Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

Whatever Washington does I think all they should do to their uniforms is change their logo and striping. I would say move the TV numbers to the shoulders like the Chiefs did and then pretty much adopt everything Virginia has done with their striping except the narrow space in between. Id like to see them have Burgundy, Gold, and White pant options with similar sock stripes to what they currently have on their white socks.

spacer.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Does the Washington NFL team keep their burgundy/gold colors or join the 3 other big 4 teams and start using red, white, and navy in unity?

Fixed.

They supposedly said they’re keepIng the colors. I still think the Wizards shouldn’t have dropped the blue/gold/black.

18 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I still think the Wizards shouldn’t have dropped the blue/gold/black.

The Wizards followed the Capitals 97 change and followed them and the Nats again when they changed a second time.

Interesting.  I'm curious how they'll form the overall brand around the idea, perhaps a nod to the tomb of the unknown soldier, etc.  If that is the name, anyway.

edit:  I guess a top Washington sports journalist says it's not the Sentinels.  Whatever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, JLJ said:

Without more detail the wolf tail still looks like a feather. Still looks like the slur. They should just let that stuff be the past. Keep the colors and the R if they want, but they must start fresh.

A feather is not a slur. I don't know how it could "looks like the slur". Native American iconography is not racist. So what if there is an animal part replacing another animal part in a team roundel?

9 minutes ago, batman1211 said:

A feather is not a slur. I don't know how it could "looks like the slur". Native American iconography is not racist. So what if there is an animal part replacing another animal part in a team roundel?

The point was that the logo with a wolf tail would still look like the current logo, which is permanently and inextricably linked to the slur. The best option for Washington is to make a clean break from all Native American imagery and go in a completely different direction so that this kind of thing never happens again.

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, QCS said:

The point was that the logo with a wolf tail would still look like the current logo, which is permanently and inextricably linked to the slur. The best option for Washington is to make a clean break from all Native American imagery and go in a completely different direction so that this kind of thing never happens again.

Yeah even though they’d be “different”, from a distance you’d could easily mistake one for the other. The goal of the entire renaming process is to create a broad gap between past and future.

55 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Yeah even though they’d be “different”, from a distance you’d could easily mistake one for the other. The goal of the entire renaming process is to create a broad gap between past and future.

The bolded part is why I'm cool with DC Sentinels. By changing "Washington" to "DC" and not going with a "Red-" name, I think that's a good way to start fresh and have an easier time conditioning people to the new name. The less similarities, the less likely slip-ups will occur.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

It could be worse than Sentinels.  I could see them incorporating some kind of iconography using statues, memorials, etc.

I don't know, I feel like this is a sore point in today's world. I'd stay away. 

In Marvel Comics, the Sentinels were designed to exterminate genetic minorities. I'd come up with something else.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

32 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

In Marvel Comics, the Sentinels were designed to exterminate genetic minorities. I'd come up with something else.

Yeah, but the number of people who read comic books is exceedingly small.  😛 

Seriously, ephemeral pop culture isn't a good reason not to use the name.  Tertiary characters, if you can call them that, is even less a good reason.

2 hours ago, batman1211 said:

A feather is not a slur. I don't know how it could "looks like the slur". Native American iconography is not racist.

Plenty of Native Americans disagree with you, and I am loath to tell them that they're wrong.

What's so important about keeping that imagery, anyway?  Why is it worth perpetuating the bad public relations problem?

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Plenty of Native Americans disagree with you, and I am loath to tell them that they're wrong.

What's so important about keeping that imagery, anyway?  Why is it worth perpetuating the bad public relations problem?

And if the answer to this question is, "because it looks cool," you're wrong. 

Archived