Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

Let's see here

• No matter whether you love or hate them, they have your attention, generating views and revenue
  • They are the only team to sell their own merch, continuously topping the league in sales, even during losing seasons
  • Their worth $5 billion as of 2019
  • They were originally called America's Team because during the Landry-Staubach days, EVERYONE not in Chicago or Green Bay loved them. Fans crowded the road stands(much like last year's Chargers, but for different reasons)
  • 7 of the 8 Super Bowls featuring Dallas and the NFC Champ. game vs San Fran had record-breaking ratings

AMERICA'S TEAM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, -kj said:

... was a BS invented marketing term.

...but it is memorable enough to bring back feelings/memories, good or bad, about the team. So it was great marketing.

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Landry/Staubach Cowboys teams were where I first cut my Cowboy-hating teeth.  When I was a lad, (young people, take a deep breath) we only got at best 4 NFL games a week, and with only the local sports news for clips, virtually zero national highlights (outside of Howard Cosell's MNF halftime show).  At that time CBS had the NFC rights and, living in Ohio far away from Minnesota, I was desperate for Viking games, clips, highlights, anything.  Instead CBS crammed the despicable Dallas Cowboys down our unwilling throats while NBC alternated the Bengals and Browns. Everyone I knew hated, hated, HATED, the Cowboys, but every week CBS (as my brother called them, the Cowboys Broadcasting System) continued to put them on. My Lord, I hated them. And CBS was so unabashed in their blatant favoritism.  Friggin' Phyllis George litterally cried on air after one glorious playoff flame out by those pompous jerkwads. "America's team"... the nerve!  My hate knew no bounds. When Skeletor... I mean Jerry Jones bought them, the hate just continued.  

See now you're just making me nostalgic for 70's football.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

14 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Landry/Staubach Cowboys teams were where I first cut my Cowboy-hating teeth.  When I was a lad, (young people, take a deep breath) we only got at best 4 NFL games a week, and with only the local sports news for clips, virtually zero national highlights (outside of Howard Cosell's MNF halftime show).  At that time CBS had the NFC rights and, living in Ohio far away from Minnesota, I was desperate for Viking games, clips, highlights, anything.  Instead CBS crammed the despicable Dallas Cowboys down our unwilling throats while NBC alternated the Bengals and Browns. Everyone I knew hated, hated, HATED, the Cowboys, but every week CBS (as my brother called them, the Cowboys Broadcasting System) continued to put them on. My Lord, I hated them. And CBS was so unabashed in their blatant favoritism.  Friggin' Phyllis George litterally cried on air after one glorious playoff flame out by those pompous jerkwads. "America's team"... the nerve!  My hate knew no bounds. When Skeletor... I mean Jerry Jones bought them, the hate just continued.  

Other than being desperate for Vikings games, that is exactly how I would describe my experience with the 70's Cowboys - right down to the "Cowboys Broadcasting System." I had one friend who was a Cowboys fan and the only reason he was a Cowboys fan was because he was from Texas. Everyone else despised that team.

BB52Big.jpg

52 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

EVERYONE not in Chicago or Green Bay loved them.

Thats the biggest load of bull :censored: I've ever seen on this site

Edit: Green Bay and Chicago weren't even competitive teams when Staubach was on the Cowboys with 1 division title between them from 69-79. Their main playoff rival was Minnesota. What the :censored: are you talking about 

I started watching football in earnest in the early/mid-90s and at that time, it was the Cowboys and everyone else. The reality may have been different, but at the time it felt like Dallas had the best QB, the best RB and the best WR and the rest of the league might as well jump in a lake. For all of the Patriots' success, they never felt like they had the deck stacked in raw talent the same way Dallas did. (turns out when you can't win, you cheat; it's the American way!)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Not to mention the Drew Pearson push-off

Most of the people who want the new name for Washington to be “Redwolves” are literally this-

spacer.png

Anytime you ask them to backup their opinion it boils down to basically one (or more of these-

-“because wolves go RAWR”

-“da name sounds cool”

-“claw marks would look fresh and 🔥/❄️

Stop asking them, and if "them" aren't on this board, then don't bring your issues with them here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Stop asking them, and if "them" aren't on this board, then don't bring your issues with them here.

It’s literally about the general public’s view on the potential new name but OK. Whatever you say. Won’t happen again

Episode 1 Wink GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Let's see here

• No matter whether you love or hate them, they have your attention, generating views and revenue
  • They are the only team to sell their own merch, continuously topping the league in sales, even during losing seasons
  • Their worth $5 billion as of 2019
  • They were originally called America's Team because during the Landry-Staubach days, EVERYONE not in Chicago or Green Bay loved them. Fans crowded the road stands(much like last year's Chargers, but for different reasons)
  • 7 of the 8 Super Bowls featuring Dallas and the NFC Champ. game vs San Fran had record-breaking ratings

AMERICA'S TEAM

Washington didn't do any of that. Stop stealing my hashtag that I came up with on my own.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, canzman said:

So based on what we got this is just my guess as to the possible options/combos for Washington this season.

Dark
BpZCaN3.jpg

Gawd, I LOVE this helmet:

and doesn't it play into the current "Hey-look-at-ME-it's-all-about-ME" climate of the current NFL?

Each player has his own personal logo on his brain-bucket!

It's brilliant! Stick a fork in it!

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Other than being desperate for Vikings games, that is exactly how I would describe my experience with the 70's Cowboys - right down to the "Cowboys Broadcasting System." I had one friend who was a Cowboys fan and the only reason he was a Cowboys fan was because he was from Texas. Everyone else despised that team.

I grew up in Maryland and knew NO ONE who liked the Cowboys. It was even easier to hate the Cowboys when my mother called Tom Landry "Stoneface" and continuously pointed out the fact that he never smiled.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Everyone I knew hated, hated, HATED, the Cowboys, but every week CBS (as my brother called them, the Cowboys Broadcasting System) continued to put them on.

Well, good thing that doesn't happen anymore. Formerdynasty...Over-the-air...Xhibition? I'm dying here help me

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Speaking of Washington merch, the retail helmets will have a "00" decal on them

Washington Football Team Riddell Mini Speed Helmet

Pocket pros not yet up for pre-order, for those like me looking to update the ol' display case 😉

Interesting. I was under the impression that the LA Chargers mini helmet wouldn't have numbers. Why the inconsistency?

It's where I sit.

Archived