Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't chimed in on this topic much, but as a guy living in a town with a major junior team called the Wolves, it would be nice to see a Big 4 team get a similar name (aside from the aforementioned Minnesota).

This Washington Football Team fan is still holding out hope that Red Tails beats out Red Wolves, because I feel like it has more interesting logo opportunities. I'm also not married to an "R" name, since HTTR isn't that important to preserve. Plus in the football threads on forums I participate it, ending with a HTTFT amuses me currently.

And I'm almost as sick of the Washington Team Football/WTF jokes after a month as I was the 'skins POTATOES jokes for a decade.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

According to a local DC radio station 100.3, the Redwolves hold the fan favorite lead vote by a wide margin over Redtails and Seals.

How are they conducting these votes?  We all know that Twitter and Facebook polls don’t reflect anything about the larger world. 

Also, “Seals”?

34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

How are they conducting these votes?  We all know that Twitter and Facebook polls don’t reflect anything about the larger world. 

Also, “Seals”?

I think they’re basing it off a website the team has for submitting ideas.

3 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Seals?!

As for Seals, I’m sure it’s in reference to government seals.

From the Yahoo Sports article:

Recently, the Team posted a poll to their site with the simple question: What's your favorite fan submission so far? The four options listed were the Wolves, Alliance, Red Tails and Seals.

I totally missed Alliance. That’s probably the worst name of the four. However, I do like the pants stripes in the showcased Redtails concept. Also, it isn’t Redwolves. It’s just “Wolves”, but we all know they’d add “Red” for consistency sake.

Turns out, the “Seals” name is in reference to Navy Seals.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Redtails identity is beautifully crafted-

http://www.jessealkire.com/sports#/red-tails/

Eh, I think it's way too clever for its own good.  Stripes on the pant hems instead of the socks, using "Columbia" as the place name, the lack of anything resembling a logo.  And I guess throwing his daughter's artwork in as the final slide is supposed to be heartwarming but it just comes off as self-indulgent.

There are some good ideas there, he just needs to reel it in.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:58 PM, BeardedFool said:

Red Wolves are a real species that was once native to the DC area, and much of the southeast United States.  They've since been extirpated from all of their native lands.  Very on-brand for the Washington Football Team nicknames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

Dan Snyder would not help raise awareness for an endangered species when he emphatically refused to change the name from a slur.

If he doesn't give a :censored: about people, why would he give a :censored: about animals?

Archived