Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Which is kinda funny that it hasn’t translated into comic book sales. 

More people go see a Marvel movie on its opening weekend than pick up a Marvel comic book in a whole year.

Honestly, I think the only reason Disney and Warner Bros. keep their comic companies around at this point is to hold trademarks and possibly provide material for film adaptations.

It's super sad. Comics were marginalized entertainment for decades and the superfans thought they'd finally have legitimacy when super hero films dominated box offices for the better part of 20 years.

Instead, comic fans are still marginalized, the hobby is more expensive than ever, and COVID is killing off comic shops.

And for the movies, it doesn't matter, because there's 75 years of content. And also maybe the MCU matters less in a post-COVID world.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, it’s crazy.  Avengers sells, what, 40,000 copies a month?   Outside of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and some special issues, most books can’t crack 50,000. 

The comics industry isn’t just in decline, it’s damn near dead.  And as someone who loves the art form, it breaks my heart.

People love super-hero movies but not super-hero comics.  Maybe that’s because you can buy most Marvel movies on iTunes right now for $9.99.  Or you can take that ten bucks and buy... two issues of a monthly?!

Or you can torrent the CBZs the day of release, or get the trade in six months for $15, or the hardcover in a year for $30.

And in any event, you need to find a place to keep all of it. I briefly returned to regular comic collecting in the early 2010s and after spending like $70 in a month on something I didn't want to have to deal with anymore, I was out. I've purchased a handful of Marvel Omnibus editions since, but that's as much about collecting my childhood as having nice(ish) display pieces.

Comics lost a lot when they left the supermarkets.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Most of my comic stuff is just picking up the trades when enough time has passed. Even then, I've never been a big reader of the "mainstream" stuff. I'm pretty sure the only trade I own now is my copy of O'Barr's The Crow.

199909.png

It's a very different experience from the movie. I find the movie much more palatable (none of the strange poetic interludes, less scenes of self-harm and other weird stuff, and Eric's kills are less brutal), but it is less engrossing than the world of the comic. 

I find the whole idea of superheroes childish. But comics ARE superheroes. It's a complete waste of an entire medium. It's as if you could ONLY watch a Western if you wanted to go to the movies.

I went through an independent "comix" phase many years ago and I enjoyed it. But I have no idea what's out there these days and frankly I don't see why I should spend any cash when I can read excellent webcomics, none of which are about superheroes, online for free.

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I thought this was the Washington NFL Thread not the I Hate Comics Anonymous Thread.

Until there's more actual news regarding the name, suggestions like the D.C. Comics and Washington Karens will be thread filler.

6uXNWAo.png

On 7/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, FiddySicks said:
On 7/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, DNAsports said:

The Pro Bowl used to actually be something worth watching before the 2010s rolled around.

No, it wasn’t. 

Yes, it was. The game was played seriously, and a good showing in it meant something.

Phil Simms announced himself on the national stage with a spectacular performance in the 1985 Pro Bowl (by which I mean the game following the 1985 season, played in early 1986). Before that game, Simms was just a guy hanging on to his job who might lose it to the next Scott Brunner. After that game, he was a budding star who was on everybody's radar as one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yes, it was. The game was played seriously, and a good showing in it meant something.

Phil Simms announced himself on the national stage with a spectacular performance in the 1985 Pro Bowl (by which I mean the game following the 1985 season, played in early 1986). Before that game, Simms was just a guy hanging on to his job who might lose it to the next Scott Brunner. After that game, he was a budding star who was on everybody's radar as one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

One example from 35 years ago, after the patriots receiver (who’s name is escaping me now,) Had a near career ending injury in 99 players realized it was a meaningless game and not worth getting injured, so they stopped going as hard.

Archived