rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but the number of people who read comic books is exceedingly small.  😛 

Seriously, ephemeral pop culture isn't a good reason not to use the name.  Tertiary characters, if you can call them that, is even less a good reason.

You might have missed X-Men: Days of Future past (and likely future connections to new Disney X-Men movies now that they have the license). It was a number one movie and grossed $750 million.

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You might have missed X-Men: Days of Future past (and likely future connections to new Disney X-Men movies now that they have the license). It was a number one movie and grossed $750 million.

They were a plot point in that film, not even characters.   Still not a reason.  

Not unless you're also calling for the University of Michigan to change its name?  Surely people are forever confusing those two.

Seriously, this smells of "somebody somewhere will find any possible name offensive!" 

I highly doubt the standard fan would look at “DC Sentinels” and say “Well gosh, I didn’t know this team supported genocide!?”

I don't really care, myself. I'm just saying. The only Sentinels I know kill mutants, and I know I'm not alone with that pop culture influence. It's just something for conversation.

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't really care, myself. I'm just saying. The only Sentinels I know kill mutants, and I know I'm not alone with that pop culture influence. It's just something for conversation.

I understand what you’re saying. The Sentinel I know wanted to bridge two planets together and enslave the human race. I know I’m not alone with that reference either. Doesn’t mean my mind automatically would think genocide or enslavement in the event of the name change to “Sentinels”

3 hours ago, batman1211 said:

A feather is not a slur. I don't know how it could "looks like the slur". Native American iconography is not racist. So what if there is an animal part replacing another animal part in a team roundel?

Many have responded already, but you quoted me so I’ll be brief:

The feather in that context is 100 percent tied to the racial slur Washington used for their football team name. Also, most Native Americans would rather they weren’t used for mascots or branding, whether it could be deemed respectful or not. This ain’t hard.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, ptaylor said:

So what looks better, "Red Wolves" or "Redwolves"?

Red Wolves.

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I understand what you’re saying. The Sentinel I know wanted to bridge two planets together and enslave the human race. I know I’m not alone with that reference either. Doesn’t mean my mind automatically would think genocide or enslavement in the event of the name change to “Sentinels”

Sounds like sentinels are kind of a-holes, huh?

Perfect for DC.

I mean IDW Comics re-invented Sentinel Prime as a corrupt and kind of robot racist authority figure. 

Take from that what you will. 

I can't help but think of The Replacements.

Just now, IceCap said:

I mean IDW Comics re-invented Sentinel Prime as a corrupt and kind of robot racist authority figure. 

So he's Cybertronian Dan Snyder. 😜 

Just now, Ridleylash said:

So he's Cybertronian Dan Snyder. 😜 

I think they were going for Cybertron Richard Nixon but hey what works works. 

21 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I prefer mega-chin Sentinel, the primer prime!

TFA was so good.

Sentinels? First thing that comes to mind... "HALT MUTANT"

Just for another viewpoint-- Sentinel is a newspaper name.

There's no way I would tie it to comics and/or movies.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wait, didn't you say the Sentinels were a Marvel cash cow? Shouldn't you, as a comics fanboy, be raging against the idea of the DC Sentinels?

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but the number of people who read comic books is exceedingly small.  😛 

People don't watch movies that aren't about comic books anymore.

28 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

Wait, didn't you say the Sentinels were a Marvel cash cow? Shouldn't you, as a comics fanboy, be raging against the idea of the DC Sentinels?

In the comment you quoted I said I don't really care.

So no, I don't really care.

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

People don't watch movies that aren't about comic books anymore.

Which is kinda funny that it hasn’t translated into comic book sales. 

More people go see a Marvel movie on its opening weekend than pick up a Marvel comic book in a whole year.

Honestly, I think the only reason Disney and Warner Bros. keep their comic companies around at this point is to hold trademarks and possibly provide material for film adaptations.