Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spacer.png

We should probably steer back on topic before this thread turns into the above .gif. 😛

Anyways, I'd say "Redtails" is the best option of the lot; it's both easy to spin into a bird identity and pays tribute to an under-remembered military squadron, thus fulfilling the NFL's military boner quota. Win-win! Of course, I expect Snyder to go with "Warriors" just to try and stick it to the people who made him change the name by going with the most generic one possible. Because Dan Snyder is a petty little man.

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

tis.gif

To MonkeyPower; I am sorry. I appreciate the fact you took the time to respond and tell me how my post made you feel. Although we may have disagreed on what is or isn't humorous, I sincerely hope we can continue to be sensible and respectful about the redesign of the Washington Redskins logo and name. Sometimes in tense situations humor us used to ease tensions. I (foolishly) thought that mentioning a parody design was a fun way to highlight the nature of the current issue while easing tension around a polarizing topic. Sometimes when we're able to laugh at ourselves it shows us a better path forward. However, I understand that it may not have been appreciated by all the members of the board. It is my wish that my attempt at humor will not have me excommunicated from the logo community I have been apart of since 2004.

MOD EDIT

12 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Guys, let's stay focused on Washington's name change, shall we? It's a sensitive enough topic as is; we don't need anything else adding fuel to it.

Pardon my french, but I want to get this off my chest. I'm sorry for this off-topic post. Feel free to edit my comment, mods.

MOD EDIT

I love that now moderators are actually directing us towards the Washington name change discussion. What a difference a week makes. 

Redtails is interesting and clever but ultimately the criticism that it's too 'narrow' and has a loose connection to the DC area at best has a lot of local fans pushing it aside in favor of 'Redwolves'....at least that's what I'm hearing from this region. 

1 hour ago, ptaylor said:

Redtails is interesting and clever but ultimately the criticism that it's too 'narrow' and has a loose connection to the DC area at best has a lot of local fans pushing it aside in favor of 'Redwolves'....at least that's what I'm hearing from this region. 

:blink:

If true, that’s a stunning lack of self-awareness on display. 

I mean, considering wild red wolves are currently only in North Carolina...it's not really that much more locally relevant. Besides, red wolves are really just slightly more wolf-y coyotes. 😛

I did see a cool concept where the feather on the R is replaced with a wolf's tail.  Kinda neat.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

16 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

I did see a cool concept where the feather on the R is replaced with a wolf's tail.  Kinda neat.

Yeah, I'll admit that it's clever. And while I know that's a tail, and the name says Redwolves, all I see is Redskins. 

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Washington Red Wolves. It was a Navy helicopter squadron based in Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC-84

It keeps Red and the letter R in the name, references the location of the team and references the military as Rivera stated. They could be vague with the identity or not. It works in many ways.

bSLCtu2.png

So what looks better, "Red Wolves" or "Redwolves"? 

No team in the NFL has a two-name identity and neither do most major American sports leagues. I can think of Red Sox and White Sox at the top of my head. Vegas Golden Knights.

Minnesota Timberwolves. 

I think I prefer one name. 

34 minutes ago, ptaylor said:

No team in the NFL has a two-name identity and neither do most major American sports leagues. I can think of Red Sox and White Sox at the top of my head. Vegas Golden Knights.

Minnesota Timberwolves. 

I'd just go with Redwolves, myself. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, CherryMX said:

Without more detail the wolf tail still looks like a feather. Still looks like the slur. They should just let that stuff be the past. Keep the colors and the R if they want, but they must start fresh.

Minnesota Timberwolves. 

Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Trail Blazers. On the other hand you have Blackhawks, who changed from two words to one. Personally I prefer Redwolves

18 minutes ago, JLJ said:

Without more detail the wolf tail still looks like a feather. Still looks like the slur. They should just let that stuff be the past. Keep the colors and the R if they want, but they must start fresh.

Realistically i'm expecting something close to that even if for just 2020 before getting a proper new set next season, with just the decals being changed and wordmark removed. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

18 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Realistically i'm expecting something close to that even if for just 2020 before getting a proper new set next season, with just the decals being changed and wordmark removed. 

Honestly, I was stunned they were trying to do it this year. I think a public announcement that the change was happening next year would’ve sufficed. They don’t get points either way, but I can’t say I’m not impressed they are trying an 18 month rebrand in like 3 months. 

Archived