rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Marlboro Reds + Old Golds, yeah, I can't unsee it. 

Do Old Gold cigarettes still exist? Is that one of those cases where some Chinese company bought a dead brand and put it on cheap crap?

Good question. If Old Golds do exist, they probably aren't very popular. I have to think that they literally killed off most their customer base by the 80's at the latest.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It still sucks. 

So many better names. 

Thanks for the objective and insightful thought you put into your criticism.  Real benefit to this board, having that kind of assessment and analysis.

2 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Thanks for the objective and insightful thought you put into your criticism.  Real benefit to this board, having that kind of assessment and analysis.

Maybe think about the concept for more than two seconds. But I appreciate your snarky hostility. 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Maybe think about the concept for more than two seconds. But I appreciate your snarky hostility. 

No problem.  I look forward to seeing your thoroughly researched MS paint concepts for the "Washington Snake Farts."

8 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Fine fine, let's abandon the Revolutionary War branding.  I'd settle for some kind of military inspired roundels and emblems, so long as they don't involve camouflage.  That work for you?

41774639-military-logos-of-special-force

military-symbol-icons-logos-special-260n

mat-6-pc-basrelief.jpg

I get that the term has other meanings, but leaning into military themes is just a half-step away from becoming the new personal brand for armed alt-right extremists. Yesterday's militia isn't today's militia, even though they use the same word. 

22 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

What about DC Militia?  Rolls off the tongue nicely, and you could fold in Revolutionary War influences into the branding.  Obviously would want to avoid modern iterations of Militias, but I dunno.  "DC Militia" sounds cool.

If I recall my history properly, Washington DC didn't exist during the Revolutionary War. Sure, DC represents American independence, but its ties with the Revolution are relatively tenuous compared to Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Trenton, Charleston, etc.

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I get that the term has other meanings, but leaning into military themes is just a half-step away from becoming the new personal brand for armed alt-right extremists. Yesterday's militia isn't today's militia, even though they use the same word. 

I understand and appreciate that.  I guess I'll refrain from thinking out loud again, as apparently there's no concept outside of Warriors, Red Wolves, or Red Tails that can be entertained.

I'll spend the next two seconds on my design process thinking up a cool way to brand the Washington Pleasant Strolls, or DC Happy Puppies.

11 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Good question. If Old Golds do exist, they probably aren't very popular. I have to think that they literally killed off most their customer base by the 80's at the latest.

Sold a lot of packs of Old Golds in the early and mid-90s while working at a gas station in Minnesota. So those customers lasted at least into the next decade. 

1 minute ago, Mingjai said:

If I recall my history properly, Washington DC didn't exist during the Revolutionary War. Sure, DC represents American independence, but its ties with the Revolution are relatively tenuous compared to Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Trenton, Charleston, etc.

Well sure, but I meant more along the lines of bending the design suggestively toward that era, not explicitly.   Either way, it's probably the worst idea ever suggested in the long history of this forum, so if anyone needs me, I'll be in my local library reading up on how I can become smarter and less of an idiot.  Wish me luck.

1 minute ago, CherryMX said:

I understand and appreciate that.  I guess I'll refrain from thinking out loud again, as apparently there's no concept outside of Warriors, Red Wolves, or Red Tails that can be entertained.

I'll spend the next two seconds on my design process thinking up a cool way to brand the Washington Pleasant Strolls, or DC Happy Puppies.

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but these are forums in which we critique and debate ideas, and participation often requires something of a thicker skin. Don't refrain, just recognize that none of this is meant personally. 

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but these are forums in which we critique and debate ideas, and participation often requires something of a thicker skin. Don't refrain, just recognize that none of this is meant personally. 

You’re fine.  I’m just irked I made a casual suggestion, posited alternatives, and in the end was basically told it was a bad idea and I should feel bad.  

Your response was thoughtful, corrective, and made sense.  Thanks for that.  

49 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

DC Power

That's maybe a bit too punny.  Washington Power has been done a couple of times, though.

220px-WashingtonPower.png  125px-Washington_Power.jpg

What about the Washington Justices?

We have had lots of team names on the Legislative Branch (Capitols, Senators) and the Executive Branch (Blue Jackets, Roughriders), how about the Judicial Branch? 

Just give me this in a roundel on the side of the helmet.

61y6jpNP7ML.jpg

Chief Justice Roberts, and the ghosts of Justices Kennedy and O'Connor, trying to balance on a knife's edge.

I think that one of the problems with the proposed names floating around is that Washington is always seen more macro than micro with everything being capital or military-focused.  Why not go for something that actually reflects the history of the culture of the city itself and not those hired or elected to move in?

WASHINGTON DUKES

I was going to suggest, in a similar vein, a name focused more on the city itself than on it being a seat of power: The Washington Columbians. 

Then I realized that they'd essentially be naming themselves after Christopher Columbus, which opens up a whole different can of worms. 

This is a tough one. Let's call 'em the Maroons and be done with it. :)