Birds- 5

Animals- 5

Aircraft- 1

Misc- 4:

Bills - animal ?

Browns

Chargers - animal ?

Giants- People?

And of course Washington is unlisted but would be classified as People.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

FYI- of all NFL teams: the categories and number of teams nicknames listed are:

People -12

Big Cats- 4

Birds- 5

Animals- 5

Aircraft- 1

Misc- 4:

Bills - animal ?

Browns

Chargers - animal ?

Giants- People?

And of course Washington is unlisted but would be classified as People.

The Bills and Browns are both people, named after Buffalo Bill Cody and Paul Brown, respectively

1 hour ago, mcrosby said:

At least it's just a sports team's nickname being taken away and not your land and life. 

I know that is way worse and nothing can even compare to it. I'm not upset about the nickname, as I've stated before I understand that some people find it offensive. I just wish there was a way to keep the logo to honor Native Americans and still be able to keep the lineage of the history going.

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, everything but the nickname? That’s not much of a break if you keep everything else.

It would just make it worse.

MOD EDIT: Unnecessary

See @mcrosby’s post above.

MOD EDIT: This is the second and final time that I'm going to tell you that particular logo is not part of a conversation about renaming the Washington NFL team.

It's not just the nickname going though, its the whole theme this franchise has had over their 88 year history as well.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

The tragedy of inconvenience is real. Stay strong and you will get through these times.

Yeah I know that. Like I said before, I'm probably overreacting and will get over it but it's not any less sad to lose a part of something that you've grown up with.

44 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The letters HTTR?

Or are you saying that "Hail to the RedWolves" may become a semi-suitable replacement for "Hail to the Redskins?"  And if so, would "Hail to the Warriors" not because then HTTR becomes HTTW?

Clinging to those four letters seems odd...I guess I can kinda buy "Hail to the Red...." As better than "Hail to the something else."  It's probably something I just don't understand that people like, like "Rip City."

Yeah, that's the consensus I've gotten from people around here and things I've read online. Personally, I don't really care if it stays as HTTR or becomes something else. To me it will always stand for Hail to the Redskins.

3 hours ago, Moseph said:

I get that the history will still be there, but to me there will be a break in the lineage with only having the city, colors, and possibly a hashtag connecting the two versions of the franchise. If they were able to keep the same theme albeit with a new name I think that would help bridge the gap. Maybe I'm just being salty though about it being taken away from us and wouldn't mind if all Native American sports team imagery got rebranded so more fanbases could join in on this misery.

MOD EDIT: Let's not bring other teams into this. Stay focused on the Washington NFL franchise.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

If I'm going to be honest, I'm surprised this topic is still up. When I logged in, I was expecting to see the little lock icon.

at this point i am thinking since its not locked yet.

Christmas Miracle GIFs | Tenor

so long and thanks for all the fish.

28 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

MOD EDIT: Let's not bring other teams into this. Stay focused on the Washington NFL franchise.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Moseph said:

A disclaimer isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't want it removed entirely as it is still a part of NFL history. You can't change history and it shouldn't be erased, we need to learn from our mistakes and continue to move forward. 

And on the other hand, open racism shouldn’t be presented as if it’s even a little bit okay.  Doesn’t matter what times were like Back Then. 

I just want to be clear with everyone here, while I'm disappointed in the name change because it's all I've ever known, I do understand that some people find it offensive. What I'm actually upset about with this change is losing the brand of the team and not being able to find a way to honor Native Americans. Once the change is complete, to me they might as well just be an expansion team and I'm afraid of them getting a complete trash Nike overhaul which would result in the loss of another great classic look in the league. I get that I only have two options, to either stop following the team or just deal with the change, and I plan on doing the latter. Right about now I wish they had never moved away from the Braves name in 1933 or found something that would've appeased everyone a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

And on the other hand, open racism shouldn’t be presented as if it’s even a little bit okay.  Doesn’t matter what times were like Back Then. 

To be fair, I think it could be presented without it looking even a little bit okay. The trick would be explaining why it lasted until 2020.

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, Moseph said:

I just want to be clear with everyone here, while I'm disappointed in the name change because it's all I've ever known, I do understand that some people find it offensive. What I'm actually upset about with this change is losing the brand of the team and not being able to find a way to honor Native Americans. Once the change is complete, to me they might as well just be an expansion team and I'm afraid of them getting a complete trash Nike overhaul which would result in the loss of another great classic look in the league. I get that I only have two options, to either stop following the team or just deal with the change, and I plan on doing the latter. Right about now I wish they had never moved away from the Braves name in 1933 or found something that would've appeased everyone a long time ago.

If Cleveland can get used to an entirely different franchise posing as the "reborn" Browns, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to survive a different decal on your helmets.

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I definitely understand the issue with the nickname. But is there a good reason to move away from Native American imagery? Like is there not a way to honor and build up people who have long been oppressed? 

Now I am not Native American, so I might be misunderstanding something, or not fully aware, and I am just curious, and want to build up, rather than mock and bring down Native Americans. 

I think we have to defer to Native Americans themselves.  Especially the National Congress of American Indians, which is comprised of representatives from all the federally-recognized tribes.

The NCAI has made it clear that all Native American imagery is offensive and demeaning. None of it “builds them up”.  

I get the sentimental desire to keep something, anything, around.  But there doesn’t seem to be any other responsible choice than to make a clean break. 

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

To be fair, I think it could be presented without it looking even a little bit okay. The trick would be explaining why it lasted until 2020.

“Presented without comment” is an endorsement.  I really think they’ll need to explain each and every instance.

And yes, that will mean including “we ignored Native Americans’ requests until 2020.”

Archived