rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

I would expect that they would do the opposite of the Raiders strategy.  For years, the Raiders have been emphasizing nickname over place name.  Where the Packers or Giants might sell a tshirt emblazoned with "Green Bay" and "New York", respectively, Oakland's version would simply say "Raiders".

Washington could do that with a lot of the templated merchandise.  Add the NFL shield in place of a team logo and just use "Washington".

Edit: here's an example.

ff_3117541a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117525a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117548a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117516a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117519a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117540a_full.jpg&w=340ff_3117538a_full.jpg&w=340

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would expect that they would do the opposite of the Raiders strategy.  For years, the Raiders have been emphasizing nickname over place name.  Where the Packers or Giants might sell a tshirt emblazoned with "Green Bay" and "New York", respectively, Oakland's version would simply say "Raiders".

Washington could do that with a lot of the templated merchandise.  Add the NFL shield in place of a team logo and just use "Washington".

I like that idea, but fear it would result in extended use of the old nickname. I hope that IF they go that way in merchandising, it is in addition to, not in lieu of, a new nickname.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I like that idea, but fear it would result in extended use of the old nickname. I hope that IF they go that way in merchandising, it is in addition to, not in lieu of, a new nickname.

Oh, absolutely.  My preference is to get it done quickly, announce the new name today and the new logo as quickly as NFL Properties can come up with one.

But if they don't, if they drag this out, I am just trying to predict how that would work in practice.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Lol, good point.

don't forget reddit!!! that is the go-to place for anonymous source-based journalism. 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:27 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

His death hit hard.

That word hits harder.

Nobody hit harder than him, though. 

I was there. Ten rows up right in front of that hit. It was the hardest hit I’ve ever seen, and the most unexpected thing I’ve ever seen at a live sporting event. It was completely unnecessary (but still pretty awesome, not gonna lie) I was sure at the time that Brian Moorman went after him to fight him for that one, not shake his hand.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Edit: here's an example.

But in all those examples, including the Raiders, the t-shirt has a logo. If this team were to use just "Washington," that would imply it hasn't yet chosen a name or logo, and that would make for a pretty generic looking shirt.

I think, in this case, finding a name might be easier than finding a logo. And I could see them embracing a name from the outset, but giving themselves time to determine the appropriate logos. 

24 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You have to be some kind of :censored: to do that in an all-star game.

Before millennials happened, players came to the Pro Bowl to BALL 💥💥💥

32 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You have to be some kind of :censored: to do that in an all-star game.

The Pro Bowl used to actually be something worth watching before the 2010s rolled around.

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

The Pro Bowl used to actually be something worth watching before the 2010s rolled around.

No, it wasn’t. 

15 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Before millennials happened, players came to the Pro Bowl to BALL 💥💥💥

No, and definitely not in the 2000’s after seeing guys careers end in the pro bowl.

12 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

No, it wasn’t. 

It was mostly touch football after the world cried about that hit

Just now, Cujo said:

It was touch football by 2000

Ive been to something like 7 Pro Bowls now, maybe 8? 

That Sean Taylor play is the only play I vividly remember from any of those games. 

The last one I went to (before the Seahawks Pats Super Bowl in AZ) was the most boring and dull sporting event I’ve ever been to. It made the games in Hawaii look like the Boise State Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl in comparison. Both teams wore grey jerseys! I have zero memory of sitting in the seats and I sat in the seats the entire time I was there. 

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

Nobody hit harder than him, though. 

I forgot how fun and brutal football used to be

8 minutes ago, Olmec said:

I forgot how fun and brutal football used to be

Meanwhile, a half-crippled, financially destitute 40-something year old forgotten former NFL lineman sobs as he puts a gun to his temple.

2 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

_Meanwhile, a half-crippled, financially destitute 40-something year old forgotten former NFL lineman sobs as he puts a gun to his temple._

Wow, that's just dark. Muted

1 minute ago, Olmec said:

Wow, that's just dark. Muted

Sorry for observing the reality of the game.  You enjoy whatever fantasy world where NFL retirees are all jolly, wealthy men with no issues whatsoever.

Guys, let's stay focused on Washington's name change, shall we? It's a sensitive enough topic as is; we don't need anything else adding fuel to it.

I just saw a concept on twitter that was probably the funniest take on the Redskins logo change. It was a rebrand as the Washington Karens in the style of the Redskins logo. Honestly, it's brilliant.