rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

On 9/11/2020 at 4:07 AM, throwmesomepics said:

Does anyone know what Washington’s new field design will look like? There are yellow end zones in madden and I’ve seen other mock ups with burgundy end zones.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/1286357273040781312/photo/1

Paul Lukas(Uni Watch) Tweeted that the endzones would be yellow.

Football Team should never be on its own. Either use Washington Football Team or Washington. Football team just looks wrong, and I even like the name.

5 hours ago, Faxion said:

spacer.png

I thought the new helmets were a good compromise, but it looks odd that they don't match the TV numbers on jersey shoulders. I think it would look miles better by just removing the TV numbers all together.

To me it can look good without necessarily matching. I like the way the TV numbers look (classic Was style) and I like the yellow numerals on the helmet. If the helmet numerals were white as they are on the TV numbers...sure it would match but it would be blander. The yellow numbers on the helmet pops more. 

On 9/11/2020 at 4:07 AM, throwmesomepics said:

Does anyone know what Washington’s new field design will look like? There are yellow end zones in madden and I’ve seen other mock ups with burgundy end zones.

the end zones are burgundy; the WFT instagram shared a photo of the field

9 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

All they had to do was put the tv numbers on the helmet with the stripe still there.

I still think that that nice-looking W logo should be on the helmet. There are far too few letter-based logos in the league.

I have heard mention of the idea that the team didn't want fans to get attached to the W logo. If that's true, then it's very unwise. Having a helmet logo that looks so good would help ease the transition. Also, it would make the team look normal on the field, rather than looking really odd with each player wearing a different helmet.

Also, a W logo that takes so well to a cap would promote the sale of team merchandise to those fans of the team who never considered buying merchandise with the old logo, some of whom took to wearing caps with the Nationals' W logo recoloured to maroon and gold. 

What's more, the current W logo would go with any new nickname that the team eventually adopts. After the new nickname is chosen, the team would have the option of leaving the W on the helmet, or switching the helmet to some graphical logo that represents the nickname while retaining the W as a secondary logo worn on caps.

So downplaying the solid, attractive W logo by keeping it off the helmet really seems to me like the wrong move.

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I still think that that nice-looking W logo should be on the helmet. There are far too few letter-based logos in the league.

I have heard mention of the idea that the team didn't want fans to get attached to the W logo. If that's true, then it's very unwise. Having a helmet logo that looks so good would help ease the transition. Also, it would make the team look normal on the field, rather than looking really odd with each player wearing a different helmet.

Also, a W logo that takes so well to a cap would promote the sale of team merchandise to those fans of the team who never considered buying merchandise with the old logo, some of whom took to wearing caps with the Nationals' W logo recoloured to maroon and gold. 

What's more, the current W logo would go with any new nickname that the team eventually adopts. After the new nickname is chosen, the team would have the option of leaving the W on the helmet, or switching the helmet to some graphical logo that represents the nickname while retaining the W as a secondary logo worn on caps.

So downplaying the solid, attractive W logo by keeping it off the helmet really seems to me like the wrong move.

Fans are going to hate it, no matter what. By doing it this way, it gives the team the choice to move to the logo W fulltime on the helmets if they so choose without it being too associated with the replacement logo.

I'll go the other way - put the TV numbers on the helmet, then put the W on the shoulder instead of TV numbers.  Creates a new jersey to sell, still gets you a "test drive" of the W, but without committing to it as a logo as much as putting it on the helmet would do.

11 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Is it just me or is that helmet number font not standard block?

It's not - that's why some people have been complaining about the mismatch between it and the TV #s.

NBCSports Washington is using a logo-less, normal striped, white facemasked helmet in their graphics on the pregame show.

I'm a fan of this franchise and hope the Football Team becomes permanent, but they have to scrap the horrible helmets. Bring back the stripes and slap the W on the side and you'd have a perfect uniform! 

Is the Washington Football Team name here to stay? Daniel Snyder says 'it's possible'

The Washington Football Team could be here to stay.

Team owner Daniel Snyder told The Wall Street Journal it is possible the team will keep its temporary name, which it initially said would be used for the 2020 season until a different name was selected.

“Sure, it’s possible!” Snyder wrote in an email to The Wall Street Journal.

“If the Washington Football Team name catches on and our fans embrace it then we would be happy to have it as our permanent name,” he wrote. “I think we have developed a very classy retro look and feel.”

He told The Wall Street Journal he doesn’t have a deadline for choosing a permanent name.

“Our timeline is to get this right,” Snyder wrote in the email.

Dan Snyder, ladies and gents.

Meanwhile, the “W” is kind of growing on me. I think they should keep it at least as a secondary. I think I’d prefer it on the helmet over the numbers.

Why does everyone like this W? They typed a W in Eurostile and stuck NFL Wordmark Spikes™ on it. Big deal. 

If they could do a cursive W that looks recognizably similar to the old cursive R without looking too much like the curly W that the Nationals have refused to abandon, that would work well. But everything about this stopgap identity is lousy craftsmanship and I think people are just going out of their way to praise it because it merely exists.

3 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Is the Washington Football Team name here to stay? Daniel Snyder says 'it's possible'

The Washington Football Team could be here to stay.

Team owner Daniel Snyder told The Wall Street Journal it is possible the team will keep its temporary name, which it initially said would be used for the 2020 season until a different name was selected.

“Sure, it’s possible!” Snyder wrote in an email to The Wall Street Journal.

“If the Washington Football Team name catches on and our fans embrace it then we would be happy to have it as our permanent name,” he wrote. “I think we have developed a very classy retro look and feel.”

He told The Wall Street Journal he doesn’t have a deadline for choosing a permanent name.

“Our timeline is to get this right,” Snyder wrote in the email.

I feel as though with everything going on with all the behind the scenes controversies of the (Washington Football Team) this might be a great move by Snyder. 

If we needs to sell the name. Selling it without a name and leaving the naming ability up to the next owners probably adds value to the team. 

If he renames it now to something that doesn't have traction, the new owners might be inclined to rename the team after purchasing. 

Maybe Washington Football Team or something generic might be here for a while until Snyder gets a DC stadium contract signed and sells. 

They can't possibly go on forever using Football Team as their nickname. Then again, this is Daniel Snyder. 

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why does everyone like this W? They typed a W in Eurostile and stuck NFL Wordmark Spikes™ on it. Big deal. 

If they could do a cursive W that looks recognizably similar to the old cursive R without looking too much like the curly W that the Nationals have refused to abandon, that would work well. But everything about this stopgap identity is lousy craftsmanship and I think people are just going out of their way to praise it because it merely exists.

Yes, this.

Though it's hard to tell with this franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if the lousiness of this identity was intentional, primarily because it's meant to be a stopgap. I still contend it makes sense to keep the look as Brand X generic as possible while they work toward something more permanent. 

I think the W is OK an may be OK on a helmet, but (under the assumption they get a name), I prefer this more generic approach for a one-year interim. I think it would be weird to have a one-year actual logo and then dump it in favor of something more permanent next year.

Is there anything in the NFL rules preventing them from staying Washington Football Team and just say they are, for example, Redwolves. So they keep whatever WFT branding they have, but merch and stuff can still feature a wolf or something of some kind. I dont think they need to be the Washington Redwolves

I guess kind of the way the Cleveland Browns have a dog in a lot of merch.