rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like the majority of people think the name “Warriors” absolutely HAS to be tied into Native American imagery.

 

It doesn’t. Don’t try to pretend is does.

 

 

 

I'm not trying to pretend it has to be tied to Native imagery. But I'm also not trying to pretend it isn't the most boring of the choices. I'm also not trying to pretend that it hasn't been completely associated with a rather successful NBA team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

I'm not trying to pretend it has to be tied to Native imagery. But I'm also not trying to pretend it isn't the most boring of the choices. I'm also not trying to pretend that it hasn't been completely associated with a rather successful NBA team.

Apologies. It wasn’t aimed at you. It was meant to be a general statement.

 

My opinion on the matter at hand is what I’ve said numerous times before. Anything “Red[insert noun]” is lazy and a cop out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

My opinion on the matter at hand is what I’ve said numerous times before. Anything “Red[insert noun]” is lazy and a cop out.

Even in the case of Red Wolves being a real life creature that has historic ties to the region? It's not like they'd be pulling a Seahawks move and making up a name for an animal that already exist.

 

I'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't be a convenient new name for the team (2 syllables, beginning with Red). For this particular situation, convenient may be the best option seeing how retiring the old name triggered a big portion of the team's fanbase in a major way (you won't believe the pissy fits some adults are having in the comments of the team's social media pages multiple times per day). Sometimes you just gotta make the pill easier to swallow. I feel that Red Wolves would be accepted easier and quicker the than any other names they come up with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

It's not like they'd be pulling a Seahawks move and making up a name for an animal that already exist

"Sea hawk" is just bird jargon for "osprey". It's not a made-up name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I remember an article a few weeks ago said Washington needs to focus on an iconic name that can flow easily in the ranks of “Yankees”.

I don't want to politicize this thread, but in a vacuum, Washington "Republicans" is a really cool, classic name. 

 

No chance of that ever happening, but linguistically it sounds good. 

 

Democrats would also be an amazing retro-style name for a baseball team, a la Washington Senators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nash61 said:

I don't want to politicize this thread, but in a vacuum, Washington "Republicans" is a really cool, classic name. 

 

No chance of that ever happening, but linguistically it sounds good. 

 

Democrats would also be an amazing retro-style name for a baseball team, a la Washington Senators.

But they play in a stadium, not a vacuum.

 

Sorry - those both stink 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans and Democrats might be the silliest suggestion I've read in this thread.  Maybe we can have team names that don't sound like they were come up with by 60-year-old white guys discussing the issue over a game of golf.  If there was a committee made up of a group that better resembled both the players and leadership in the community, would they ever come up with those names?  Could you ever picture a team meeting where some linebacker is like "maybe we should be the democrats due to Washington's significance in..." or some other younger person that's (hopefully) more in tune with the current generation is like "I think we should embody the spirit of the Pioneers"? 

 

I'm not suggesting to let the name be "Ballers" or anything like that, or to weigh the players' input higher than anyone else's, but maybe something that everyone can relate to in some way, not just old men in a board room (or... "bored" room) and white kids in the middle of Idaho.  Something that maybe gives the athletes at least some feeling of inclusion, rather than a constant reminder that they work for some out-of-touch pandering organization.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, nash61 said:

I don't want to politicize this thread, but in a vacuum, Washington "Republicans" is a really cool, classic name. 

 

No chance of that ever happening, but linguistically it sounds good. 

 

Democrats would also be an amazing retro-style name for a baseball team, a la Washington Senators.


Washington Democratic-Republicans. Thomas Jefferson approves.

 

Alternatives: the Washington Whigs, or the Washington Carpetbaggers 

 

Edit: This got me thinking of the Washington Federalists, but why not the Washington Federals? They could be called the Feds for short, and the FedEx guy who got the ball rolling on all this would certainly approve. Also the above names are a joke, for those of you who couldn’t figure it out.

Edited by TenaciousG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Swamp Dragons

 

Tom O'Grady would be thrilled his awful design could return!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Republicans and Democrats might be the silliest suggestion I've read in this thread.  Maybe we can have team names that don't sound like they were come up with by 60-year-old white guys discussing the issue over a game of golf.  If there was a committee made up of a group that better resembled both the players and leadership in the community, would they ever come up with those names?  Could you ever picture a team meeting where some linebacker is like "maybe we should be the democrats due to Washington's significance in..." or some other younger person that's (hopefully) more in tune with the current generation is like "I think we should embody the spirit of the Pioneers"? 

 

I'm not suggesting to let the name be "Ballers" or anything like that, or to weigh the players' input higher than anyone else's, but maybe something that everyone can relate to in some way, not just old men in a board room (or... "bored" room) and white kids in the middle of Idaho.  Something that maybe gives the athletes at least some feeling of inclusion, rather than a constant reminder that they work for some out-of-touch pandering organization

 

What sort of name are you thinking would accomplish that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

What sort of name are you thinking would accomplish that?

The Washington Optimists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s stolen valor from Arkansas, but why not the Washington Razorbacks? For some reason I like that better than a name with “hog” specifically in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about changing the team nickname to a swear? They've already been a slur, so I could cross another terrible idea off my list.

 

Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together for your Washington Mother:censored:ers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Edit: This got me thinking of the Washington Federalists, but why not the Washington Federals? They could be called the Feds for short, and the FedEx guy who got the ball rolling on all this would certainly approve. Also the above names are a joke, for those of you who couldn’t figure it out.

I 100% approve of this naming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

What sort of name are you thinking would accomplish that?


I don’t have any idea as I don’t know exactly who the right people are to come up with it or how they think. I just know that “Federals”, “Republicans”, “Pioneers”, and many of the other names of the sort probably wouldn’t be on the list. 
 

Im just saying it should be more inclusive in a way of drawing in support from all communities, and not something that was clearly decided by a committee that is representative of only one portion of the base - and in the case of those names, probably a small (and blue haired) portion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s stolen valor from Arkansas, but why not the Washington Razorbacks? For some reason I like that better than a name with “hog” specifically in it.

 

New idea: All potential names have to come from Arkansas. We've already got Red Wolves and Razorbacks. So, in all, I say these are the nominees:

 

  • Red Wolves
  • Razorbacks
  • Muleriders
  • Boll Weevils
  • Wonder Boys

These are your only choices now. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

 

New idea: All potential names have to come from Arkansas. We've already got Red Wolves and Razorbacks. So, in all, I say these are the nominees:

 

  • Red Wolves
  • Razorbacks
  • Muleriders
  • Boll Weevils
  • Wonder Boys

These are your only choices now. Sorry.

 

How about just give the city of Washington D.C. what they deserve and move the team to Arkansas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.