rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

On 8/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that the LA Chargers mini helmet wouldn't have numbers. Why the inconsistency?

If it's a one year jersey, they should just put "20", as if we wanted to be reminded of this year.

Pretty sure I made the exact same comment about the Chargers helmet about 10, 20, years ago, whenever they were unveiled.

2 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I just will call them the Washington Generic Football Team.

The Washington Generalities... Generals for short.

5 hours ago, nash61 said:

The Washington Generalities... Generals for short.

I completely misread this as Genitals.

I need to go back to sleep.

Just now, Chromatic said:

Why did a name as terrible as "Redwolves" start getting so much traction anyway?

Because wolf-coyote hybrids are cool? I guess? 😛

On 8/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, Faxion said:

Yep...this is the future of Washington's revisionist past. Native Americans are now deleted from the team's entire history. 

This is from the official Washington twitter feed:

spacer.png

The only thing I noticed wrong with the comic is the placement of the Nike Swoosh in his "return" and the lack of helmet numbers and white on the sleeves. 

Throwback head logo removed from sleeves. Washington wordmark added to front. Gold facemask not grey (if you want to be pedantic).

6 minutes ago, Faxion said:

Throwback head logo removed from sleeves. Washington wordmark added to front. Gold facemask not grey (if you want to be pedantic).

The face mask would be gold in the return image, that’s not the throwback.

16 minutes ago, Faxion said:

There would be zero fans in the stadium if that was a return image :)

Zero fans in a 2020 return image.  A 2021 image would have a stadium full of opposing fans.  haha

18 minutes ago, Faxion said:

There would be zero fans in the stadium if that was a return image :)

Those are just cardboard cutouts. 😜😜

I'll admit I overlooked the throwback sleeves, though. 

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Why did a name as terrible as "Redwolves" start getting so much traction anyway?

I remember an article a few weeks ago said Washington needs to focus on an iconic name that can flow easily in the ranks of “Yankees”.

Redwolves is a ginormous flop if that’s the direction they want to go. It’s lazy, lacks creativity, and is a noticeable cop out at retaining “HTTR”. (IMO)

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Because wolf-coyote hybrids are cool? I guess? 😛

Yeah, you get it.

The team just made a show out of hiring a black guy to be the team president, which leads me to believe it'll be Redtails in a baldly cynical attempt to position themselves as a team for The Community and get everyone off their ass. As long as it's a Dan Snyder production it won't work

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

People like different things. Of the names suggested, I'll admit it's my personal favorite. I don't like the idea of the team having a military themed name, so Redtails, Warriors and all the other suggestions of that theme just don't appeal to me (and A LOT of others that live here).

Same goes for names in line with Capitals, Federals, Senators, etc. Seriously, the citizens of DC don't need the constant reminder (from people that don't even live here) that we live in the nation's capital. Why must all our teams represent the entire nation or the government in some way?

With that said, I can easily get behind a ferocious, wild canine for the new name and imagery 🤷🏾‍♂️ HTTRedwolves 🐺 

Yeah, I have no dog in the fight, but Redwolves is the best of the most mentioned choices IMO. The military pandering would do nothing for me, and warriors is easily the most generic of the names that get brought up.  Plus Redwolves works great with the color scheme and has excellent logo potential.

I feel like the majority of people think the name “Warriors” absolutely HAS to be tied into Native American imagery.

It doesn’t. Don’t try to pretend is does.

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

It has the potential to be an iconic identity in-line with “Yankees”. It can be a Greek warrior, a Roman warrior, a king’s knight, it can even be some type of animal.

Hell, you could technically classify the Titans mascot as a warrior-

spacer.png

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like the majority of people think the name “Warriors” absolutely HAS to be tied into Native American imagery.

It doesn’t. Don’t try to pretend is does.

latest?cb=20090812215223\

IQvNZ6Xe.jpg

HpIteLxjxRi-4YpeXBYK0AHCw1DCgRs6QcJqU16c

19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It has the potential to be an iconic identity in-line with “Yankees”.

It is. For the Warriors!