Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

11 minutes ago, ThePonderer said:

That's a good point. They are trying to disassociate with their former identity and I agree that pushing Brand X is not worth the effort. But my counter argument to that then is why make merchandise with any of these marks? Why bother putting Washington on the chest? I could also ask this question to the LA Rams. Why switch everything to white and do a complete 180 a few years later? Owners invest time and money into this enterprise. Selling a product, even in transition, comes with wanting your customers (or fans in this scenario) to connect with you.

Dan Snyder sucks and we can all agree on that. But after living in an area (Richmond, VA) where a large mass of Washington fans identify and connect with the team and its history, this is a real kick in the nuts for them. Now I'm a Ravens fan. I don't have that same fandom they do. However I've also been an advocate of them changing the name for a long time and what better way to transition into something new than to identify as Washington's team? For me, if I was a fan of them, something as simple as that roundel or the singular W logo helps make that transition a bit more bearable.

I think the simple answer to this is, because people will still buy it. It may not sell all that well, relative to teams with an actual brand, but it'll still sell, because people will buy anything. I could see some people seeing a Washington Football Team t-shirt as representing the spoils of war, a token of victory. Others just might appreciate the novelty of this brief period in history. Before long, it'll become kitsch. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the simple answer to this is, because people will still buy it. It may not sell all that well, relative to teams with an actual brand, but it'll still sell, because people will buy anything. I could see some people seeing a Washington Football Team t-shirt as representing the spoils of war, a token of victory. Others just might appreciate the novelty of this brief period in history. Before long, it'll become kitsch. 

Exactly. People will buy it because it represents the brand they support or for some the change that is occurring. Call me crazy but I love those little kitsch (or niche) things. For example, the one off NY Giants logo in 1975 or the TN Oilers patches from '97-'98. As I mentioned in my other reply, it's probably more of a personal preference. But I think it's something that can always bleed over into a rebranding. Because there is a possibility you may see the new Washington font and W included in the new branding. That may not be the case in a year or two and perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. But I'm not opposed to it if that could be a part of the plan.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I think I like the yellow pants with the white jerseys now that they're using that helmet.  The white jersey over burgundy pants look is the "Rs" look as far as I'm concerned, so ditching the burgundy pants would be a good way to separate without really separating.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, canzman said:

It isn't just this those. There have been a lot of inconsistency and inaccuracy in these documents over the years for all franchise under normal circumstances.

OK so it's like any other large organization then.

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

What is the yellow item screwed in near the ear? Is that where some sort of COVID related mouth shield will attach? Or is that for something else 

It’s a helmet bumper. All teams have them. It’s just that Washington chose to make them yellow instead of a standard black, white, or grey.

48 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It’s a helmet bumper. All teams have them. It’s just that Washington chose to make them yellow instead of a standard black, white, or grey.

I think he’s referring to the gold plastic piece close to the ear hole. 

That is a feature on newer Schutt helmets. I think it’s called a “stabilizer” or something of the like.  It’s been around for 3 or 4 years now. I can’t see where it adds any benefit/safety, but I could be wrong.

It goes unnoticed for the most part as most teams “stabilizer” is the same color as the shell.  Washington is one of the few outliers that uses a contrasting color.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

On 8/5/2020 at 7:39 AM, canzman said:

These are not correct.

According to official logo slick there is no workmark right now.

Washington with the year is primary

Washington alone is secondary

Roudel is tertiary

W by itself is not an official logo.

Thanks -- at the time I added this section to the site there was no logo slick available so I had to make an educated guess as to what their primary/secondary/etc was, now that it has suddenly appeared, I will make the necessary corrections.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Up close look at the helmet. Seems to be a different finish than previous seasons.

How can you tell by a single photo? It looks like a dark red (aka burgundy) with a light metallic finish which does not seem different from recent seasons.

16 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Just spitballing here, but I think it would have been a neat touch if they had shaped the bottom of the W like the Washington Monument point.

The lack of any interesting design elements is intentional.  They're taking a year (or two...) to go to zero and a completely blank slate, giving the fans a while to let the outrage simmer and perhaps be more open to the new ideas.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Up close look at the helmet. Seems to be a different finish than previous seasons.

The team has had a metallic clear coat finish for at least 15 years...I'm not I see the new finish here...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The team has had a metallic clear coat finish for at least 15 years...I'm not I see the new finish here...

It looks more like just molded plastic with a clear coat and not the metallic burgundy paint they used in the past, but could just be lighting and the angle 

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

It looks more like just molded plastic with a clear coat and not the metallic burgundy paint they used in the past, but could just be lighting and the angle 

Metallic flakes/sparkle is clearly there. The sparkle can be seen in that preview still shot. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

56 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Metallic flakes/sparkle is clearly there. The sparkle can be seen in that preview still shot. 

That could be the same sparkle that’s on teams like the dolphins who clearly have molded helmets, they just add the sparkle clear coat to look better under the lights.

Archived