rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

How are you "Just for fun"?

I'm a laugh riot. I just don't find superheroes fun.

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yes, it was. The game was played seriously, and a good showing in it meant something.

Phil Simms announced himself on the national stage with a spectacular performance in the 1985 Pro Bowl (by which I mean the game following the 1985 season, played in early 1986). Before that game, Simms was just a guy hanging on to his job who might lose it to the next Scott Brunner. After that game, he was a budding star who was on everybody's radar as one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Yet he was good enough to make the Pro Bowl in a year when it was "serious"?  Could it be that the players didn't make as much $ back then so the Pro Bowl was a chance to pocket some extra cheese?  

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yet he was good enough to make the Pro Bowl in a year when it was "serious"?  Could it be that the players didn't make as much $ back then so the Pro Bowl was a chance to pocket some extra cheese?  

I think that this is exactly the reason why the Pro Bowl, as with all other all-star games, used to mean so much more.

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yes, it was. The game was played seriously, and a good showing in it meant something.

Phil Simms announced himself on the national stage with a spectacular performance in the 1985 Pro Bowl (by which I mean the game following the 1985 season, played in early 1986). Before that game, Simms was just a guy hanging on to his job who might lose it to the next Scott Brunner. After that game, he was a budding star who was on everybody's radar as one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yet he was good enough to make the Pro Bowl in a year when it was "serious"?

I am no apologist for Phil Simms, but...

1984: 4,044 passing yards (3rd most in the NFL), 22 touchdown passes (8th most in the NFL), and led the Giants to a playoff berth

1985: 3,829 passing yards (4th most in the NFL), 22 touchdowns (8th most in the NFL), and led the Giants to 10 victories, the most for a Giants team since 1963; in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals he passed for 513 yards—the 5th most passing yards in a single game in NFL history

One example from 35 years ago, after the patriots receiver (who’s name is escaping me now,) Had a near career ending injury in 99 players realized it was a meaningless game and not worth getting injured, so they stopped going as hard.

Pats RB Robert Edwards, who was playing in a beach flag football game at the Pro Bowl for the top rookies that season. They stopped having the game after that, which in hindsight having guys playing ball in the sand was probably a terrible idea anyway.

26 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

I am no apologist for Phil Simms, but...

1984: 4,044 passing yards (3rd most in the NFL), 22 touchdown passes (8th most in the NFL), and led the Giants to a playoff berth

1985: 3,829 passing yards (4th most in the NFL), 22 touchdowns (8th most in the NFL), and led the Giants to 10 victories, the most for a Giants team since 1963; in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals he passed for 513 yards—the 5th most passing yards in a single game in NFL history

All true. Simms spent the 1984 and 1985 seasons being underrated, despite consistent and often excellent play. It took the Pro Bowl performance to change the perception of him, which is a testament to the stature of the Pro Bowl in those days.

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

All true. Simms spent the 1984 and 1985 seasons being underrated, despite consistent and often excellence play. It took the Pro Bowl performance to change the perception of him, which is a testament to the stature of the Pro Bowl in those days.

RhmOMvO.gif

If Phil Simms had truly been underrated after the 1985 season...

he wouldn't have been selected for the Pro Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Uh huh. This is a crazy pills argument. You can't be an underrated all star.

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think it's less about Simms, and more about how the pro bowl itself was perceived back then. 

35 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

I think it's less about Simms, and more about how the pro bowl itself was perceived back then. 

Yes, but the rehabilitation of Simms' image was offered as evidence for how the pro bowl itself was perceived back then.

Which, no offense intended, is just kinda goofy on its face.

13 hours ago, JustForFun said:

I find the whole idea of superheroes childish. But comics ARE superheroes. It's a complete waste of an entire medium.

These guys would like to know your location. I have whole anthologies dedicated to them.
CH_reading_2.0.jpg

I keep seeing a rumor/leak of D.C. Sentinels. 

Not sure why they couldn't just keep the same uniform as before, just replace the wordmark with Washington. Then just use a "W" in the new font on the helmet instead of yellow numbers.

4 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Not sure why they couldn't just keep the same uniform as before, just replace the wordmark with Washington. Then just use a "W" in the new font on the helmet instead of yellow numbers.

I’m sure the uniforms will be the same. Just replacing “REDSKINS” with “WASHINGTON”. The biggest change will be the numbers on the helmet.

This just looks like a crappy mockup

Per Schefter:

Washington will play the season as "Washington Football Team" while working on new name.

Uniforms stay the same except the helmet logo is replaced with the player's number in gold.

EDIT:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29524343/washington-nfl-team-use-washington-football-team-now-sources-say?linkId=94841014

ffective immediately, Washington will call itself the "Washington Football Team" pending the adoption of a new name, league sources tell ESPN.

This is not a final renaming and rebranding for the team; this is the name it wants to use until pending adoption of a new name at some point in the future.

The team will continue the process of retiring the Redskins name and hopes to be entirely rid of it on physical and digital spaces in the next 50 days, by the Sept. 13 regular-season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Washington will not have any change to its color scheme. It will still use burgundy and gold. The Redskins logo on the helmet will be replaced by the player's number in gold. The Washington Football Team will debut its home uniforms in Week 1 against the Eagles, and its road uniforms in Week 2 against the Cardinals.

While the Washington Football Teams uses these uniforms and helmets for the 2020 season, it will be seeking the feedback of players, alumni, fans, sponsors and the community for the new team name it will use in the future.

Fans will be able to purchase "Washington Football Team" merchandise from Fanatics and NFL Shop in the coming days.

LOL they had to plug the merch.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Per Schefter:

Washington will play the season as "Washington Football Team" while working on new name.

Uniforms stay the same except the helmet logo is replaced with the player's number in gold.

This is assuming that there will be an NFL season.  

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

This is assuming that there will be an NFL season.  

Yeah, thanks for reminding us that there's a chance there may not be a season.

I'll be sure to put an asterisk on every post, just in case people forget that there's a pandemic... and Florida.