Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

Staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or gimp suit cleaner of the Cleveland Baseball Team that plays in the American League and is headquartered in the state of Ohio. 

You left out "World Series chokejob artist", but other that that.. 👍

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or gimp suit cleaner of the Cleveland Baseball Team that plays in the American League and is headquartered in the state of Ohio. 

Stay in your lane, Junior.

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:
10 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You left out "World Series chokejob artist"

The Cleveland baseball team hasn't won a World Series since 1948 yet they still have twice as many WS titles as the Cubs do in the last 100 years.

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

The Cleveland baseball team hasn't won a World Series since 1948 yet they still have twice as many WS titles as the Cubs do in the last 100 years.

Meh. In my lifetime (and probably yours), the score is Chicago Cubs 1, Cleveland Baseball Team 0. 🏆

6uXNWAo.png

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just change it to Mumbai Indians.

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Now I’ve had my issues with Cleveland’s use of the softball top but I’m pretty sure they contract cleaning them out rather keep someone on payroll.  

2 hours ago, dont care said:

That says a lot about you honestly

Dude.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Gobbi said:

Also, aside from the Cleveland baseball team, is the word Indian still commonplace in the US? I feel like hardly anyone in Canada (at least that I encounter) use that word for anything other than you know... things/people from India.

I might be a bit late to this but I figured my experience is a bit different from everyone who's commented so far so why not. Yes, growing up and still today I don't hear Native American near as much as Indian. I know people who use it offensively too. I was surprised reading the comments saying they don't hear it often anymore. I say native american and I've been asked why I don't just say Indian even. I didn't really even know anything other than Indian up until I was in late middle school. I'm sure most around where I live don't use it offensively but it's definitely the common term. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

As a reference to Native Americans? Kind of, but I'm reasonably sure most people don't mean it to be an insult. Native American is probably the most used - at least that's the one I hear the most.

I feel it has fallen out of vogue. I don't know how much of that is from society moving forward and trying to improve compared to people finding it confusing to always confirm which type of Indian they mean.

Now that I have you, I would like to bring up how Cleveland gave up a 3-1 lead in the World Series and mention how much I appreciate it.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:55 PM, batman1211 said:

You use words like most without any numbers to back it up. I have native American friends who would argue that as incorrect. Some may, and I think for those it is worth changing the name as to not be disrespectful. As far as the father, it is something that is used from decoration up to ceremonial and religious purposes. I would like to see them come up with a completely different design, but I don't think it is terrible if they kept a similar design, even if those changes put something in place of a removed feather. Washington's iconography isn't like Wahoo. It was tastefully done. It is the name that is arguably racist. 

Oh that’s rich. I didn’t provide you a chart, but you can throw out your Native American “friends” as the end all be all on the matter. Well I too have a Native American friend that would disagree with your friends. They aren’t a monolith, but the fact of the matter is if some feel negatively about the name and the imagery then that’s more than enough to let it go. Especially considering the race of the man that can make that decision. If a Native owned the team then there might be an argument.

I’ll say it again, the wolf tail used in that context bore a striking similarity to old R-word logo and that is a problem. It’s not about whether the logo was respectful or tasteful, but about the use of the Native American image. Simple as that. That group of people, save for your friends, have made it clear they are tired of being used as mascots. I don’t get what you are fighting for here.

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

As a reference to Native Americans? Kind of, but I'm reasonably sure most people don't mean it to be an insult. Native American is probably the most used - at least that's the one I hear the most.

I saw this a while back and found it interesting.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't get this notion that you cant use a name because another team in another league or sport uses it.  We live in a world where the Florida Panthers (1993) and Carolina Panthers (1995) came in to existence two years apart. Yet the Vegas Golden Knights were blocked from using Las Vegas Knights because of the London Knights of the OHL? A team NO ONE has heard of outside of Ontario Canada...

We have...

Jets (Winnipeg, New York)

Giants (San Francisco, New York)

Kings (L.A., Sacramento)

Panthers (Florida, Carolina)

Rangers (Texas, New York)

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Go Red Sox said:

My answer is: hopefully not. The word "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" is without any doubt an unambigious, utterly racist word, just like the N-word.

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That is hilarious.

What the heck is this, dear Moderators? This is not my exact comment that I have posted yesterday! You have modified it without at least sending me a message, leaving a notification in the comment itself? I've used that word, Washington's old nickname, although I've always been disliking it completely! And you replaced that word with a never-ending story like this? This is more than hilarious. This is bat....crazy. This means that from now on actually no one is not even allowed anymore to talk about the team using the name which they used prior to Snyder's decision? So much for the basic rights regarding free speech, also on this forum! One's not even allowed to use or talk about that effing nickname on a website like this (which by the way is still making it into the news elsewhere) "just" because the owner of the team (rightfully) decided to replace it with a different, non-racist name in the future?

Guess what? Their old nicjname does still exist on this very website CCSL: https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/168/Washington_Redskins/

Why? Well, I guess because this is what you usually call team history? I wonder why you haven't replaced that word with "Football Team" yet, since I can still read their old name here on that site all over the place. Are you going to ban that very word right here in the near future, too? I'm talking about that very team's history, uniforms, logos from 1932 till 2020! This could become tricky. And if not, why won't you do it? It all just doesn't make any sense anymore. You understand how ridiculous and overblown your reaction actually is? This is beyond rational thinking or common sense. It's just completely nonsensical and also absolutely hypocritical, due to the aforementioned reasons. How about picking one, since in this case, you can't have it both ways! That's by far the most ridiculous, most exaggerated reaction I've ever seen on this board – (MOD REDACTED) who's also been pro free speech at the same time, all the time. (George Carlin could teach you a lot about this). Words are just words. It's the context you're using these words which is crucial!

To cut a long story short: this is my last comment on this Sports Logo News section, since I don't see any reason anymore to post comments about whatever it might be in the future, just to watch my comments getting edited without any notification by moderators who then turn them into surreal, deviant and ridiculous verbal structures for little or no reasons. What a joke.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

2 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

What the heck is this, dear Moderators? This is not my exact comment that I have posted yesterday! You have modified it without at least sending me a message, leaving a notification? I've used the word, Washington's old nickname, although I've always been disliking it completely! I'm such a revolutionary, huh? And you replaced that word with a never-ending story like this? This is more than hilarious. This is bat....crazy. This means that one is not even allowed anymore to talk about the team when they were called what they were called prior to Snyder's decision? So much for the basic rights regarding free speech, also on this forum! One's not even allowed to use or talk about that effing nickname on a website like this (which is still making it into the news, by the way) "just" because the owner of the team (rightfully) decided to replace it with a different, non-racist name in the future?

Guess what? Their old name is still existing on this very website CCSL: https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/168/Washington_Redskins/

Why? Well, I guess because this is what you usually call team history? I wonder why you haven't replaced that word with "Football Team" yet, since I still read their old name here on that site all over the place. Are you going to ban that very word right here in the near future, too? I'm talking about the team's history, uniforms, logos from 1932 till 2020! And if not, why not? It all just doesn't make any sense anymore. You understand how ridiculous and  overblown your reaction actually is? This is beyond rational thinking or common sense. It's just completely nonsensical and also absolutely hypocritical, due to the aforementioned reasons. How about picking one, since in this case, you can't have it both ways! That's by far the most ridiculous, most exaggerated reaction I've ever seen on this board – and I'm a true, die-hard progressive, leftist, however you wanna call me – who's been pro free speech at the same time, all the time. (George Carlin could teach you a lot about this). Words are just words. It's the context you're using these words which is crucial!

To cut a long story short: this is my last comment on this Sports Logo News section, since I don't see any reason anymore to post comments about whatever it might be in the future, just to watch my comments getting edited without notification by moderators who then turn them into surreal verbal structures for little or no reasons.

sir, this is a wendy's

34 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Go Red Sox said:

My answer is: hopefully not. The word "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" is without any doubt an unambigious, utterly racist word, just like the N-word.

So if the word you typed is (your words here:) "an unabigious[sic], utterly racist word, just like the N-word" then why would you not only use it, but then complain that it was edited?  Would you expect to be able to type the N-word?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

59 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

What the heck is this, dear Moderators? This is not my exact comment that I have posted yesterday! You have modified it without at least sending me a message, leaving a notification in the comment itself? I've used that word, Washington's old nickname, although I've always been disliking it completely! And you replaced that word with a never-ending story like this? This is more than hilarious. This is bat....crazy. This means that from now on actually no one is not even allowed anymore to talk about the team using the name which they used prior to Snyder's decision? So much for the basic rights regarding free speech, also on this forum! One's not even allowed to use or talk about that effing nickname on a website like this (which by the way is still making it into the news elsewhere) "just" because the owner of the team (rightfully) decided to replace it with a different, non-racist name in the future?

Guess what? Their old nicjname does still exist on this very website CCSL: https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/168/Washington_Redskin

Why? Well, I guess because this is what you usually call team history? I wonder why you haven't replaced that word with "Football Team" yet, since I can still read their old name here on that site all over the place. Are you going to ban that very word right here in the near future, too? I'm talking about that very team's history, uniforms, logos from 1932 till 2020! This could become tricky. And if not, why won't you do it? It all just doesn't make any sense anymore. You understand how ridiculous and overblown your reaction actually is? This is beyond rational thinking or common sense. It's just completely nonsensical and also absolutely hypocritical, due to the aforementioned reasons. How about picking one, since in this case, you can't have it both ways! That's by far the most ridiculous, most exaggerated reaction I've ever seen on this board – and I'm a true, die-hard progressive, leftist, however you wanna call me – who's also been pro free speech at the same time, all the time. (George Carlin could teach you a lot about this). Words are just words. It's the context you're using these words which is crucial!

To cut a long story short: this is my last comment on this Sports Logo News section, since I don't see any reason anymore to post comments about whatever it might be in the future, just to watch my comments getting edited without any notification by moderators who then turn them into surreal, deviant and ridiculous verbal structures for little or no reasons. What a joke.

1. It wasn't just your comment. It's been modified across the boards. That aside, had it been limited to your post, we don't send messages when we do a mod edit. The reason for the edit is stated in the edited post.

2. Thanks!

3. That is correct.

4. Seriously, look up how free speech actually works.

5. Yup, but we aren't allowing the use of that racial slur in any future posts. We think it's a good decision.

6. We already have. Try it out. For the record, we aren't planning on removing every prior reference to the word in question. All we've done is stopped it from being used from this point forward. Again, we think it's a good decision.

7. No kidding. 😎

8. Someone's reaction is overblown and ridiculous here and I'm pretty sure it's not ours.

9. No, it really isn't. Your reaction might be in the running, though.

10. Seriously, look up how free speech actually works.

11. If that's the case, then why are you having a fit over this? Words are just words, right? All we did was replace one word with a another...well...more with a paragraph actually, but I digress. You get the point.

12. Show us the "proper context" for the use of a racial slur and we'll take it under advisement.

13. You're free to make that choice. You are welcome to come back any time you want.

14. OK, but in the future if you do find a reason, feel free to post it.

As always, thanks for your input.

BB52Big.jpg

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So if the word you typed is (your words here:) "an unabigious[sic], utterly racist word, just like the N-word" then why would you not only use it, but then complain that it was edited?  Would you expect to be able to type the N-word?

Why is the word still readable on CCSL? Answer me that quesion? https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/168/Washington_Redskins/

How do you want to call this team using a nickname which they had from 1932-2020? You wanna censor the name completely, although they were called the way they were called in all these decades? As terrible as the name is, this will be very hard to do. How are you going to do that without distorting reality and denying their questionable history? Answer me that and we actually will have a basis for discussion.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Just a suggestion - maybe enclose the replacement text inside of brackets so that it's more obvious that it's a replacement and not what the poster actually wrote.

So like if I wanted to use the word [staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia], while discussing players that played on the [Washington Football Team] championship teams from like 40 years ago or whenever that sorry-ass team ever won anything, it'd be clear that it was essentially a MOD EDIT

Archived