Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

On 11/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, burgundy said:

Dan Snyder actually considered adding black to the uniforms in the early 2000s. If he considered it once, it's certainly possible he'll consider it again. And saying they'll keep the colors doesn't mean they won't add a color.

spacer.png

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2020 at 5:30 PM, burgundy said:

Dan Snyder actually considered adding black to the uniforms in the early 2000s. If he considered it once, it's certainly possible he'll consider it again. And saying they'll keep the colors doesn't mean they won't add a color.

spacer.png

It was when Spurrier was brought in to Head Coach. My cousin managed the retail store in the stadium and the merch was very black accented. He was told they were considering changing the jerseys the following  year. I have a stadium parka, I worked game day, from that era somewhere. 

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Not sure if this is edited or if it is, how much it is, but the picture definitely shows the difference in shades between the helmet and uniform

spacer.png

They should probably consider the Minnesota Vikings color correction treatment for next year

spacer.png

The jerseys look unusually bright in that picture. Almost looks like the 90s shade. It's usually a better match. Not perfect, but better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I understand it's just meant to be temporary, but how hard would it have been to get the helmet numbers to match the jerseys? The plain yellow numbers just look cheap & tacked on. 

If they had removed the sleeve numbers (maybe even replaced them with a gold WFT circle patch) and changed the branding and nameplate lettering to gold, it would all work nicely. Details matter, however, and the current composition is indeed a bit of an aesthetic mess.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly, they should have just said they were changing the name for 2021 and spend this year getting it right. What were people gonna do, drive to a Landover parking lot and protest a game no one's allowed to go to?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I understand it's just meant to be temporary, but how hard would it have been to get the helmet numbers to match the jerseys? The plain yellow numbers just look cheap & tacked on. 

What I still don't understand was the removal of the helmet stripes. There was nothing racist about those.

6uXNWAo.png

3 minutes ago, Cujo said:

What I still don't understand was the removal of the helmet stripes. There was nothing racist about those.

Separating then  from now from the past. It was an easy visual to help make the point that they are WFT, not their old name.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Separating then  from now from the past. It was an easy visual to help make the point that they are WFT, not their old name.

They were also a vestigial part of the ‘70s set, left over into the ‘80s-present design. Outside of the gold pants, the stripe patter matched nothing on the uniforms.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The New Name for Washington's NFL Team: The Washington Football Team - WSJ

Washington Football Coach Ron Rivera Speaks Out About Quarterback Changes -  uSports.org

Damn you're right, look at that night and day difference! How could anyone confuse the previous identity of 80 years now that the helmet stripes are gone!  :)  But in seriousness, they look WAY better with stripes

On 11/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, burgundy said:

The team's blog link and the Gameplan link are dead, but TruColor seemed to know what he was talking about, so I'll take his word that it was legit.

I still have that PDF on me, mostly for laughs.  The bulk of those designs are still every bit the aesthetic atrocities they were a decade ago.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

6 hours ago, Discrim said:

I still have that PDF on me, mostly for laughs.  The bulk of those designs are still every bit the aesthetic atrocities they were a decade ago.

It's strange for Washington to adopt black as part of their colour scheme. It makes the whole jersey darker and that's not very good design. Good thing it didn't become a reality.

2 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

It's strange for Washington to adopt black as part of their colour scheme. It makes the whole jersey darker and that's not very good design. Good thing it didn't become a reality.

What makes darkening a jersey “not very good” design?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Part of me wishes Washington’s temporary branding was a bit more old-school. I feel like something similar to the old Senators “W” would’ve been a fine temporary logo, with a wordmark to match of course. I think you could pull off that feel with Futura, perhaps. 

Old Senators “W” I’m referring to:

spacer.png

Something like that on the helmet instead of numbers looks really good in my head.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

29 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Part of me wishes Washington’s temporary branding was a bit more old-school. I feel like something similar to the old Senators “W” would’ve been a fine temporary logo, with a wordmark to match of course. I think you could pull off that feel with Futura, perhaps. 

Old Senators “W” I’m referring to:

spacer.png

Something like that on the helmet instead of numbers looks really good in my head.

I can see why they didn’t though. It would be to hard to fight copyright for it. Atleast with the current “W” it’s styled enough to where they can fight it and tell the guys selling unofficial merchandise to not use their logo.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Washington Senators may have had one of the weakest brands of any sports team.

The Sens MK I/American League Nationals had a truly non-existent brand. It was pretty hard to incorporate influences from them for NL Nationals concepts.

Archived