rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What if, now follow me here, they weren't the Reds, but merely kin of them. Wait, no

I was going to make a joke and suggest that they could be the children of the Reds, but "Redskids" could conjure up a really disturbing image.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've heard of "The Fed", and "The Feds" in the context of the Federal Reserve, government agencies, federal agents, FBI, etc.  Is that what people are thinking when they want to call a team the Federals?  I guess I can buy that, but I've never heard of an individual or a group referred to as a "federal" or the "federals", just the shortened "fed".

I don't think it's meant to be thought of or taken so literally.  There are plenty of great team nicknames that aren't literally what you would call an individual or group, but work fine.  They are just nicknames that conjure up images or thoughts of the cities they represent.  Like Phillies or 76ers.  You wouldn't really ever refer to a person as a Phillie or a 76er.  But they are great nicknames because they have a connection to the city.  Think a bit more abstractly.

EDIT: Also, even if they did end up being called the Federals, a lot of people would just refer to them as "The Feds" anyway.

Phillies and 76ers are bad examples because I think they’re dumb names too. Phillies at least is from an era where it didn’t matter and teams were kinda just known by their cities anyway. 76ers is ridiculous. 

On 8/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, TenaciousG said:

...why not the Washington Federals? They could be called the Feds for short...

That was my suggestion back on page 5 of this thread.  Federals is the best name out there.  It sits beautifully alongside Nationals.  The USFL team's logo could be appropriately recoloured.

logo-federals-recoloured.png

On 8/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, Red Wolf said:

New idea: All potential names have to come from Arkansas. We've already got Red Wolves and Razorbacks. So, in all, I say these are the nominees:

• Red Wolves
  • Razorbacks
  • Muleriders
  • Boll Weevils
  • Wonder Boys

Not much to say when you're high above the mucky-muck.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That was my suggestion back on page 5 of this thread.  Federals is the best name out there.  It sits beautifully alongside Nationals.  The USFL team's logo could be appropriately recoloured.

Not much to say when you're high above the mucky-muck.

Thanks, that’s gonna be stuck in my head all night now. 

With the name change and the inevitable move into DC. Does anyone thing that they will change the city/region name from Washington to DC?  

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Phillies and 76ers are bad examples because I think they’re dumb names too. Phillies at least is from an era where it didn’t matter and teams were kinda just known by their cities anyway. 76ers is ridiculous. 

Do you feel the same way about 49ers?

1 hour ago, selgy said:

With the name change and the inevitable move into DC. Does anyone thing that they will change the city/region name from Washington to DC?  

No. Especially since they want to keep some tradition with the new name and colors. Keeping Washington helps strengthen the bridge between the past and future. 

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think it's a fine name, but I want so badly for it to return with the green, black, and silver color scheme that I don't want it to be chosen.

5 hours ago, Chawls said:

Sorta, but wasn't 49ers an actual term that was used to refer to the people who migrated there because of the gold rush?  And while I don't know for sure, due to the year, I would assume that there weren't any black 49ers, which means that the team is named for an exclusively white group, which gets back to my non-inclusive thing.  I could be wrong about that though, and in 2020, the name "49ers" is really just a sound that doesn't mean anything other than a reference to the SF Football Team.

5 hours ago, Chawls said:

I do. I’ve ALWAYS thought the name 49ers was dumb, and California history (especially the Northern California gold rush, because that entire territory from SF to Carson City, NV is my home base) is a big passion of mine. I get the significance, but I still think something like Gold Miners or even Prospectors would’ve been better. Naming yourself after a year always sounds dumb. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Sorta, but wasn't 49ers an actual term that was used to refer to the people who migrated there because of the gold rush?  And while I don't know for sure, due to the year, I would assume that there weren't any black 49ers, which means that the team is named for an exclusively white group, which gets back to my non-inclusive thing.  I could be wrong about that though, and in 2020, the name "49ers" is really just a sound that doesn't mean anything other than a reference to the SF Football Team.

There were some Black 49ers. While most Forty-Niners were White, both Americans and European immigrants and refugees (of the Revolutions of 1848), there was also a very large Chinese population.

3 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I do. I’ve ALWAYS thought the name 49ers was dumb, and California history (especially the Northern California gold rush, because that entire territory from SF to Carson City, NV is my home base) is a big passion of mine. I get the significance, but I still think something like Gold Miners or even Prospectors would’ve been better. Naming yourself after a year always sounds dumb. 

Sometimes names don't have to be precise or the best fit because they just organically work over time. Sure 49ers would likely have never made it out of round 1 focus groups but at this point nobody cares and the meaning is relatively abstract. They also get bonus points because the dimensions of SF are approximately 7mi by 7mi which is gives the 49 a little extra meaning.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

And while I don't know for sure, due to the year, I would assume that there weren't any black 49ers, which means that the team is named for an exclusively white group, which gets back to my non-inclusive thing.

Key points from Wikipedia:

By the beginning of 1849, word of the Gold Rush had spread around the world, and an overwhelming number of gold-seekers and merchants began to arrive from virtually every continent. The largest group of forty-niners in 1849 were Americans, arriving by the tens of thousands overland across the continent and along various sailing routes[39] (the name "forty-niner" was derived from the year 1849)...  Australians and New Zealanders picked up the news from ships carrying Hawaiian newspapers, and thousands, infected with "gold fever", boarded ships for California.

Forty-niners came from Latin America, particularly from the Mexican mining districts near Sonora, and Chile. Gold-seekers and merchants from Asia, primarily from China, began arriving in 1849, at first in modest numbers to Gum San ("Gold Mountain"), the name given to California in Chinese.  The first immigrants from Europe, reeling from the effects of the Revolutions of 1848 and with a longer distance to travel, began arriving in late 1849, mostly from France, with some Germans, Italians, and Britons.

It is estimated that approximately 90,000 people arrived in California in 1849—about half by land and half by sea.  Of these, perhaps 50,000 to 60,000 were Americans, and the rest were from other countries.   By 1855, it is estimated at least 300,000 gold-seekers, merchants, and other immigrants had arrived in California from around the world.[47] The largest group continued to be Americans, but there were tens of thousands each of Mexicans, Chinese, Britons, Australians, French, and Latin Americans, together with many smaller groups of miners, such as African Americans, Filipinos, Basques and Turks.... A modest number of miners of African ancestry (probably less than 4,000) had come from the Southern States, the Caribbean and Brazil.  A number of immigrants were from China. Several hundred Chinese arrived in California in 1849 and 1850, and in 1852 more than 20,000 landed in San Francisco.

There were also women in the Gold Rush. However, their numbers were small. Of the 40,000 people who arrived by ship in the San Francisco harbor in 1849, only 700 were women (including poor women, wealthy women, entrepreneurs, prostitutes, single women and married women).  They were of various ethnicities including Anglo-American, African-American, Hispanic, Native, European, Chinese, and Jewish.  The reasons they came varied: some came with their husbands, refusing to be left behind to fend for themselves, some came because their husbands sent for them, and others came (singles and widows) for the adventure and economic opportunities. 

Sound to me like a very inclusive name for a team.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"49ers" is really just a sound that doesn't mean anything other than a reference to the SF Football Team. 

Seriously?

The term "49er" is even mentioned in classic folk songs which predate FOOTBALL:

"In a cavern,

In a canyon,

Excavated for a mine,

Lived a miner,

Forty-niner

and his daughter, Clementine.
Oh my darlin', oh my darlin', oh my darlin' Clementine..."

Yeah but that may be more of a west coast thing. I can see where the history of the gold rush might’ve been glossed over a bit out east. Especially in an area with as rich of a domestic history as Philadelphia. I take people through Truckee occasionally and will talk about how Donner Lake got its name, and have had a surprising amount of people (mostly from the Midwest and east coast) who have absolutely no idea who the Donner party was. 

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The name 49ers is dumb but it just works. 76ers too. Atleast it’s not Raptors 905.

Maybe they work because they're all you (and I) have known?

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Seriously?

The term "49er" is even mentioned in classic folk songs which predate FOOTBALL:

You cut off the part where I said "in 2020", and I stand by it.  I would doubt that your average football fan even thinks about what a 49er is, and thinks only about the football team when they hear the name.  I'll concede that it's probably different in California where more of the history has been taught, but I doubt it means anything other than a team name to a lot of people.  Note that I recognize that's the same argument some people use to defend the R-word name, and I do believe that 99% of people that use it don't even think about the harm it could cause because to them it's just a "label" of a team, but given that it does cause harm, whether intentional or otherwise, it's clearly different.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

many smaller groups of miners, such as African Americans, Filipinos, Basques and Turks

When they say "miners", are those the true prospectors, or are they essentially the slave labor of the merchants who moved to California?  Legit question, since I don't know the history.  Given that there were 4M Black slaves by 1860, I'm doubting that many were able to put together the money to independently make the trek to the far west to mine for gold.  Open to being corrected if I'm off base.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When they say "miners", are those the true prospectors, or are they essentially the slave labor of the merchants who moved to California?  Legit question, since I don't know the history.  Given that there were 4M Black slaves by 1860, I'm doubting that many were able to put together the money to independently make the trek to the far west to mine for gold.  Open to being corrected if I'm off base.

The Chinese, although treated poorly, were mining for themselves. I would assume that some Blacks were slaves and some were mining for themselves, but I have a no idea on the breakdown of one vs the other.

2 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Yeah but that may be more of a west coast thing. I can see where the history of the gold rush might’ve been glossed over a bit out east. Especially in an area with as rich of a domestic history as Philadelphia. I take people through Truckee occasionally and will talk about how Donner Lake got its name, and have had a surprising amount of people (mostly from the Midwest and east coast) who have absolutely no idea who the Donner party was. 

Holy hell - I had no idea what it was, and just read about it.  That's unbelievable.