rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

9 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Yea, I imagine they will look like this next season and in 2021.

6W39xi4.jpg

Essentially like Topps football cards from the 70s. 

Amazon.com: 1979 Topps # 276 Bob Kuziel Washington Redskins ...

51 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

It's been said and will be said again, but this is the direction they should go, letting the name be something fairly unremarkable and the classic look speak for itself.

2015318_display_image.jpg

I love that color scheme, but they've already announced that they're dropping all First Nations imagery.

Posted (edited)

[MOD EDIT: Trolling and attempting to derail. Per this post, review is underway for disciplinary action.]

Seriously, I think Washington Gridlock would make the most sense.

Edited by officeglenn

10 hours ago, New_Member said:

Real, unique, indigenous and specific animal names work better than generic ones. Think Diamondback vs. Snake, or Terrapin vs. Turtle, or Seahawk vs. Hawk, or Bengal (not indigenous of course) vs. Tiger, or Oriole vs. Bird, or Marlin vs. Fish.

For the record, a red wolf is a particular species (or subspecies) of wolf. So it's actually more specific than your examples diamondback, terrapin, oriole, or marlin, each of which are terms covering several species.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Bluefalcon said:

[MOD EDIT: Trolling and attempting to derail. Per this post, review is underway for disciplinary action.]

Seriously, I think Washington Gridlock would make the most sense.

MOD EDIT

Edited by officeglenn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

Well, I guess we're ALL in agreement now.

The DC Redtails. 

MOD EDIT: Not going there. Sorry.

Edited by infrared41

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Regarding the trademark issue that's been brought up a bunch of times (them continuing to sell their old stuff just to maintain the trademark) didn't courts rule that they can't have a trademark on it?  Or was it just the name?  I could swear that there's something about not being able to trademark slurs or 'hate speech' or something like that.

As I recall the trademark appeals board invalidated the name as being derogatory. But in a separate case decided while Washington appealed the ruling, the Supreme Court ruled trademark law's proscription of derogatory marks unconstitutionally abridged the right to free speech. As a result, the previous ruling in the Washington case became moot and the team could continue to protect their name.

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I love that color scheme, but they've already announced that they're dropping all First Nations imagery.

Ahh.  Must've missed that.  Welp, we shall see, I guess. 

Fingers crossed it's not a Brandiose-style treatment.

1 hour ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Like........?

Cherries is another term for boobs

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

So what? America's best commodity is the women's breast sizes. MIght as well have 'em.

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Pretty sure that's not what OldSchoolVikings was referring to. Experience is a wonderful thing.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

2 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

So what? America's best commodity is the women's breast sizes. MIght as well have 'em.

Get back on topic, boys. There are plenty of fine places to have your current discussion and this place isn't any of them.

Just now, infrared41 said:

Get back on topic, boys. There are plenty of fine places to have your current discussion and this place isn't any of them.

But on a serious note, Cherries may sound collegiate to many sports fans out there. And while I admit it has some cough;perveted;cough meaning, Cherries is both a fun nickname to pick form and a word with historical/cultural connections.

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The team announced that?

On 7/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, the admiral said:

I have never heard cherries for boobs. 

Its more of an Albany expression.

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

This thread feels like a trap...

We're not supposed to use that word anymore either

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

We're not supposed to use that word anymore either

Dead meme, right?

spacer.png

Don’t worry, I know what you actually meant. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Regarding the trademark issue that's been brought up a bunch of times (them continuing to sell their old stuff just to maintain the trademark) didn't courts rule that they can't have a trademark on it?  Or was it just the name?  I could swear that there's something about not being able to trademark slurs or 'hate speech' or something like that.

Actually, the ruling in another case acknowledged that you CAN trademark something that somebody else could find offensive. Case involved a band with Asian musicians that called themselves The Slants.