Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stadium Sponsor FedEx Asks Washington Redskins To Change Nickname

July 3, 2020 - 00:15 AM

FedEx Corporation, a delivery service that holds the naming rights the stadium in which the Washington Redskins play, made a request on Thursday evening asking the team to change its nickname. “We have communicated to the team in Washington our request that they change the team name,” FedEx said in

Read More...

1 minute ago, Fjm said:

Pigskins would be the best new name, right?

Eh. I like the idea of "Warriors". Completely drop any connections to the R*dskins name and focus on the spear as the main logo of the team and I think that'd help the team's PR by completely removing ties to that former name.

The Athletic already did their Thoughtful Examination piece last week, which, read between the lines, is a demand to change the name. That's why I'm stuck defending the Redskins, because for all the "oh but the Blackhawks do it respectfully" talk, we know in our hearts it's give an inch, take a mile, and I don't want them involved with a team I actually like.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Woof. More pressure on the pile.

Betting he'll get pressure from the other NFL owners, too. No merchandising money means he isn't upholding his 1/32 of the pie.

It's where I sit.

Combine this with Nike not selling their merchandise on their site anymore and a change almost feels inevitable now. Snyder is a terrible guy who will do the wrong thing almost every single time, but I have a hard time believing that he'll be able to overlook the money he loses because of this. 

I'd be interested to see if they would do something like Warriors in order to keep the identity as close as possible to the current one or if they would opt to avoid the Native American connection entirely. Personally, I'm inclined to think they move away from all of that and embrace something new that avoids all potential trouble. Whether that be Redhawks, Redtails, Pigskins, or some random patriotic thing, there's a lot of good options there.

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Athletic already did their Thoughtful Examination piece last week, which, read between the lines, is a demand to change the name. That's why I'm stuck defending the Redskins, because for all the "oh but the Blackhawks do it respectfully" talk, we know in our hearts it's give an inch, take a mile, and I don't want them involved with a team I actually like.

Who's this "them"? Nike doesn't care about the NHL.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

With the way things are going, I think the NFL will eventually force Dan Snyder to change the name. I think they should leave their logo and uniforms alone and just change the name and call the team the Washington Rebels. 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

With the way things are going, I think the NFL will eventually force Dan Snyder to change the name. I think they should leave their logo and uniforms alone and just change the name and call the team the Washington Rebels. 

Bait GIF

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And Rebels is an improvement how?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived