Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

A football team is changing its name? When did that happen?

I was getting nervous and itchy about the word "legislature" and mention of state politics that this thing was on it's way to LockTown right when things were going fairly well.

Anyway, was talking to my boss who is a lifelong Redskins fan about this today.  He's...it's weird.  He understands but he also is terribly unhappy about the change.  Probably par for the course on the issue, but what I thought was interesting is that he doesn't care so much about the colors staying as he does the direction of the brand.  He's horrified they're going to become just another generic "warriors" or "Wildcats" type of deal where the name and brand doesn't mean anything anymore, and that a ~90 year old team is suddenly going to have its soul ripped out, replaced with a painfully blah mascot that has a single purpose:  Never offending anyone at any point ever again. 

I appreciate his fears, but I told him one thing to take away as a positive is that the team doesn't have a lot of time to do the rebrand.  If they had a TON of time, I'd be worried they'd overcook the brand into some Nikespeak diarrhea cannon.  With only a few weeks to do this, maybe there won't be enough time for corporate tendrils to eviscerate anything interesting.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

I was getting nervous and itchy about the word "legislature" and mention of state politics that this thing was on it's way to LockTown right when things were going fairly well.

It was a reply to Gothamite. I had full confidence that he wouldn't let it wouldn't go south. And he didn't.

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Anyway, was talking to my boss who is a lifelong Redskins fan about this today.  He's...it's weird.  He understands but he also is terribly unhappy about the change.  Probably par for the course on the issue, but what I thought was interesting is that he doesn't care so much about the colors staying as he does the direction of the brand.  He's horrified they're going to become just another generic "warriors" or "Wildcats" type of deal where the name and brand doesn't mean anything anymore, and that a ~90 year old team is suddenly going to have its soul ripped out, replaced with a painfully blah mascot that has a single purpose:  Never offending anyone at any point ever again. 

I appreciate his fears, but I told him one thing to take away as a positive is that the team doesn't have a lot of time to do the rebrand.  If they had a TON of time, I'd be worried they'd overcook the brand into some Nikespeak diarrhea cannon.  With only a few weeks to do this, maybe there won't be enough time for corporate tendrils to eviscerate anything interesting.

I get that particular concern.  I was in grad school at Eastern Michigan when they went from Hurons to Eagles. Most of the students in my circle weren't overly concerned with the change (of course, it was the art department, which is never a hotbed of school spirit), but there was quite a bit of disappointment over the announcement of the lame replacement "Eagles"... Sooo uselessly generic.

Just now, infrared41 said:

It was a reply to Gothamite. I had full confidence that he wouldn't let it wouldn't go south. And he didn't.

It wasn't you two I was worried about.  Some of it trod dangerously close to the ritualistic trigger language that bring the thread-breakers out from under their respective rocks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Tell him Washington Dragons is available. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

10 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

That's an interesting angle, but my fear is that Nikespeak, being the diarrhea that it is, doesn't take that much time to compose. Maybe it's always as bad as it is because the copywriters spend 99% of their time screwing around on the CCSLC and then slap something together right before the deadline.

I've maintained that "redskin" had become this strange sort of orphaned slur, where the answer to "would you call me a redskin" is an emphatic "no" because not only would it be rude, it would make no sense; unlike a lot of other words that remain in active use (not listing them here), the word had seem to come to exist only as the name of the Washington team. It's never felt great, but I guess it squared the circle enough for their fans to make it through the day. But people who believe words are ever-evolving and will fight the hated linguistic prescriptivists to the death preserved this one in amber anyway. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Marlboro Reds + Old Golds, yeah, I can't unsee it. 

Do Old Gold cigarettes still exist? Is that one of those cases where some Chinese company bought a dead brand and put it on cheap crap?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I keep circling back to the name “Spirits.”

I actually really like this.

Lands in the sweet spot for me of being unique whilst simultaneously sounding inherently "major league".

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

What about DC Militia?  Rolls off the tongue nicely, and you could fold in Revolutionary War influences into the branding.  Obviously would want to avoid modern iterations of Militias, but I dunno.  "DC Militia" sounds cool.

twitter

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I've maintained that "redskin" had become this strange sort of orphaned slur, where the answer to "would you call me a redskin" is an emphatic "no" because not only would it be rude, it would make no sense;

One would think, but... About two years ago, I was called a redskin by someone who thought it was funny. If memory serves, he said "you Redskin, how" with his had held up like he was an Indian in a John Wayne movie. He then proceeded to throw in "wampum" and "me this" and "you that." Hilarious stuff. My guess is he would have never said that to a "full blood" but he had no problem saying it to me. That's not to say it's still common, but it is definitely still out there.

EDIT: Then again, my own grandmother used to refer to us (herself included) as "injuns." Strange world we live in.

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, CherryMX said:

What about DC Militia?  Rolls off the tongue nicely, and you could fold in Revolutionary War influences into the branding.  Obviously would want to avoid modern iterations of Militias, but I dunno.  "DC Militia" sounds cool.

Tell us more about the Patriots. 

DC Militia wouldn’t go over well in DC in 2020. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Tell us more about the Patriots. 

Meh, that kind of line of thought doesn't apply to the Panthers/Jags, Ravens/Cardinals/Eagles/Falcons does it?  As long as the proposed DC Militia didn't have Paul Patriot snapping the ball in their branding or a generic white dude in a tricorn I'm sure it would be fine. 

twitter

3 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Meh, that kind of line of thought doesn't apply to the Panthers/Jags, Ravens/Cardinals/Eagles/Falcons does it?  As long as the proposed DC Militia didn't have Paul Patriot snapping the ball in their branding or a generic white dude in a tricorn I'm sure it would be fine.

The Patriots literally have militia men firing guns in the endzones after scores. It's literally the exact same concept if the focus is on the Revolutionary War. 

https://www.patriots.com/news/the-patriot-act-a-look-at-the-endzone-militia-295526

Just now, WSU151 said:

The Patriots literally have militia men firing guns in the endzones after scores. It's literally the exact same concept if the focus is on the Revolutionary War. 

Fine fine, let's abandon the Revolutionary War branding.  I'd settle for some kind of military inspired roundels and emblems, so long as they don't involve camouflage.  That work for you?

41774639-military-logos-of-special-force

military-symbol-icons-logos-special-260n

mat-6-pc-basrelief.jpg

twitter

3 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Fine fine, let's abandon the Revolutionary War branding.  I'd settle for some kind of military inspired roundels and emblems, so long as they don't involve camouflage.  That work for you?

It still sucks. 

So many better names. 

The political demographics of DC would never support some "DC Militia" name. 

Archived