds of playoffs played in two additional cities.

In case it wasn't clear from the discussion above, the PLL teams aren't assigned cities or given city names.  They're just given nicknames/team names.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

One of the goals of the PLL is to make the sport more accessible to a diverse group of people.  I don't know if the NLL or MLL even have that in their plans. 

I'm sure they do to some degree, since that makes good business sense.  However, I'm not sure they come right out and say it or emphasize it.

In terms of marketing, the MLL certainly seems to be more traditional than the PLL.  The PLL treats lacrosse as a little bit more of an XXXtreme sport.

I haven't really followed the NLL in years since there hasn't been a team in Baltimore since the 90s(?), so I don't know where it falls on that spectrum.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

One of the goals of the PLL is to make the sport more accessible to a diverse group of people.  I don't know if the NLL or MLL even have that in their plans. 

That's just traditional business thinking (seek out underlooked markets for potential profit) updated for The Current Year. Same mentality told Gary Bettman 30 years ago that the NHL needed a bunch of teams in the South. Now, it's not the unmitigated disaster that a lot of traditional fans have said it is, but some markets just haven't taken to the sport. 

I'm sure that PLL will get some success with non-traditional lacrosse markets so more power to them if it works.

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I'm sure that PLL will get some success with non-traditional lacrosse markets so more power to them if it works.

FWIW before COVID struck the 2020 PLL tour was going to visit Cary NC, Kennesaw GA, Twin Cities MN area, Sandy UT & Portland OR in additional to some traditional LAX stronghold sites. That's quite a few of non-tradtional markets to visit in only year 2 of the league's existence. Half the freakin schedule. I definitely wouldn't have been that bold so soon if I was running the league. Perhaps the Rabils know something we all don't about those locations.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

So US Lacrosse has taken a side? 

Meanwhile MLL has updated broadcasting for their season. Their championship game will now be on the main ESPN channel instead of ESPN2.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

So US Lacrosse has taken a side? 

Meanwhile MLL has updated broadcasting for their season. Their championship game will now be on the main ESPN channel instead of ESPN2.

US Lacrosse likely came on board the PLL because they have an actual vision on how to make the game more diverse and accessible to everyone, not just to rich kids.  

On 7/11/2020 at 11:54 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I know that I was a lot more interested in Paul Rabil when he was a member of the New York Lizards or the Boston Cannons than I am now that he is the impresario of the PLL and a player/owner with something called Atlas, even though I am ideologically predisposed to support a player-run league.

I found myself the same way. I ended up (as much as I could) cheering for Chaos, because they had Brodie Merrill, who was captain of my hometown Hamilton Nationals for the year that I covered the team. Brodie is an incredible guy, and I ended up cheering for them simply because of him. Without his history from the Nationals, I wouldn't have cared about any team in particular.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For those of you with ESPN+, the MLL season starts tomorrow. I'm gonna have to wait until Sunday to check them out. Hopefully they'll upload game highlights to their YouTube channel.

spacer.png

Chesapeake looked impressive after their slow start against the Lizards. They are the defending champs though, guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

SN: The MLL uniforms remind me of football uniforms from the early 2000's. Seems like a lot of unnecessary stripes and panels. With the exception of the new Chaos dark jersey, the PLL's uniforms look pretty simple in comparison.

From a design POV, new buckets for almost every team in the PLL.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

MLL Semifinals: Denver vs Boston // Connecticut vs Chesapeake

PLL Championship Series starts tomorrow with Whipsnakes vs Redwoods on NBC

Archived