Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I wonder if we’re still getting the all whites Week 1 as promised 

Who promised this? Got a link?

9 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Who promised this? Got a link?

Not exactly a hard promise, but DC Jack Del Rio

56 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I do not understand why they are changing the pant stripes...

That may have been a change for the sake of change planned for this season. 

Washington should always go Burgundy over Gold at home, and White over Burgundy on the road. Unless they're playing the Cowboys, in which case White over Burgundy at home and Burgundy over Gold on the road. I hate the white pants, and especially mono-white for them.

Ron Rivera: Washington rebrand could take up to 18 months

New coach Ron Rivera joined NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Friday and explained that the decision to play this season without a team name was made after realizing the process would take time.

"We've had conversations. I've been involved in those conversations," he said. "What happened was we found the realization that this is about a 16- to 18-month process. This can't happen instantly. So we've really got to do our homework, we've got to be very thorough with what we're doing going forward. Because we want to get it right. We want this new name, this new nickname to be able to stand the test of time, stand for 100 years. We're going to be real busy with that. We've hired a firm that wants to be very diligent with their work, they want to be inclusive with their work. We're going to do this right."

Washington plans on keeping its burgundy and gold color scheme as it processes out what to call itself after it goes by Football Team for at least a year.

The team's jerseys are clean and frill-free, including helmets with gold numbers where the old mascot used to reside.

"The players have reacted very well (to the new uniforms)," Rivera said. "They think the look is very clean. We've kept the traditional colors. We're gonna be burgundy and gold, again because there's so much history with this football team, and we don't want to lose that as well. So we're going to keep the colors. But the players like how clean it looks and how those things are concerned. They also like the idea of having numbers on the side of their helmets, and the Alabama players seem to be pretty excited about that. So it's gonna be a cool thing as we go forward."

I wish they had both a gold and white pants. When theyre playing Philadelphia, sure white pants would look good. When theyre playing atlanta, yellow pants would look better. Just flexibility in what they want to go with i like the most, a la jacksonville. The jerseys are a little plain but it can be mixed and matched to clash well

The only thing more annoying than the name change is the fans that think they are the Washington Football Team PERMANENTLY smh

7 hours ago, canzman said:

So no official documents have been sent out yet... internal site for assets still has coming soon, but based on what we have seen in renders here are the 4 options Washington can wear this season.

Dark
gFIRALW.jpg
x43QdGC.jpg
White
CO5o5pm.jpg
MGpAee8.jpg

It's a good set that's missing gold pants.

They’re changing their pants striping? Are we sure?

This is just a placeholder until they get new branding and uniforms.

Two Jerseys (Burgundy/White)

Two Pants (Burgundy/White)

One Pair of Socks (Burgundy)

These choices make the most sense. That’s all they need. There’s no need for gold pants. Plus, gold is/was(?) basically a trim/tertiary color anyway. Why pick now to bring back the gold pants for one holdover season for a set that really doesn’t matter?

I was never a huge fan of the gold pants, so these combos are fine with me, at least for this season. 

The only way I see new pants hitting the field is if they were ordered as an update to their old idenity as  part of regular '20 seasonal uniform shipments . It makes zero sense to replace the completely inoffensive pants while leaving the jerseys exactly the same.

EDIT: I just saw the rendering for myself and I am still a skeptic. It was probably pushed out with little thought of what the existing uniform looks like and was good enough for a press release. If I had to wager, I would still put my money on the old pants making it on the field.

So now we have only the Bears and Chiefs left as the remaining teams who understand how socks should work with dark pants.

That sucks.

How will the Washington NFL Team be listed moving foward, when mentionning past Super Bowl Champions?

pr104148img3.jpg

In the history books, it stays as-is.  I don't think anyone is calling to erase history.

If they have banners in the stadium then that's a trickier situation.  They should not put the Redtails or Warriors or whatever logo on the banners, but they should also not use the R-word.  I'd assume that the now-former logo would be OK to use along with a WASHINGTON wordmark, but maybe they don't even need a logo at all.  Just say "WASHINGTON" and put the logos of the actual SBs on there.

So it's going to take up to 16-18 months to get a new name and brand identity?  If they take that full amount of time, the team will have to play in their now-current generic form for 2 entire seasons.  I can only imagine the drop in merchandise sales if they take that long to complete the rebrand.  A competent team would be able to get something done in under 12 months but I guess a team as broken as Washington needs that full estimate.

19 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

How will the Washington NFL Team be listed moving foward, when mentionning past Super Bowl Champions?

pr104148img3.jpg

- The Ravens didn't derive from the original Cleveland Browns

- O.J. Simpson never ran for 2,000 yards in a season

- The Washington Red Wolves won three Super Bowls in the 80s

There's nothing the NFL can't re-write!