Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Grey masks

Beautiful! I must admit that colored masks are better for some teams, but the grey looks fantastic on the Seahawks, Steelers, Bears, Packers, Eagles, Panthers, and Texans. I’d be all for those teams using grey face masks as primaries.

Heck, the Chiefs last year used grey face masks in their game against the Vikings, and that look fantastic as an alternate (the white masks are a better primary design).

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I think the Jets did a good job with it a few years ago

spacer.png

and the Bills did and do a good job with it

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Bills were at the front of my mind as being awful when I made my comment, haha. But the Jets look better in green as well. The biggest thing for me is the white shell and white facemask. The white BIlls on red isnt the most terrible thing.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I disagree that gray masks work for all the teams in that graphic, but it does solidify my opinion that with the right finish, the WTFs would absolutely look better with a gray mask.  The facts are that as it stands, their helmet will have no white, while their jerseys and pants will.  While that's not necessarily a problem, I'd like to see a third color on the helmet, and since there's no white stripes anymore and a white mask would look terrible, I'd go with gray.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

That W-star logo in your avatar would make for a nice interim logo that could be adapted to fit pretty much any of their potential new names.  Did you do that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That W-star logo in your avatar would make for a nice interim logo that could be adapted to fit pretty much any of their potential new names.  Did you do that?

Yes. I design it in a way to fit a multitude of different potential names.

I know we’re not supposed to promote our own concepts, but here is the thread if you’d like to take a look (it’s mid-to-bottom first page)-

4 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

...and "Knights" would have been unique in PRO sports how did a lowly OHL team prevent Vegas from doing whatever they wanted...

The Ontario Hockey League and its member-teams may strike you as "lowly", but major junior hockey (particularly the sports' Canadian leagues and clubs) has long played an important role in the development of National Hockey League talent. As such, the NHL was undoubtedly loath to see an issue such as a trademark dispute become a sore spot between the two leagues and their teams.

Further, by the time that Bill Foley's Las Vegas-based NHL expansion bid was approved in June 2016, an OHL team dubbed the London Knights had been in operation for 48 years, with said club holding the existing Canadian Intellectual Property Office trademark rights to its name for 19 years. As a result, Foley's NHL franchise wasn't going to be able to secure the Canadian trademark rights to the Knights name. Yes, theoretically, Foley could have opted to name his NHL franchise the Las Vegas Knights or Vegas Knights, but the team wouldn't have enjoyed trademark protection for said identity in Canada. That would have opened up all manner of problems when it came to issues such as merchandise licensing.

Which is precisely why the London Knights opted to protect their trademark in Canada and why Foley opted to trademark the name Vegas Golden Knights. Each entity wants to own their space - no matter how marginally different they might be - with regard to areas such as advertising, marketing, and licensed product merchandising.        

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Two things:

1. I don’t think the grey face masks suck to be honest. Looks like the league equipment standard like the white chinstrap. If whoever the first team was to color the face mask never does it I don’t think we’d care about this.

2. I’m starting to like Washington’s new helmet. In a league with that much history it makes sense that there would be a team with nothing on it, a team with a logo on one side, and a team with numbers on the shell. Every league has teams that stick with the past and WFT works as that team, even if it happened in 2020.

Washington having the player's numbers on their helmets is unusual to see in a league where every team has a logo on their helmets (with the exception of the Vikings, Bengals and Browns of course).

8 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Pretty sure it was the 72 or 73 Chargers.

edit: also if we’re going to go the face mask equals league equipment nonsense then all teams might as well have white helmets too. 

No hockey doesn’t have teams wear all white helmets.

45 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Washington having the player's numbers on their helmets is unusual to see in a league where every team has a logo on their helmets (with the exception of the Vikings, Bengals and Browns of course).

Technically the Vikings do have a logo on their helmets, but I see what you’re saying.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I love the "facemask is just equipment" argument because some anti gray maskers seem to find it so infuriating.

because it is infuriating.  Not as infuriating as when a 90% member's posts are just copy/pastes of the same thing year-in and year-out, but still infuriating.

If it was just equipment, then it'd be required to be a consistent color league wide, like the chinstraps.  Teams are free to color their mask as they see fit, and considering it's literally a logo, it cannot be considered 'equipment' by any reasonable person who's open to discuss topics.

You like gray masks.  We get it.  We've gotten it for a decade now.  They're no different than anything else - they work sometimes, and they don't work others.  

Archived