Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

58 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Or maybe the Washington Senators? 

Can't they just roll with Senators?

I mean, the Colorado Rockies Baseball Team 'borrowed' from the Colorado Rockies Ice Hockey Team.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Absolutely not. It’s bad enough listening to announcers still referring to the Giants as “The New York FOOTBALL Giants”.

Its been 63 years. Bury it.

At least someone got the reference 😜

I saw, I came, I left.

33 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I mean, the Colorado Rockies Baseball Team 'borrowed' from the Colorado Rockies Ice Hockey Team.

I wouldn’t mind if they “borrowed” the unused Ottawa Senators logo in the bottom left corner and tweaked it to their needs-

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Cujo said:

There's a reason the baseball team chose to be the Nationals instead.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

In this case?  Yeah, they are imaginary.  When we equate "treating people with respect" with "PC", we show that the term doesn't really have any meaning at all.

The old question was "Would you call a Native American a _____ to her face?"  Maybe now we replace it with "Would you tell a Native American that she's being too sensitive?"

I would have no problem calling a Native American a staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia to her face.  I guess I'm a horrible person.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I would have no problem calling a Native American a staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia to her face.  I guess I'm a horrible person.

That says a lot about you honestly

4 minutes ago, dont care said:
38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That says a lot about you honestly

Pretty sure you missed the joke.

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, LMU said:

Wait until you try it without the S. @infrared41 did a good job coming up with that one.

Ok, the post below makes a lot more sense after I’ve read the new text replacement! I spent way too long trying to figure out what @Go Red Sox! was trying to say. 

9 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

My answer is: hopefully not. The word "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" is without any doubt an unambigious, utterly racist word, just like the N-word. Whereas Braves and Indians are clearly not. The word Indian might not be the most appropriate, up-to-date term to describe and define Native Americans. Yet, it's definitely not a racist word. The only thing one could criticize about the word "Indian" is the fact that these people's roots aren't located in India since Columbus ended up in/on the wrong country/continent. It's definitely a historically incorrect term. And the word Braves? Seriously? Then we could also talk about whether broccoli is an offensive word or not.

Also, aside from the Cleveland baseball team, is the word Indian still commonplace in the US? I feel like hardly anyone in Canada (at least that I encounter) use that word for anything other than you know... things/people from India. 

3 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

is the word Indian still commonplace in the US?

As a reference to Native Americans? Kind of, but I'm reasonably sure most people don't mean it to be an insult. Native American is probably the most used - at least that's the one I hear the most.

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gobbi said:
9 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

My answer is: hopefully not. The word "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" is without any doubt an unambigious, utterly racist word, just like the N-word.

That is hilarious.

BB52Big.jpg

aside from the Cleveland baseball team, is the word Indian still commonplace in the US? I feel like hardly anyone in Canada (at least that I encounter) use that word for anything other than you know... things/people from India. 

honestly, Canada has a much better solution than we do. “Native American” is kind of clunky, and it opens the door for bigots to joke about being native-born Americans.  “First Nations” is so much more dignified, not to mention perfectly descriptive.

13 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Also, aside from the Cleveland baseball team, is the word Indian still commonplace in the US?

Absolutely not.

The perfect example (as stated previously) -- Would you call someone a R-word to their face? No.

Would you call someone an Indian to their face? Also no.

6uXNWAo.png

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Would you call someone an Indian to their face? Also no.

It's happened to me more times than I can count, Curt. Indian doesn't have the "wallop" staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia does. Because of that, people are more comfortable using Indian. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure the majority of them don't think of it as an insult. FWIW, I'd much rather be called an Indian than a staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

BB52Big.jpg

9 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

As a reference to Native Americans? Kind of, but I'm reasonably sure most people don't mean it to be an insult. Native American is probably the most used - at least that's the one I hear the most.

Yeah, that’s what I meant... as a reference to Native Americans. Makes sense, thanks. The few times I hear it in Canada I wouldn’t say it’s meant to be an insult either, just more of an archaic and inaccurate term. 

Just now, infrared41 said:

Indian doesn't have the "wallop" staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia does.

You know, the filter makes this way funnier than it probably should. 😛

Just now, infrared41 said:

It's happened to me more times than I can count, Curt. Indian doesn't have the "wallop" staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia does.

@LMU, duuuuude, I can't take these convos seriously with "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" as a placard for the R-word. I love the effort tho! 💀💀

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

You know, the filter makes this way funnier than it probably should. 😛

That's what I was going for.

Just now, Cujo said:

@LMU, duuuuude, I can't take these convos seriously with "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" as a placard for the R-word. I love the effort tho! 💀💀

You'll get used to it.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived