Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Some guy said the R-S word was a slur and should be censored on the boards (like the n-word), and the mods followed through. Blame that guy and the mods for thinking it was worth indulging, if you wish.

I would rather we adopted the relative lawlessness of 4chan or KiwiFarms, but I’m an exception. 

That was me.  I'm just calling for consistency.  If it's been officially* designated a slur, then it should be treated the same as other slurs, and considering how language that even an 8-year-old uses is censored, a racial slur certainly should be.

I honestly don't see the issue, though as I noted in my previous thread, the way it's censored might be able to be improved.

I have no idea what Red Sox dude is arguing.  For a minute, I thought he was arguing that it should never be seen again and that it's the same as the N-word.  Now he's arguing that he wants to use it with impunity.  I really don't know what his point is, but whatever it is, he's not capable of articulating it.

In conclusion - history is just that.  The past.  Nobody is changing the past.  But the future exists to be shaped and molded, and we're moving forward without slurs.  I absolutely don't see the problem here.

As for the "free speech" argument - learn what the hell that means before complaining that an internet message board is taking away your rights.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

As a fan, I'm not a fan.

I honestly think the only that should change from the uniforms is the wording and the logo. This isn't the 1993 expansion Marlins changing from Florida to Miami after 20 years, this is a rather historical team. I find keeping everything possible the same is the best option.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

If we're not allowed to use naughty words and slurs, and the R-word is now officially a slur, shouldn't the filter replace it with :censored:?  Just axin'.

This is what inspired the “censorship,” @Go Red Sox!. If you want to redirect things, look at this post and the following ones.

This is a little silly to have this fight over a message board, don’t you think?

I have no clue what in the world you're even getting at because I dont think YOU do.

However, I do know what I am getting at:

Grey facemasks should be mandatory for ALL teams and football should change to wearing baseball stirrups.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

I don't get this notion that you cant use a name because another team in another league or sport uses it.  We live in a world where the Florida Panthers (1993) and Carolina Panthers (1995) came in to existence two years apart. Yet the Vegas Golden Knights were blocked from using Las Vegas Knights because of the London Knights of the OHL? A team NO ONE has heard of outside of Ontario Canada...

We have...

Jets (Winnipeg, New York)

Giants (San Francisco, New York)

Kings (L.A., Sacramento)

Panthers (Florida, Carolina)

Rangers (Texas, New York)

It isn't that the same nickname can't be used by franchises playing in the different North American major pro sports leagues. The examples you've pointed out are proof that such a scenario can occur. Rather, the move away from the same nickname being used by teams playing in the different major pro leagues is likely due to the majority of modern franchises wanting to carve out a unique space for themselves in the highly competitive pro sports marketplace. Whether for purposes of advertising, marketing, or with an eye towards licensed product merchandising, today's teams want to own their space. The vast majority feel that the best way to do so is by adopting a unique identity.    

I leave it at that. I got my opinions, my stance on that, and I definitely won't change it – and others got their views. That's the way it is.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

3 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

The First Amendment is just theory. A joke. The Constitution is nothing but theory, but practically it's a joke.

Same goes for rights. There are no rights if the state can take away these rights from you at any time,

Then why the hell do you keep referring to it? For the record, CCSLC isn't a "state." It's a message board.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Go Red Sox! said:

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

The government will not arrest or kill you for things you say, but your employer can fire you, a message board can suspend you, and any non-government org has the right to determine what's appropriate and what's not for their space.

In short - shut up and go away.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is what inspired the “censorship,” @Go Red Sox!. If you want to redirect things, look at this post and the following ones.

This is a little silly to have this fight over a message board, don’t you think?

90% of what we fight about is silly on a sports logos message board.  I'm going back to the wrestling thread... in a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Thanks, buddy.

I already proposed a solution to your problem (I think.  I thought I knew your problem, but now I'm not sure) and you accepted it.  Give the mods more than 30 seconds to consider it before freaking the hell out.

PLEASE - we've been doing fine in this thread.  Stop making up reasons to blow it up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, McCall said:
10 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

As a fan, I'm not a fan.

I honestly think the only that should change from the uniforms is the wording and the logo. This isn't the 1993 expansion Marlins changing from Florida to Miami after 20 years, this is a rather historical team. I find keeping everything possible the same is the best option.

its-ah-say-its-a-joke-son-nice-boy-but-h

BB52Big.jpg

9 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

As a fan, I'm not a fan.

I’m typically not a fan of grey facemasks. I still think the Colts messed up by not bringing back the blue facemask for their CR and/or new uniforms. However, I think if Washington is going stripeless helmet, grey is the way to go.

Archived