Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Redtails identity is beautifully crafted-

http://www.jessealkire.com/sports#/red-tails/

Whatever you think of the overall identity package, the uniforms represent such a radical departure from the history of Washington NFL uniforms to date  that there's no chance that a majority of respondents to the Washington Football Team's on-line polling would select Redtails as a name. As part of the brief accompanying his package for the Redtails identity, Mr. Alkire claims, "The best known elements of the [P-51 Mustang] inspire every inch of the uniform in subtle ways". Subtle? Really? There's nothing remotely subtle visually about the Redtails uniforms he's designed.      

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The showcased concepts/submissions in question from the team website-

Wolves-

Alliance-

spacer.png

Redtails-

Seals-

The Alliance uniform looks great and the name is not bad either. 

spacer.png

My vote is for don't name them anything and let the fans call them The Hogs. Like how soccer teams do it. I also like WFT and I like saying it like "woofttt! This team is bad."

I'm on record in this thread with my objections to Redtails so I won't get into it again. What I don't get is the love for the numbered helmets. I think that looks remarkably rushed and dumb. The W they created is actually pretty sharp. Slap that badboy on the lids and call it a day. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

48 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Dan Snyder would not help raise awareness for an endangered species when he emphatically refused to change the name from a slur.

If he doesn't give a :censored: about people, why would he give a :censored: about animals?

I have a coworker who used to work as a delivery driver for a certain mattress company. He regularly delivered to several Washington personnel including Snyder himself. He once overheard Snyder getting into an argument over cutting trees down that blocked his view of the Potomac River and refusing to pay fines for not replanting trees in their place (a law in the area. I forget what it’s called).

14 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I have a coworker who used to work as a delivery driver for a certain mattress company. He regularly delivered to several Washington personnel including Snyder himself. He once overheard Snyder getting into an argument over cutting trees down that blocked his view of the Potomac River and refusing to pay fines for not replanting trees in their place (a law in the area. I forget what it’s called).

I remember seeing that in the news when he did that. Another proud moment as a Washington fan. Sometimes I really regret tying my online identity to these fools.

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, nuordr said:

WOW! Overall that is not good and that number font is almost as bad as Tampa's digital clock numbers. 

Nah. I don't think it's that bad. The font goes in line with the Air Force. It's pretty creative. But, that said ... the orange and lighter red doesn't connect with the Washington (Washington Football Team) franchise history which I think they want to maintain with the burgundy and gold.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Bill81361 said:

It can't be the Columbia Red Tails as there is already a Columbia, MD.  One of the proposed names for DC Statehood was New Columbia, but that may no longer be what they use if such a day arises.

It holds the same value as Tampa Bay, Carolina, New England, and Golden State, IMO.

I could see DC being used, in the way that DC United and XFL's Defenders did, but Columbia is too pretentious for its own good. Nobody calls the city "Columbia", they either call it "Washington" or "DC". At least Tampa Bay, New England, and the Carolinas are common names for their respective regions, I can't say I've ever heard DC called Columbia without "the District of" preceding it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

There is no chance any concept shown in this thread gets adopted by the team. The Ravens' logo fiasco pretty much guaranteed everything will come from in-house forever.

Anyway sign me up for Redwolves or Red Wolves. You can keep the name close to the old one while distancing it from the slur and going in a new direction with a name that actually is something. As opposed to something abstract like "Alliance."

You could even keep the logo structure the same. Keep the roundel, lose the feather, and replace the Native person's head with a wolf head. It's the perfect balance between completely doing away with the old racist identity while also keeping things as familiar as possible.

Which I believe is a necessity. Both to ease fans who are clinging to the old identity into a new one and also because, name aside, this is one of the more storied teams in the league. Maintaining as much of the team's visual identity as possible is ideal.

Redtails also has that advantage, but my objections to that name are the same as @Sport's. Besides....as well meaning as the sentiment behind it is, it is another "fetishize the military" name.

48 minutes ago, IceCap said:

You could even keep the logo structure the same. Keep the roundel, lose the feather, and replace the Native person's head with a wolf head. It's the perfect balance between completely doing away with the old racist identity while also keeping things as familiar as possible.

Which I believe is a necessity. Both to ease fans who are clinging to the old identity into a new one and also because, name aside, this is one of the more storied teams in the league. Maintaining as much of the team's visual identity as possible is ideal.

Redtails also has that advantage, but my objections to that name are the same as @Sport's.

See, I think "Redtails" could also work if they just make it so the entire identity is based around the red-tailed hawk; make the logo a hawk's head in a roundel, with or without the feather. Colors can stay the same, keeps the "Redname" theme. "Hail to the Redtails" works pretty well in song. 

It'd be another simple and easily-familiar option for them to go with. "Redwolves" is fine, but red wolves are basically just the mutts of the wolves. Plus, I'm kinda stunned we don't have a hawk team yet in the NFL. We have eagles, crows, cardinals, falcons and osprey, but not a hawk.

4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

See, I think "Redtails" could also work if they just make it so the entire identity is based around the red-tailed hawk; make the logo a hawk's head in a roundel, with or without the feather. Colors can stay the same, keeps the "Redname" theme. "Hail to the Redtails" works pretty well in song. 

It'd be another simple and easily-familiar option for them to go with. "Redwolves" is fine, but red wolves are basically just the mutts of the wolves. Plus, I'm kinda stunned we don't have a hawk team yet in the NFL. We have eagles, crows, cardinals and osprey, but not a hawk.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I could see DC being used, in the way that DC United and XFL's Defenders did, but Columbia is too pretentious for its own good. Nobody calls the city "Columbia", they either call it "Washington" or "DC". At least Tampa Bay, New England, and the Carolinas are common names for their respective regions, I can't say I've ever heard DC called Columbia without "the District of" preceding it.

And his whole "appeal to women!" is as offensive as the name is pretentious.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

That's an osprey (Pandionidae), which isn't a hawk (Accipitridae).

My bad.

But any team that tries to claim the name "Hawks" will have to go through the Paul Allen estate.

Archived