rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

Fair enough.  We each see arrogance and self-importance in the other position.

 

Let's get back to the one thing we can agree upon: Daniel Snyder is a garbage human being.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky blue is a light blue. Teal is a blue with a greenish tint. Or a green with a bluish tint, depending on your perspective.

 

The gold/yellow debate is entirely semantic because unless you're using a shade thats nowhere close to yellow a la NO/SF, people will still refer to it as yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Fair enough.  We each see arrogance and self-importance in the other position.

 

Let's get back to the one thing we can agree upon: Daniel Snyder is a garbage human being.  :D 

Well said, my friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Well said, my friend. 

 

I'll second/third that notion. Just imagine...Snyder could have saved himself all this grief if he had actually gotten in front of the name change years ago. He could have said "we want to eventually change the name with input from our fans"...and because he didn't his team is stuck with a blank helmet with no name for this season.

 

Since he clearly wasn't capable of thinking in this manner to begin with, he deep-sixed the identity of one of the oldest franchises in the NFL. He's only agreed to change the name now because of his multi billion dollar sponsors who were threatening to pull out...that says a lot about his character. Of course, the harassment of 15 female employees on his watch also says a lot about his character. 🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, he also severely mistreated the team's cheerleaders to the point of basically pimping them out to season ticket holders. 

 

I'm still disappointed we never got official confirmation on whether the rumors about all the crazy stuff allegedly going on with Snyder and Jay Gruden were true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many stories of Snyder being a terrible human being, and worse from the NFL's perspective a terrible owner, that it makes me wonder what he's got on Goodell.

 

I know, I know, owners are very reluctant to hold their partners accountable for anything, lest that power later be turned on them.  But Snyder has so bungled this situation that he engineered a revolt from billion dollar league partners and has now upended the entire merchandising chain.  At some point, the owners have to recognize that they're never going to be as awful as Snyder is and finally force him out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There are so many stories of Snyder being a terrible human being, and worse from the NFL's perspective a terrible owner, that it makes me wonder what he's got on Goodell.

 

I know, I know, owners are very reluctant to hold their partners accountable for anything, lest that power later be turned on them.  But Snyder has so bungled this situation that he engineered a revolt from billion dollar league partners and has now upended the entire merchandising chain.  At some point, the owners have to recognize that they're never going to be as awful as Snyder is and finally force him out. 

 

If there was a time to give him the sterling or richardson treatment and force a sale, it's now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, guest23 said:

 

If there was a time to give him the sterling or richardson treatment and force a sale, it's now.

That would require the NFL and its owners to have a soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't have to have souls, just an ounce of business sense or self-awareness. 

 

Reptile cunning, even.  Something to make them realize that their continuing association with Snyder is a bad, bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, guest23 said:

 

If there was a time to give him the sterling or richardson treatment and force a sale, it's now.

Just so we're clear, Richardson wasn't forced to sell, he saw the writing on the wall and bailed. Sterling was forced out, but the NBA seems to be a little more in-touch with, you know, being decent human beings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, QCS said:

Just so we're clear, Richardson wasn't forced to sell, he saw the writing on the wall and bailed. Sterling was forced out, but the NBA seems to be a little more in-touch with, you know, being decent human beings. 

 

Adam Silver is getting a lot of praise for the NBA's bubble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gothamite said:


You’re right - color names are in many cases largely meaningless, and different teams can describe the same color with different names. 
 

But still, sometimes words mean things.  And in an environment so attuned to the finest detail, we should use the words correctly.

 

i really don’t mind when people call athletic gold “yellow”.  It’s imprecise but not really untrue. I do tend to get a little Irked, though, when it’s accompanied by a statement along the lines of “let’s be honest” or “this is what it really is”.  Sloppiness is one thing, dressIng it up as courage or profundity is quite another. 


Have you ever found origin stories for color names? I think that would be fascinating.

 

For example, why is “mint” generally accepted to be a soft, bright green when most mint varieties are a darker, more intense “kelly” color?

 

I recently found out that “powder” blue is named after cobalt powder (a popular pigment), but even then, cobalt powder is generally much deeper and more intense in color than anything we would call powder blue (which is why we have a separate color we traditionally call “cobalt” blue). Maybe there were impurities in old pigment powders that diluted the color?
 

Also interesting to note that some cultures still don’t have a word for blue, and it doesn’t appear in historical texts where we assume it would, such as an instance of a writer describing the color of the ocean, implying that it’s probably the “newest” hue our eyes have come to recognize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Also interesting to note that some cultures still don’t have a word for blue, and it doesn’t appear in historical texts where we assume it would, such as an instance of a writer describing the color of the ocean, implying that it’s probably the “newest” hue our eyes have come to recognize.

Funnily enough, in Japan, blue has been around for a long time while green is new. Their word for "fresh leaves", or those you'd find on a tree, something many of us would call definitively green, would be directly translated from Japanese as "blue leaves" and their traffic lights are actually red-yellow-blue, implying that blue has been around in Japanese longer than in European languages.

 

As for color name etymology, I find it fascinating. Orange, the color, was named after orange the fruit, not the other way around. Cardinal red (and the bird) apparently takes its name from the clothing of religious cardinals. To answer your question about mint, this is the shade defined as "mint", while this is "bright mint", something closer to what we think of as mint. My best guess is that brighter shades of mint were used and called "mint", shifting the public's idea of what shade "mint" is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, QCS said:

Funnily enough, in Japan, blue has been around for a long time while green is new. Their word for "fresh leaves", or those you'd find on a tree, something many of us would call definitively green, would be directly translated from Japanese as "blue leaves" and their traffic lights are actually red-yellow-blue, implying that blue has been around in Japanese longer than in European languages.

 

As for color name etymology, I find it fascinating. Orange, the color, was named after orange the fruit, not the other way around. Cardinal red (and the bird) apparently takes its name from the clothing of religious cardinals. To answer your question about mint, this is the shade defined as "mint", while this is "bright mint", something closer to what we think of as mint. My best guess is that brighter shades of mint were used and called "mint", shifting the public's idea of what shade "mint" is.


Amazing. Conversely, there are some African cultures that can’t see any difference between green and blue, but can easily pick out imperceptible differences (well, imperceptible to us) in tones of green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw in Paul Lukas' NFL uniform ratings he rated the Chiefs uniforms 30th because of their use of an arrowhead. While I do not agree with this or his rankings as a whole I think an outline of the state of Missouri with KC inside would be an interesting route to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm convinced more than ever that every team needs a designated nerd to prevent this from happening. I'm free, so just DM me for my contact info.

 

@andrewharrington and @QCS just shot up to the top of my hypothetical draft board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

So does Mr. Creamer wanna upload those Washington logos orrrr.........

 

Washington Football Team Logos

 

Washington Football Team Primary Logos

 

U660kl8.png

 

R9qwBT8.png

 

Washington Football Team Alternate Logos

 

7h8Luih.png

 

rM4Adyq.png

 

Washington Football Team Wordmark Logos

 

nug44cJ.png

 

279xa2d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

 

Washington Football Team Logos

 

Washington Football Team Primary Logos

 

U660kl8.png

 

R9qwBT8.png

 

Washington Football Team Alternate Logos

 

7h8Luih.png

 

rM4Adyq.png

 

Washington Football Team Wordmark Logos

 

nug44cJ.png

 

279xa2d.png

As much as these are generic temporary logos, they’re a great start to building a new identity. I have a feeling they’ll stay around with the new identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I saw in Paul Lukas' NFL uniform ratings he rated the Chiefs uniforms 30th because of their use of an arrowhead. While I do not agree with this or his rankings as a whole I think an outline of the state of Missouri with KC inside would be an interesting route to take.

 

I guess this is his latest crusade? It's his column so he can do what he wants I guess. But it feels like he's going out of the way to make a point, especially when many have considered KC to have some of the best uniforms in the league. Washington also had fine looking uniforms and I'm sure many thought they were great on their own even if they didn't like the name. You do you, Paul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Survival79 said:

 

These are not correct.

 

According to official logo slick there is no workmark right now.

 

Washington with the year is primary

Washington alone is secondary

Roudel is tertiary

 

W by itself is not an official logo.

 

9jfDWt4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.