rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

But like I said before, the brainstorming session should be over and done with by now. As rapidly as they were made to get rid of their name, it's not like it really came as a shock; the cultural machine had been working in overdrive on this for years before the race riots this summer. What name is going to reveal itself that hasn't revealed itself by now? This is an extremely syntactically rickety clause, I am aware that I sound like a kodrinsky thread poster, but: what has not been come up with?

 

I think that's a reasonable expectation were we dealing a reasonably run organization. I'm working under the assumption that, up until this summer, Dan Snyder closed his eyes, cupped his hands over his years, and declared "I'm not listening" when it came to any discussion of a new name for the franchise. 

 

Also, I'd like to think the names that automatically reveal themselves aren't the ones you'd want anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this in the week-by-week thread, but Washington is going throwback. Well, technically fauxback this week against Cincy. Using their throwback uniform from recent seasons (2012-19), but with some notable changes.

 

No helmet logo

No shoulder logo

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm calling them the "Redwolves"... 

I just can't keep doing this no-name thing, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Posted this in the week-by-week thread, but Washington is going throwback. Well, technically fauxback this week against Cincy. Using their throwback uniform from recent seasons (2012-19), but with some notable changes.

 

No helmet logo

No shoulder logo

spacer.png

 

I want that faux leather helmet they used in the past. If they really want to stick with having no nickname, i think that would be a killer full time helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible idea through and through: a blank faux-leather helmet is a bad affectation, and they shouldn't stick with having no nickname. 

 

I much prefer those shades of burgundy and gold, though. 

 

2002 Washington Redskins Full-Time Throwbacks - Sports Logo News - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Community - CCSLC - SportsLogos.Net Forums

 

I could have gotten behind this uniform for a team called the Redshirts. miss u spear helmet :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Terrible idea through and through: a blank faux-leather helmet is a bad affectation, and they shouldn't stick with having no nickname. 

 

I much prefer those shades of burgundy and gold, though. 

 

2002 Washington Redskins Full-Time Throwbacks - Sports Logo News - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Community - CCSLC - SportsLogos.Net Forums

 

I could have gotten behind this uniform for a team called the Redshirts. miss u spear helmet :(

I think they should probably find a happy medium between this look and the throw/fauxback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Terrible idea through and through: a blank faux-leather helmet is a bad affectation, and they shouldn't stick with having no nickname. 

 

I much prefer those shades of burgundy and gold, though. 

 

Robert Griffin III - Robert Griffin III Photos - Carolina Panthers v  Washington Redskins - Zimbio

 

I don't know... i love this look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Robert Griffin III - Robert Griffin III Photos - Carolina Panthers v  Washington Redskins - Zimbio

 

I don't know... i love this look

I love the helmet too, but I don’t necessarily think you’d be able to pass it off as a good main helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Or make the helmet look like a football and call them the "Washington Pigskins".

That reeks of local minor league team one-off promotion night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is why Cleveland AL will wait to change, having a name ready to go and no “Cleveland Baseball Club.”

 

Except Indians isn't a slur. The logo was the big issue for Cleveland, and it's been eliminated already. They definitely need something more than a block C, but I don't see nearly the same kind of pressure on them to change the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Except Indians isn't a slur. The logo was the big issue for Cleveland, and it's been eliminated already. They definitely need something more than a block C, but I don't see nearly the same kind of pressure on them to change the name.

I mean, it took this much for Cleveland management to even retire Wahoo. At this point, I could see them changing everything just to spite the people asking for that. A "You made us drop Wahoo, you took our entire soul with him!"-kinda deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, it took this much for Cleveland management to even retire Wahoo. At this point, I could see them changing everything just to spite the people asking for that. A "You made us drop Wahoo, you took our entire soul with him!"-kinda deal.


Let’s just say that it’s probably happening.


From Terry Pluto: https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/11/fans-love-to-watch-in-indians-on-tv-whats-up-with-team-name-terry-talkin-tribe.html

 

Quote

A change will be coming. Here is what I’ve been hearing:

1. At some point in the next few months, the Indians will announce “we plan to change the name."

2. They will not announce the name without working to engage fans, sponsors and others in finding a new name for the franchise.

3. It won’t be a simple change to “the Tribe.” They want to move away from anything close to a Native American reference.

4. The team also is learning it’s hard to figure out what is the best decision. It’s one thing to say, “OK, we’re not the Indians anymore.” Then what? That’s why the NFL’s Washington franchise is the Washington Football Team as they try to decide the next move.

5. When they do announce a change will be coming, it won’t happen until 2022. They will play as the Indians in 2021.


Once Wahoo went away, it was only a matter of time before the name had to go as well. Yes, they did have the name before Wahoo, but Wahoo had become so thoroughly attached to the name. You couldn’t realistically separate them for the public. The name has to go to have even a decent, non-generic identity.

 

The colors must stay, of course. Maybe some light blue accents would be nice, but they don’t really need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Washington Unrepresentatives. Washington Washingtonians. Washington Winters.

 

I want them to choose a damn name just so we don't have to hear any more stupid suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

 

I want them to choose a damn name just so we don't have to hear any more stupid suggestions.

Whatever it takes to get them to name them. Or sell and relocate the team.  I'm fine with both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 7:51 PM, sayahh said:

Sorry if this has already been posted:

https://uspto.report/TM/90239649

 

Burgundy Wolves, Redwolves.

 

It this someone speculating on the team name or something else completely?

 

Copyright squatter.

 

I do like the absurdity of "Washington Shapeshifting Wolves" that they also applied for. Why not just go with Werewolves? And honestly, Washington Werewolves would be pretty great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.