rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

1 hour ago, disman00911 said:

Whatever they call themselves in the near-future, I'll still refer to them as the "Ex-Redskins" (or "Ex-Skins" or "FedEx-Skins")  I still miss the Houston Oilers (the Tennessee Titans' new look is beyond dreadful though their original look was acceptable). 

Why?

Do you call the Titans the "Ex-Oilers"? Do you still refer to the Rams and Chargers as being from St. Louis and San Diego?

35 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Do you still refer to the Rams and Chargers as being from St. Louis and San Diego?

For the latter, yes. They never should have left San Diego, and it's not like LA has embraced them all that much.

1 hour ago, disman00911 said:

I'll still refer to them as the "Ex-Redskins" (or "Ex-Skins" or "FedEx-Skins") 

I feel like making a declaration such as this is intended to either anti-virtue-signal or incite some heated back and forth.  Or both.  

"Vice-signalling," I like it, interesting. 

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

"Vice-signalling," I like it, interesting. 

Whoa, found a new (to me) term today.  Saving it. 

2 hours ago, disman00911 said:

Despite the controversies surrounding the Washington franchise with this sexual harassment bombshell not helping any matters, Redskins-related memorabilia seem to be in high demand.  I searched "NFL Pennants", "NFL Shirts", "NFL Hoodies", "NFL Posters", "NFL Helmets", etc on eBay just for the fun of it and in most cases the top result is a Redskins item or as I scroll down the page, I noticed a high amount of Redskns gear.  On "NFL Shirts" alone, 14 of the top 15 items as I scrolled on page 1 are Washington Redskins shirts and a few more show up as I scrolled down the page.

Do you not think this is the work of opportunistic collectors and profiteers, instead of actual fans? This tells us nothing.

Cowboys

Giants

Eagles

Red Wolves Red Tails Code Talkers War Hogs etc.

I like Warriors, it just fits in better. 

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

Do you not think this is the work of opportunistic collectors and profiteers, instead of actual fans? This tells us nothing.

That was my reaction.  Says less about the feelings of actual fans and more about what the would-be profiteers think actual fans want.

2 hours ago, disman00911 said:

Despite the controversies surrounding the Washington franchise with this sexual harassment bombshell not helping any matters, Redskins-related memorabilia seem to be in high demand.  I searched "NFL Pennants", "NFL Shirts", "NFL Hoodies", "NFL Posters", "NFL Helmets", etc on eBay just for the fun of it and in most cases the top result is a Redskins item or as I scroll down the page, I noticed a high amount of Redskns gear.  On "NFL Shirts" alone, 14 of the top 15 items as I scrolled on page 1 are Washington Redskins shirts and a few more show up as I scrolled down the page.

I think people are capitalizing on the idea that it's going away, so it's going to be rare. Splash Mountain merchandise is kind of doing the same thing right now.

‘Minority Report’ episode revealed logo for fictional Washington Redclouds

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That was my reaction.  Says less about the feelings of actual fans and more about what the would-be profiteers think actual fans want.

That and, it's week 1.  So even if the profiteers are correct, this doesn't really inform next year, much less next decade.

3 hours ago, disman00911 said:

Whatever they call themselves in the near-future, I'll still refer to them as the "Ex-Redskins" (or "Ex-Skins" or "FedEx-Skins") 

For some reason this reminded me of how creepy Skins sounds out of context. The Washington Skins new mascot:

rs-206564-MCDSIOF_EC049_H.jpg?resize=180

Obligatory

8 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

For some reason this reminded me of how creepy Skins sounds out of context. The Washington Skins new mascot:

rs-206564-MCDSIOF_EC049_H.jpg?resize=180

The Buffalo Bills might have a problem with that :P

1 hour ago, Faxion said:

‘Minority Report’ episode revealed logo for fictional Washington Redclouds

spacer.png

I had totally forgotten about that.

Guess the precogs are right with the broad strokes, but miss some of the details.  ;) 

2 hours ago, CherryMX said:

Whoa, found a new (to me) term today.  Saving it. 

Not only is it a good term, I think it's good practice. By vice-signalling, you can only exceed expectations (see: Howard Stern, Larry Flynt, other scumbags with hearts of gold), virtue-signalling sets expectations that can only be failed. Nostalgie de la boue while the neo-Puritans choke on their own vomit.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Guess the precogs are right with the broad strokes, but miss some of the details.  ;) 

MOD EDIT

Edited by officeglenn
Not going there.