Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

24 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like the majority of people think the name “Warriors” absolutely HAS to be tied into Native American imagery.

It doesn’t. Don’t try to pretend is does.

I'm not trying to pretend it has to be tied to Native imagery. But I'm also not trying to pretend it isn't the most boring of the choices. I'm also not trying to pretend that it hasn't been completely associated with a rather successful NBA team.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not trying to pretend it has to be tied to Native imagery. But I'm also not trying to pretend it isn't the most boring of the choices. I'm also not trying to pretend that it hasn't been completely associated with a rather successful NBA team.

Apologies. It wasn’t aimed at you. It was meant to be a general statement.

My opinion on the matter at hand is what I’ve said numerous times before. Anything “Red[insert noun]” is lazy and a cop out.

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

My opinion on the matter at hand is what I’ve said numerous times before. Anything “Red[insert noun]” is lazy and a cop out.

Even in the case of Red Wolves being a real life creature that has historic ties to the region? It's not like they'd be pulling a Seahawks move and making up a name for an animal that already exist.

I'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't be a convenient new name for the team (2 syllables, beginning with Red). For this particular situation, convenient may be the best option seeing how retiring the old name triggered a big portion of the team's fanbase in a major way (you won't believe the pissy fits some adults are having in the comments of the team's social media pages multiple times per day). Sometimes you just gotta make the pill easier to swallow. I feel that Red Wolves would be accepted easier and quicker the than any other names they come up with. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I remember an article a few weeks ago said Washington needs to focus on an iconic name that can flow easily in the ranks of “Yankees”.

I don't want to politicize this thread, but in a vacuum, Washington "Republicans" is a really cool, classic name. 

No chance of that ever happening, but linguistically it sounds good. 

Democrats would also be an amazing retro-style name for a baseball team, a la Washington Senators.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

10 hours ago, nash61 said:

I don't want to politicize this thread, but in a vacuum, Washington "Republicans" is a really cool, classic name. 

Democrats would also be an amazing retro-style name for a baseball team, a la Washington Senators.

But they play in a stadium, not a vacuum.

Sorry - those both stink 🙂

It's where I sit.

Republicans and Democrats might be the silliest suggestion I've read in this thread.  Maybe we can have team names that don't sound like they were come up with by 60-year-old white guys discussing the issue over a game of golf.  If there was a committee made up of a group that better resembled both the players and leadership in the community, would they ever come up with those names?  Could you ever picture a team meeting where some linebacker is like "maybe we should be the democrats due to Washington's significance in..." or some other younger person that's (hopefully) more in tune with the current generation is like "I think we should embody the spirit of the Pioneers"? 

I'm not suggesting to let the name be "Ballers" or anything like that, or to weigh the players' input higher than anyone else's, but maybe something that everyone can relate to in some way, not just old men in a board room (or... "bored" room) and white kids in the middle of Idaho.  Something that maybe gives the athletes at least some feeling of inclusion, rather than a constant reminder that they work for some out-of-touch pandering organization.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, nash61 said:

Washington Democratic-Republicans. Thomas Jefferson approves.

Alternatives: the Washington Whigs, or the Washington Carpetbaggers 

Edit: This got me thinking of the Washington Federalists, but why not the Washington Federals? They could be called the Feds for short, and the FedEx guy who got the ball rolling on all this would certainly approve. Also the above names are a joke, for those of you who couldn’t figure it out.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Republicans and Democrats might be the silliest suggestion I've read in this thread.  Maybe we can have team names that don't sound like they were come up with by 60-year-old white guys discussing the issue over a game of golf.  If there was a committee made up of a group that better resembled both the players and leadership in the community, would they ever come up with those names?  Could you ever picture a team meeting where some linebacker is like "maybe we should be the democrats due to Washington's significance in..." or some other younger person that's (hopefully) more in tune with the current generation is like "I think we should embody the spirit of the Pioneers"? 

I'm not suggesting to let the name be "Ballers" or anything like that, or to weigh the players' input higher than anyone else's, but maybe something that everyone can relate to in some way, not just old men in a board room (or... "bored" room) and white kids in the middle of Idaho.  Something that maybe gives the athletes at least some feeling of inclusion, rather than a constant reminder that they work for some out-of-touch pandering organization

What sort of name are you thinking would accomplish that?

It’s stolen valor from Arkansas, but why not the Washington Razorbacks? For some reason I like that better than a name with “hog” specifically in it.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

6 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Edit: This got me thinking of the Washington Federalists, but why not the Washington Federals? They could be called the Feds for short, and the FedEx guy who got the ball rolling on all this would certainly approve. Also the above names are a joke, for those of you who couldn’t figure it out.

I 100% approve of this naming.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

What sort of name are you thinking would accomplish that?

I don’t have any idea as I don’t know exactly who the right people are to come up with it or how they think. I just know that “Federals”, “Republicans”, “Pioneers”, and many of the other names of the sort probably wouldn’t be on the list. 

Im just saying it should be more inclusive in a way of drawing in support from all communities, and not something that was clearly decided by a committee that is representative of only one portion of the base - and in the case of those names, probably a small (and blue haired) portion. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s stolen valor from Arkansas, but why not the Washington Razorbacks? For some reason I like that better than a name with “hog” specifically in it.

New idea: All potential names have to come from Arkansas. We've already got Red Wolves and Razorbacks. So, in all, I say these are the nominees:

• Red Wolves
  • Razorbacks
  • Muleriders
  • Boll Weevils
  • Wonder Boys

These are your only choices now. Sorry.

41 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

New idea: All potential names have to come from Arkansas. We've already got Red Wolves and Razorbacks. So, in all, I say these are the nominees:

• Red Wolves
  • Razorbacks
  • Muleriders
  • Boll Weevils
  • Wonder Boys

These are your only choices now. Sorry.

How about just give the city of Washington D.C. what they deserve and move the team to Arkansas?

fiowXOD.png

Archived