Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

IMHO, as long as Snyder owns the team, they won't change. I'm rooting for all the corporate partnerships to cancel their contracts with Washington and then Snyder will be forced to change the name.

If they do change, pick a name that represents the D.C. area. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything to get away from Native imagery. You can't change to the spear and go by the "Warriors", that's avoiding the issue with the team's identity, which is using Native Americans as mascots. 

I'm all for Redtails, which lets you keep the colors and most of the identity while completely changing course from the slur they use now. It also lets them highlight African-American pilots like the Tuskegee Airmen and become a franchise that advocates for minorities. Just make sure they never use throwbacks from anytime they used the current name. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

IMHO, as long as Snyder owns the team, they won't change. I'm rooting for all the corporate partnerships to cancel their contracts with Washington and then Snyder will be forced to change the name.

If they do change, pick a name that represents the D.C. area. 

It’s going to be changed and don’t be shocked if there’s a press release tomorrow or Monday announcing they’re changing the name. Nike and FedEx want it changed so it will be changed, the potential lost revenue from those two companies is too much for Snyder to be stubborn and it’s too much for the other owners to stand by and allow another franchise to take a drastic hit in value. 

Pigskins. 

Still the skins. The fan base latched into the hogs identity and it still has a little mythos left today. 

Is football related. Original. Exclusively theirs. Could have a gnarly looking hog as the mascot. Or go as more simply and use the aspects of an actual football as the logo. Keep the colors and emphasize the Washington more than the Skins. 

Don't know how this one slipped through. I appreciate how civil this has been so far, but newsbot or not, no discussion of indigenous team naming controversies.

Washington Redskins To Undergo Thorough Review Of Nickname

July 3, 2020 - 16:02 PM

Just one day after stadium sponsor FedEx requested a change, the Washington Redskins on Friday morning announced they will conduct a thorough review of their controversial nickname.  “This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from

Read More...

Note, I in no way advocate for a name change and am on the side of the "Redskins." However, such an event gives us an opportunity to theorize about other potential names the team might use, whether we desire so or not. Here are some of the potential ones I've gathered:

WARRIORS

REDTAILS

AMERICANS

HOGS

PIGSKINS

fiowXOD.png

CCSLC guidelines prohibit discussion of indigenous team naming controversies. If and when the Washington NFL team does change its name, we will allow a thread to discuss it but it will be stringently moderated. Until then, it's all just speculation that leads down roads we've been down before and would rather not go down again.

We are trying to have some leniency in the concepts section so long as those threads stay focused on members' designs and not on the naming controversy itself, but those will get shut down if they get out of hand.

Washington Redskins Retire Name and Logo

July 13, 2020 - 13:32 PM

This morning the Washington Redskins announced via a press release that they would be changing the team’s name as well as their logo. “Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review,” read the release. “[Team owner] Dan Snyder and Coach

Read More...

Please be advised that this discussion will abide by this warning:

Just now, KJTALBOT said:

The name Redskins is racist. The logo is not. Just call them the Americans and be done.

It's best to rip off the bandaid 100% in these instances.

From something I saw on twitter, their chosen new name is being held up with trademark issues.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

ProFootballTalk had a great article on a Trademark squatter that could make some of this more intere$ting. Certain names already "belong" to someone else, including Warriors that Snyder let lapse a few years ago.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/washington-trademark-squatter-adds-to-his-portfolio/

It's where I sit.

Clearly the name is the reason they have had so much pressure to change, but it'd be best to move on from the identity including the logo (despite the "not racist" declarations). You have great colors, great uniforms, just find a dignified name and slap a new logo on the helmet. Clinging to remnants of the Redskins/Native identity seems like folly to me.

Red Wolves is cool. Red Tails is cool. Some sort of pig reference is great. This move could take the team's identity from pariah to one of the top brands in the league (in terms of perception, I know they're already worth a :censored:-ton).

Archived