rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The letters HTTR?

 

Or are you saying that "Hail to the RedWolves" may become a semi-suitable replacement for "Hail to the Redskins?"  And if so, would "Hail to the Warriors" not because then HTTR becomes HTTW?

 

Clinging to those four letters seems odd...I guess I can kinda buy "Hail to the Red...." As better than "Hail to the something else."  It's probably something I just don't understand that people like, like "Rip City."

Yeah, that's the consensus I've gotten from people around here and things I've read online. Personally, I don't really care if it stays as HTTR or becomes something else. To me it will always stand for Hail to the Redskins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Moseph said:

I get that the history will still be there, but to me there will be a break in the lineage with only having the city, colors, and possibly a hashtag connecting the two versions of the franchise. If they were able to keep the same theme albeit with a new name I think that would help bridge the gap. Maybe I'm just being salty though about it being taken away from us and wouldn't mind if all Native American sports team imagery got rebranded so more fanbases could join in on this misery.


MOD EDIT: Let's not bring other teams into this. Stay focused on the Washington NFL franchise.

Edited by officeglenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

 

If I'm going to be honest, I'm surprised this topic is still up. When I logged in, I was expecting to see the little lock icon.

at this point i am thinking since its not locked yet.

Christmas Miracle GIFs | Tenor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

MOD EDIT: Let's not bring other teams into this. Stay focused on the Washington NFL franchise.

 

MOD EDIT: Let's not bring other teams into this. Stay focused on the Washington NFL franchise.

 

Edited by officeglenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, does anybody else wish that the team finally moves the TV numbers to the shoulders to make room for the stripes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the member suspensions roll in

 

9207f16ada51d21dd5fb9d4774599f5a.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, does anybody else wish that the team finally moves the TV numbers to the shoulders to make room for the stripes?


I still like the sleeve cap numbers with the thinner striping. 
 

it might be nice but I think the thinner stripes would look better than truncated thicker striping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Is anybody else picturing the Mods all pouring big cups of coffee and planning for a late night? 

 

More like this...

 

EBV.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, hugevolsfan said:

The RedGolds is the new name count on it! I have registered a trademark on it just in case. 🙂

 

Ngl that'd be kinda cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moseph said:

A disclaimer isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't want it removed entirely as it is still a part of NFL history. You can't change history and it shouldn't be erased, we need to learn from our mistakes and continue to move forward. 


And on the other hand, open racism shouldn’t be presented as if it’s even a little bit okay.  Doesn’t matter what times were like Back Then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to be clear with everyone here, while I'm disappointed in the name change because it's all I've ever known, I do understand that some people find it offensive. What I'm actually upset about with this change is losing the brand of the team and not being able to find a way to honor Native Americans. Once the change is complete, to me they might as well just be an expansion team and I'm afraid of them getting a complete trash Nike overhaul which would result in the loss of another great classic look in the league. I get that I only have two options, to either stop following the team or just deal with the change, and I plan on doing the latter. Right about now I wish they had never moved away from the Braves name in 1933 or found something that would've appeased everyone a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gothamite said:


And on the other hand, open racism shouldn’t be presented as if it’s even a little bit okay.  Doesn’t matter what times were like Back Then. 

 

To be fair, I think it could be presented without it looking even a little bit okay. The trick would be explaining why it lasted until 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moseph said:

I just want to be clear with everyone here, while I'm disappointed in the name change because it's all I've ever known, I do understand that some people find it offensive. What I'm actually upset about with this change is losing the brand of the team and not being able to find a way to honor Native Americans. Once the change is complete, to me they might as well just be an expansion team and I'm afraid of them getting a complete trash Nike overhaul which would result in the loss of another great classic look in the league. I get that I only have two options, to either stop following the team or just deal with the change, and I plan on doing the latter. Right about now I wish they had never moved away from the Braves name in 1933 or found something that would've appeased everyone a long time ago.

 

If Cleveland can get used to an entirely different franchise posing as the "reborn" Browns, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to survive a different decal on your helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I definitely understand the issue with the nickname. But is there a good reason to move away from Native American imagery? Like is there not a way to honor and build up people who have long been oppressed? 
 

Now I am not Native American, so I might be misunderstanding something, or not fully aware, and I am just curious, and want to build up, rather than mock and bring down Native Americans. 


I think we have to defer to Native Americans themselves.  Especially the National Congress of American Indians, which is comprised of representatives from all the federally-recognized tribes.
 

The NCAI has made it clear that all Native American imagery is offensive and demeaning. None of it “builds them up”.  
 

I get the sentimental desire to keep something, anything, around.  But there doesn’t seem to be any other responsible choice than to make a clean break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

To be fair, I think it could be presented without it looking even a little bit okay. The trick would be explaining why it lasted until 2020.


“Presented without comment” is an endorsement.  I really think they’ll need to explain each and every instance.

 

And yes, that will mean including “we ignored Native Americans’ requests until 2020.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moseph said:

I just want to be clear with everyone here, while I'm disappointed in the name change because it's all I've ever known, I do understand that some people find it offensive. What I'm actually upset about with this change is losing the brand of the team and not being able to find a way to honor Native Americans. Once the change is complete, to me they might as well just be an expansion team and I'm afraid of them getting a complete trash Nike overhaul which would result in the loss of another great classic look in the league. I get that I only have two options, to either stop following the team or just deal with the change, and I plan on doing the latter. Right about now I wish they had never moved away from the Braves name in 1933 or found something that would've appeased everyone a long time ago.


It seems to me that you may be missing the point of this exercise. 
 

Native American names in sports do not, and were never intended to, “honor Native Americans.” 
 

I can appreciate your disappointment over the loss of what you know. But it was never honoring anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gothamite said:


“Presented without comment” is an endorsement.  I really think they’ll need to explain each and every instance.

 

And yes, that will mean including “we ignored Native Americans’ requests until 2020.”

 

Don't think I said "presented without comment" did I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:


And on the other hand, open racism shouldn’t be presented as if it’s even a little bit okay.  Doesn’t matter what times were like Back then

I understand that, but I can't think of anything that has been completely eradicated. Everyone knows what a swastika, the Confederate flag, or what the 'n' word is. While I do not condone any of those, like it or not they are a part of history and something we can all learn from. If we erase all of that from history books or museums, how are we going to learn from past mistakes and make sure they're not repeated in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.