rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

On 8/28/2020 at 8:17 AM, Gothamite said:

You’re absolutely right.  Especially anything resembling Kelly green.  Which is why it’s a very hard color scheme to get right. 

I think the Bucks got it right way back in the day, by pairing red with a very dark green to maximize contrast and keeping the red to a trim color.

spacer.pngspacer.png

This version, on the other hand, was a disaster.  Way too much red. 

spacer.pngalltime-jersey-4.jpg

With those white outlines, it’s a muddled mess. Without them it would be absolutely illegible. You can’t use red and green together without a substantial use of white to separate them.  Which to me speaks to a basic flaw.  

If you have two colors, and they can never be put next to each other, that’s not a great color scheme.  Which is probably why Minnesota added their wheat. 

That's due as much to the fact that they used colored letters/numbers on a colored jersey as it is to the particular color combo.. switch that green with navy or purple or brown, and it's the same story

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

That's due as much to the fact that they used colored letters/numbers on a colored jersey as it is to the particular color combo.. switch that green with navy or purple or brown, and it's the same story

Yes, and those would be bad color schemes, too.  

When the Bucks used green and purple, they needed a good deal of white and silver to make the scheme work, and even then it wasn't great.

I would've liked the name and everything to stay, the pressure from a very powerful few forced it. But honestly I kind of like just the Washington Football team with the numerals on the helmet. 

I like the (Washington Football Team) colors and this is kind of a clean, pure look. Heck I'd be ok if they never even give em a true official nickname. Browns have nothing on their helmets...they can just remain Washington Football. They can just rep the area rather than be associated with something or some kind of animal

I’ve always liked how the Buffalo Sabres and Bills feature a buffalo in their respective logos even though the teams represent the city of Buffalo, and not a team called the “Buffaloes”.

It makes me wonder that when WFT becomes the Whatevers, could they have some sort of George Washington logo without being the “Washingtons”?

On 8/31/2020 at 3:24 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I would've liked the name and everything to stay, the pressure from a very powerful few forced it. But honestly I kind of like just the Washington Football team with the numerals on the helmet. 

I like the (Washington Football Team) colors and this is kind of a clean, pure look. Heck I'd be ok if they never even give em a true official nickname. Browns have nothing on their helmets...they can just remain Washington Football. They can just rep the area rather than be associated with something or some kind of animal

Washington Reds or Washington Golds?

i get the team's newsletter and there email address has (Washington Football Team) still in it (figure that one out).  

i know they are changing things still, but i thought that would have been one of the first things the team would have done (along with there street address)

7 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i get the team's newsletter and there email address has (Washington Football Team) still in it (figure that one out).  

i know they are changing things still, but i thought that would have been one of the first things the team would have done (along with there street address)

Edited: thought he posted put (Washington Football Team) on purpose I see now that is what the board automatically does...

So to clarify he meant:

i get the team's newsletter and there email address has the former team's nickname still in it (figure that one out).  

3 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Washington Football Team is their name though...

Unless you mean the Former Team Name which you could've put like that in your post since you don't want to say (Washington Football Team).

the email name is Washington Football team, but the (Washington Football Team) in the email address itself.

1 minute ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Edited: thought the posted put (Washington Football Team) on purpose I see now he can't.

So to clarify he meant:

i get the team's newsletter and there email address has the former team's nickname still in it (figure that one out).  

I think we all understood it.  They've only officially been the WTFs for a few weeks now, right?  I wouldn't expect all of their automated correspondence to be easily changed to "do_not_reply@washingtonfootballteam.com" or for their internal accounts to be aliased as "dsnyder69@washingtonfootballteam.com" in a matter of weeks.  Depending on how things are set up, that could take months.

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

I think we all understood it.  They've only officially been the WTFs for a few weeks now, right?  I wouldn't expect all of their automated correspondence to be easily changed to "do_not_reply@washingtonfootballteam.com" or for their internal accounts to be aliased as "dsnyder69@washingtonfootballteam.com" in a matter of weeks.  Depending on how things are set up, that could take months.

i was thinking that too, but i thought it would have been changed by now.  

1 minute ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Then I think the board should automatically put (Washington's Former Nickname) then to avoid confusion.

i saw that when i put the old team name (it changes to there current name)

i haven't written in this thread in sometime so that one is new to me.  

1 minute ago, goalieboy82 said:

Hope they included the obvious way a r o u n d that

6 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

Yea its new to me as well today.

5 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

Hope they included the obvious way a r o u n d that

Well if not that person would probably get a warning about it, cause its one thing to type it normal, but to type around it, do I necessarily agree with the board doing it? No, but it's the rules of board now clearly and I'll follow them regarding Washington's former nickname.

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

i was thinking that too, but i thought it would have been changed by now.  

They may not want to go through all that trouble now when they'll just have to do it again in 6 months when they become the Red Whatevers.

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Then I think the board should automatically put (Washington's Former Nickname) then to avoid confusion.

That's a good suggestion.

50 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

do I necessarily agree with the board doing it? No, but it's the rules of board now clearly and I'll follow them regarding Washington's former nickname.

If it's been accepted as a slur to the point where the team had to change it, then it should be treated just like any other slur, like the n-word.  Would you expect a simple warning for working around the filter for that?  The difference here is that it still hasn't been eradicated 100%, as evident by the email addresses, but while we may not see or hear from the people derided or degraded by that word nearly as much as or as obviously as we do the n-word, it's still essentially the same now.

41 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They may not want to go through all that trouble now when they'll just have to do it again in 6 months when they become the Red Whatevers.

That's a good suggestion.

If it's been accepted as a slur to the point where the team had to change it, then it should be treated just like any other slur, like the n-word.  Would you expect a simple warning for working around the filter for that?  The difference here is that it still hasn't been eradicated 100%, as evident by the email addresses, but while we may not see or hear from the people derided or degraded by that word nearly as much as or as obviously as we do the n-word, it's still essentially the same now.

Yea, and it's in the past now, and it's not longer the team's name. Plus I'm not a Washington fan so I don't have any attachment to the name being, so fine by me.

21 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Yea, and it's in the past now, and it's not longer the team's name. Plus I'm not a Washington fan so I don't have any attachment to the name being, so fine by me.

Same here. I’ve always respected the board’s rules; no need to change doing that now. So a certain word can’t be typed. No huge loss.

spacer.png

I thought the new helmets were a good compromise, but it looks odd that they don't match the TV numbers on jersey shoulders. I think it would look miles better by just removing the TV numbers all together.