rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Sure do love all these yellow gold pants in the league

All three are officially called gold, though. PANTONE-wise, they use the exact same shade; FFB81C with RGB values of R255 G184 B28, which is right around the range of California Gold's RGB values of R253, G181, B21.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

EehszzKWsAYRx4h?format=jpg&name=large

I might be misunderstanding your point here but the Chargers have never used metallic gold like NO and SF have? 

Also, @Gothamite is right, there are no yellow teams in the league, it's all technically Athletic Gold

Edit: Thinking about it now, Navy and Metallic Gold might look really good for the Chargers. 

35 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

All three are officially called gold, though. PANTONE-wise, they use the exact same shade; FFB81C with RGB values of R255 G184 B28, which is right around the range of California Gold's RGB values of R253, G181, B21.

I get that Pantone definitions are like a style guide here and in the design world, so I understand the semantics of this debate. But you take those Steelers, Washington and Packers pictures to the streets and ask people about the color of the pants, they're all going to say yellow. 

It's this board's equivalent to "it's not mustard, it's Grey Poupon."

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I get that Pantone definitions are like a style guide here and in the design world, so I understand the semantics of this debate. But you take those Steelers, Washington and Packers pictures to the streets and ask people about the color of the pants, they're all going to say yellow. 

It's this board's equivalent to "it's not mustard, it's Grey Poupon."

Except of course, if you're in PIttsburgh where a vast majority would call them gold.

8 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I might be misunderstanding your point here but the Chargers have never used metallic gold like NO and SF have

Also, @Gothamite is right, there are no yellow teams in the league, it's all technically Athletic Gold

Edit: Thinking about it now, Navy and Metallic Gold might look really good for the Chargers. 

The point was GB, PIT, and WAS all use "gold" while LAC, NO, and SF all utilize far superior shades of gold.

Gold pants 4 life.*

*Until I change my mind in a few days.

13 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Except of course, if you're in PIttsburgh where a vast majority would call them gold.

They also call rubber bands "gum bands" and ice cream sprinkles "jimmies," so it's not where I'd look to gauge language commonalities. But yea, everything's black and gold there. I get it. 

33 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The point was GB, PIT, and WAS all use "gold" while LAC, NO, and SF all utilize far superior shades of gold.

LAC, GB, PIT, and WAS all use vastly similar shades of athletic gold. 

15 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

LAC, GB, PIT, and WAS all use vastly similar shades of athletic gold. 

The Chargers gold isn’t the same. Or at least shouldn’t be. It’s darker than the others. 

the different shadeS of gold that LAC, NO, and SF utilize are far superior than the “gold” that GB, PIT, and WAS use.

Also, isn’t “vastly similar” a bit of an oxymoron?

EDIT: Apparently Washington and LA both use the same shade of gold. I don’t see it though.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

The Chargers gold isn’t the same. Or at least shouldn’t be. It’s darker than the others. 

the different shadeS of gold that LAC, NO, and SF utilize are far superior than the “gold” that GB, PIT, and WAS use.

Also, isn’t “vastly similar” a bit of an oxymoron?

EDIT: Apparently Washington and LA both use the same shade of gold. I don’t see it though.

Chargers AND WFT? I don't see it.

2 hours ago, _J_ said:

Sure we call it that, but all of us know it's actually yellow. Wiz Khalifa, local kid, even had a #1 hit with "Black and Yellow."

Yellow and gold can be synonymous in the way that red and scarlet can be. Nothing is real, especially when talking about colors.

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Yellow and gold can be synonymous in the way that red and scarlet can be. Nothing is real, especially when talking about colors.

It’s more like “teal” and “sky blue”.  Two related colors, but with a distinguishable and specific difference.  Teal is light blue with a bit of green added, and Athletic Gold is yellow with a touch of red.

People may use “teal” and “powder blue” interchangeably in conversation.  Which is fine, people can be casual sometimes, but it doesn’t mean that the terms don’t really mean what they really mean. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s more like “teal” and “sky blue”.  Similar colors, but with a distinguishable and specific difference.  Teal is light blue with a bit of green added, and Athletic Gold is yellow with a touch of orange.

People may use “teal” and “powder blue” interchangeably in conversation.  Which is fine, people can be casual sometimes, but it doesn’t mean that the terms don’t really mean what they really mean. 

Teal is an especially weird color. I've never heard it referred to as powder blue, but I have seen it used in place of turquoise. The point I'm making is that sometimes the distinction of colors is often pointless. Not for the purposes of dorks like us, but for normal humans that don't give a :censored:.

I recall a post that once showed that the "scarlet" used by one school was the same as the "cardinal" used by another. While shades of colors matter to us (dorks), it may not mean anything to normal people. Maybe one of us should become president and make these distinctions law since anybody can have that job.

Really hoping the Washington NFL Team goes with Redwolves as their name. They're native to the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. The uniform possibilities have alot of potential. And could you imagine an entire crowd howling like wolves? That would be amazing.

9 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Teal is an especially weird color. I've never heard it referred to as powder blue, but I have seen it used in place of turquoise. The point I'm making is that sometimes the distinction of colors is often pointless. Not for the purposes of dorks like us, but for normal humans that don't give a :censored:.

I recall a post that once showed that the "scarlet" used by one school was the same as the "cardinal" used by another. While shades of colors matter to us (dorks), it may not mean anything to normal people. Maybe one of us should become president and make these distinctions law since anybody can have that job.

You’re right - color names are in many cases largely meaningless, and different teams can describe the same color with different names. 

But still, sometimes words mean things.  And in an environment so attuned to the finest detail, we should use the words correctly.

i really don’t mind when people call athletic gold “yellow”.  It’s imprecise but not really untrue. I do tend to get a little Irked, though, when it’s accompanied by a statement along the lines of “let’s be honest” or “this is what it really is”.  Sloppiness is one thing, dressIng it up as courage or profundity is quite another. 

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You’re right - color names are in many cases largely meaningless, and different teams can describe the same color with different names. 

But still, sometimes words mean things.  And in an environment so attuned to the finest detail, we should use the words correctly.

i really don’t mind when people call athletic gold “yellow”.  It’s imprecise but not really untrue. I do tend to get a little Irked, though, when it’s accompanied by a statement along the lines of “let’s be honest” or “this is what it really is”.  Sloppiness is one thing, dressIng it up as courage or profundity is quite another. 

Yeah, but sometime's there's just a touch of arrogance within all that precision. Like, it's possible to have a conversation about not liking yellow pants without having to point out, "Well, technically ..." it's gold. (Nobody said "well, technically." It just felt implied.) There's also nothing profound about nitpicking "the finest detail," particularly when, as you said, the imprecision didn't make it untrue. It drives me nuts when people use improper grammar, but I'm not the guy who points it out in casual conversation. 

Turns out we all have pet peeves. And we apparently found one in each of us.