Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

What are peoples' thoughts on wearing older Washington jerseys that don't have the wordmark on them (My Darrell Green jersey, for example)? Is it okay since it doesn't explicitly say the name "Redskins" on it, or is it bad by association since it still represents when they had that name?

spacer.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, burgundy said:

What are peoples' thoughts on wearing older Washington jerseys that don't have the wordmark on them (My Darrel Green jersey, for example)? Is it okay since it doesn't explicitly say the name "Redskins" on it, or is it bad by association since it still represents when they had that name?

If you like it, wear it?

37 minutes ago, burgundy said:

What are peoples' thoughts on wearing older Washington jerseys that don't have the wordmark on them (My Darrell Green jersey, for example)? Is it okay since it doesn't explicitly say the name "Redskins" on it, or is it bad by association since it still represents when they had that name?

Having support for the player or team doesn’t mean you support the name

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

They're still keeping the colors, should be fine. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

My Sean Taylor jersey says 'Redskins' in small lettering on the front. But everyone in the DC area knows (or should know) who he was and why such a jersey means a lot to DC fans. I don't think people will get too hung up on the small letters.....they better not at least. His death hit hard and I will never forget that day. 

32 minutes ago, ptaylor said:

My Sean Taylor jersey says 'Redskins' in small lettering on the front. But everyone in the DC area knows (or should know) who he was and why such a jersey means a lot to DC fans. I don't think people will get too hung up on the small letters.....they better not at least. His death hit hard and I will never forget that day. 

His death hit hard.

That word hits harder.

It's where I sit.

To be clear, I did NOT specifically type "Washington Redskins" or "Washington NFL" when I searched on eBay.  Before the past week or so, If I were to search "NFL Shirt", "NFL Stickers", "NFL Helmet", etc, I would get a mixture of teams, usually the more popular teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Giants, etc.   As for the Redskins stuff I suddenly noticed show up on the "Best Match" this past week, I did see a few items that featured "WASHINGTON" and/or the logo but not the name. There's even Nike Redskins gear (such as sneakers) that showed up. I typed "NFL Hat" on eBay this morning and the top 3 results were the Redskins and more related to NFL's most controversial team name shows up as I scrolled down the page.

They're gonna come up with a stupid and generic identity. I fully expect something like Warriors or Wildcats. The kind of mascot that 8,000 colleges and high schools already have. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

29 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

They're gonna come up with a stupid and generic identity. I fully expect something like Warriors or Wildcats. The kind of mascot that 8,000 colleges and high schools already have. 

Wildcats is overused in college and there are already four teams in the NFL named after a Wildcat (Lions, Bengals, Panthers, Jaguars).  Warriors is only marginally better but still wouldn't sound right.  I personally like "Renegades".  Don't know why but it sounds cool and its starts with the letter "R" like their now-former name.  I'm also liking "Code Talkers" as its not generic-sounding and several Native American groups don't seem to have a problem with it.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Personally, I wouldn’t wear anything with First Nations imagery.  But I won’t call out anyone for doing so. 

That name, on the other hand....  Shouldn’t be out in public anymore. Anybody who tries to keep it alive now is a Snyder. 

I feel for anyone named Karen Snyder... 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, disman00911 said:

To be clear, I did NOT specifically type "Washington Redskins" or "Washington NFL" when I searched on eBay.  Before the past week or so, If I were to search "NFL Shirt", "NFL Stickers", "NFL Helmet", etc, I would get a mixture of teams, usually the more popular teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Giants, etc.   As for the Redskins stuff I suddenly noticed show up on the "Best Match" this past week, I did see a few items that featured "WASHINGTON" and/or the logo but not the name. There's even Nike Redskins gear (such as sneakers) that showed up. I typed "NFL Hat" on eBay this morning and the top 3 results were the Redskins and more related to NFL's most controversial team name shows up as I scrolled down the page.

Ok? Feels like you're yelling at a cloud at this point.

1 hour ago, disman00911 said:

I myself bought a skins shirt before it was too late!

fiowXOD.png

The name “Warriors” is arguably pretty generic. Whatever identity they would choose to build around it will be what matters.

Cardinals

Falcons

Jaguars

Panthers

Just a few are just as generic as Warriors would be. Don’t discredit Washington for something that other teams have done also.

I also think about how the new nickname sounds within the NFC East even if that's not the most important aspect:

Cowboys                                                   

Eagles

Giants

Warriors

Cowboys 

Eagles

Giants

Redtails

21 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The name “Warriors” is arguably pretty generic. Whatever identity they would choose to build around it will be what matters.

Cardinals

Falcons

Jaguars

Panthers

Just a few are just as generic as Warriors would be. Don’t discredit Washington for something that other teams have done also.

Well cardinals has 100 plus years behind that name and is based on a time when teams were named after how the team played or looked so generic works for them. They were named after their red uniforms. 

In that case, Redshirts would work (compare with "Blueshirts" as secondary New York Rangers nickname), except the temptation to call them the Redsharts would be overwhelming. But since we have established that the burgundy and gold is the most important part of the identity, then you would just be naming them for the jersey they've worn all these years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived