Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Moseph said:

I've been a Redskins fan for the last 20 years, so while I get that some find the name offensive and that this is a sponsorship driven move, it's sad to see 88 years of history and tradition go as well. I was hoping they'd change the name but leave the logos and uniforms alone but obviously that's not gonna happen. I'm not really sure what direction I hope they go in as nothing as really stuck out to me yet. I definitely want them to keep the color scheme that way there will be some connection to the past, but I don't really care if they go with an 'R' name or not because HTTR will always mean Hail to the Redskins.

Does anyone know what might happen to Redskins stuff in the Hall of Fame? I've never been so I don't know what it's like there but will the name and logos be allowed? It would be weird if they removed all of it from places like that because the great players from the past were never a part of whatever the new team name will be.

I wouldn't quite throw the baby out with the bathwater.  I think given time, it'll simply be viewed in a comparable fashion to the Steagles or Staleys, Chicago Cardinals, etc.  Like a relocation without the actual relocation.  The Redskins name will be viewed with much more ease in coming years now that the team has taken the steps to close the book on that particular brand.  There likely won't be any changes to the HOF, I'd imagine.

If I was a fan, I'd be conflicted as hell, but so many concerns could be assuaged if the new branding keeps the colors and isn't something horribly unlikeable. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If they went with Warriors, they could easily do a Washington Monument inspired sword and have 70th season inspired uniforms.

The sword thing is already happening in Nashville though, plus the league has swords in the Tampa and Las Vegas identities. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think they need to NOT be hung up on making #HTTR still work. As a Packer fan, if we had to lose "Packers", the last thing I would want is to have a nickname be hemmed into some notion that Go Name Go had to work in the same manner as Go Pack Go. I'd want to turn the page so as to not be reminded of what used to be -- move it forward and start something new.

And before you say 'yeah, that ain't happening', it seems very much like divorce, even an amicable one. I'm very familiar with that concept 🙂

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The sword thing is already happening in Nashville though, plus the league has swords in the Tampa and Las Vegas identities. 

There’s 5 bird teams and that didn’t stop any of them. If they go Warriors with a sword, that would be 4 “sword in hand” teams. If they went Redtails that would be 2 plane teams. There’s multiple people themed teams as well. Themes are redundant in the league and it’d be tough to pick something that doesn’t draw similarities with the other teams. The difference is how their executed.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

It probably should be removed, or at the very least accompanied by a disclaimer that it is a product of its time and nobody today endorses the racism it represents.  But my suspicion is that they'll just leave everything as-is.

A disclaimer isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't want it removed entirely as it is still a part of NFL history. You can't change history and it shouldn't be erased, we need to learn from our mistakes and continue to move forward. 

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

There’s 5 bird teams and that didn’t stop any of them. If they go Warriors with a sword, that would be 4 “sword in hand” teams. If they went Redtails that would be 2 plane teams. There’s multiple people themed teams as well. Themes are redundant in the league and it’d be tough to pick something that doesn’t draw similarities with the other teams. The difference is how their executed.

A Washington Monument-style sword sounds a lot like the Titans' beveled helmet stripe-sword though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

36 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

I wouldn't quite throw the baby out with the bathwater.  I think given time, it'll simply be viewed in a comparable fashion to the Steagles or Staleys, Chicago Cardinals, etc.  Like a relocation without the actual relocation.  The Redskins name will be viewed with much more ease in coming years now that the team has taken the steps to close the book on that particular brand.  There likely won't be any changes to the HOF, I'd imagine.

If I was a fan, I'd be conflicted as hell, but so many concerns could be assuaged if the new branding keeps the colors and isn't something horribly unlikeable. 

Obviously this is foreign to me and I may be overreacting a little, but I wish there would've been a way to change the name but still honor Native Americans. At least it looks like they'll stick with burgundy and gold, but it would be nice if there was more of a connection to the history of the team rather than just a color scheme and possibly a hashtag.

I don't see this as something that would stop me from following the team but right now it definitely feels like it won't be the same. Just like if they were to move to a new city, a rebrand is going to alienate fans whether it is for this current reason or just something completely out of the blue.

4 hours ago, Survival79 said:

The team announced that?

It wasn't in any of the official communications from the team, but Adam Schefter reported it about a week ago: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/report-redskins-new-name-will-not-have-native-american-imagery (also contains a report of the colour scheme staying, per ESPN's John Keim)

28 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I think they need to NOT be hung up on making #HTTR still work. As a Packer fan, if we had to lose "Packers", the last thing I would want is to have a nickname be hemmed into some notion that Go Name Go had to work in the same manner as Go Pack Go. I'd want to turn the page so as to not be reminded of what used to be -- move it forward and start something new.

And before you say 'yeah, that ain't happening', it seems very much like divorce, even an amicable one. I'm very familiar with that concept 🙂

Yeah I kind of agree with this, they should consider all names whether they have an 'R' or not and pick the best one. Redwolves seems to be the front runner but to me it seems kind of forced to tie into the past, I kind of like the sound of Washington Wolves better if they go that route. To me having an 'R' would be like dating a girl with the same name as your ex. There may be some benefits to it but I'm sure it would be awkward at the same time.

14 minutes ago, Moseph said:

Obviously this is foreign to me and I may be overreacting a little, but I wish there would've been a way to change the name but still honor Native Americans. At least it looks like they'll stick with burgundy and gold, but it would be nice if there was more of a connection to the history of the team rather than just a color scheme and possibly a hashtag.

I don't see this as something that would stop me from following the team but right now it definitely feels like it won't be the same. Just like if they were to move to a new city, a rebrand is going to alienate fans whether it is for this current reason or just something completely out of the blue.

The history of the team is not going anywhere. 

It's highly improbable that the logo on the side of John Riggins's helmet is going to be airbrushed out. It's not as though he was rushing for touchdowns with the explicit purpose of denying indigenous tribes billions in federal funding in Super Bowl XVII. As a piece of history, there's no way around it. Especially in a place like the Hall of Fame. 

You could see unnecessary references to the nickname edited out. For example a brochure or photo caption might state that Chicago beat Washington 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship rather than the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship.

I don't know if maintaining a connection to indigenous imagery is really possible. Part of the reason why names and logos are being changed (including some day my own favorite hockey sweater) is that native imagery doesn't really belong to the teams using it. The football team would have to forge some kind of tribal relationship, such as the FSU Seminoles or the Spokane Indians. Given the Dan Syder's past positions, I doubt we'd see that any time soon, though it might possible under future management. 

31 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The history of the team is not going anywhere. 

It's highly improbable that the logo on the side of John Riggins's helmet is going to be airbrushed out. It's not as though he was rushing for touchdowns with the explicit purpose of denying indigenous tribes billions in federal funding in Super Bowl XVII. As a piece of history, there's no way around it. Especially in a place like the Hall of Fame. 

You could see unnecessary references to the nickname edited out. For example a brochure or photo caption might state that Chicago beat Washington 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship rather than the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship.

I don't know if maintaining a connection to indigenous imagery is really possible. Part of the reason why names and logos are being changed (including some day my own favorite hockey sweater) is that native imagery doesn't really belong to the teams using it. The football team would have to forge some kind of tribal relationship, such as the FSU Seminoles or the Spokane Indians. Given the Dan Syder's past positions, I doubt we'd see that any time soon, though it might possible under future management. 

I get that the history will still be there, but to me there will be a break in the lineage with only having the city, colors, and possibly a hashtag connecting the two versions of the franchise. If they were able to keep the same theme albeit with a new name I think that would help bridge the gap. Maybe I'm just being salty though about it being taken away from us and wouldn't mind if all Native American sports team imagery got rebranded so more fanbases could join in on this misery.

48 minutes ago, Moseph said:

I get that the history will still be there, but to me there will be a break in the lineage with only having the city, colors, and possibly a hashtag connecting the two versions of the franchise.

So, everything but the nickname? That’s not much of a break if you keep everything else.

If they were able to keep the same theme albeit with a new name I think that would help bridge the gap.

It would just make it worse.

Maybe I'm just being salty though about it being taken away from us

MOD EDIT: Unnecessary

See @mcrosby’s post above.

and wouldn't mind if all Native American sports team imagery got rebranded so more fanbases could join in on this misery.

MOD EDIT: This is the second and final time that I'm going to tell you that particular logo is not part of a conversation about renaming the Washington NFL team.

20 minutes ago, Moseph said:

I get that the history will still be there, but to me there will be a break in the lineage with only having the city, colors, and possibly a hashtag connecting the two versions of the franchise. If they were able to keep the same theme albeit with a new name I think that would help bridge the gap. Maybe I'm just being salty though about it being taken away from us and wouldn't mind if all Native American sports team imagery got rebranded so more fanbases could join in on this misery.

The tragedy of inconvenience is real. Stay strong and you will get through these times.

24 minutes ago, Moseph said:

Delete.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived