Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

Copyright squatter.

I do do like the absurdity of "Washington Shapeshifting Wolves" that they also applied for. Why not just go with Werewolves? And honestly, Washington Werewolves would be pretty great.

Squatter!  That's the word I was looking for!  I would be fine with Washington Burgundies or Washington Burgundy; Washington BAGS (Burgundy and Golds) would not be as cool, though hahaha

Thanks for chiming in, burgundy!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken, the team quickly hired him to be the Executive Vice President In Charge Of Bein' A Black Guy in the heat of the race riots, so he probably feels like calling things "dope" and "fly" is somehow required of him. He probably sounds exactly like Pete Buttigieg when he says it, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Washington Football Team President Shares Latest On Rebrand

November 21, 2020 - 17:34 PM

Washington Football Team president Jason Wright recently sat down with ESPN’s John Keim for a wide-ranging interview that included a few notes about the franchise’s ongoing rebrand. Wright said that Washington has filed for trademarks on more than 30 different nicknames, but also noted the name of choice might not

Read More...

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm leaning toward Redshirts again. It feels old and it refers to the uniform, which I think everyone with a brain wants to keep intact.

I want to move the tv numbers to the shoulders and turn the cuffs into fuller stripes, like the Chiefs did. Aside from that, keep it intact.

Yeah, that's within reason and actually gets them back to where they're supposed to be with regard to the big bold double-stripes.

i39FKtM.jpg

I could see this being on the wall behind the goalposts like how it says "New York Football Giants" at MetLife.

EDIT: There is a dearth of cursive wordmarks in the NFL now that the Patriots switched to prickly-block. One of the Texengalconcodinalhawks should switch.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "redshirt" within the context of SPORTS is a college redshirt.  I'm not saying to not name your kid Bart because kids could rhyme it with fart, but it does open them up for "lol they play like they should redshirt the whole team, hyuh hyuh amirite?"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, there is that, and something about Star Trek that I don't grasp the meaning of. But "Washington Redshirts" looks good alongside "New York Giants" and "Dallas Cowboys," in my opinion. It feels like it could have evolved from newspapermen not knowing what else to call the team in burgundy jerseys. And now that they're teasing "Red Wolves" as a cynical embrace of environmentalism vis-a-vis the Red Tails as cynical embrace of black people, at least naming them after their own uniforms doesn't have any political valence to exploit. It's comfortably meta.

EDIT: could do an alternate logo vaguely based on the DC flag where you have one burgundy stripe, one gold stripe, and three silver footballs to represent their Lombardi trophies in kind of a civic spin on what the Islanders do, but again, not in DC, and I feel like this gets close to being a Washington (INDEPENDENT) pro logo

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, there is that, and something about Star Trek that I don't grasp the meaning of. But "Washington Redshirts" looks good alongside "New York Giants" and "Dallas Cowboys," in my opinion. It feels like it could have evolved from newspapermen not knowing what else to call the team in burgundy jerseys. And now that they're teasing "Red Wolves" as a cynical embrace of environmentalism vis-a-vis the Red Tails as cynical embrace of black people, at least naming them after their own uniforms doesn't have any political valence to exploit. It's comfortably meta.

EDIT: could do an alternate logo vaguely based on the DC flag where you have one burgundy stripe, one gold stripe, and three silver footballs to represent their Lombardi trophies in kind of a civic spin on what the Islanders do, but again, not in DC, and I feel like this gets close to being a Washington (INDEPENDENT) pro logo

If they ever name their team as British as this, I might as well start blasting Rule Britannia in their speakers crossplaying as the Queen.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

You know what... I think I’m a fan of “Werewolves” and it could be shortened to “Wolves” too when necessary.

As much as I like that idea, save it for a future expansion team in London. 😉

Ah-hoo
Werewolves of London
Heh, draw blood
Ah-hoo
Werewolves of London

30 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

As much as I like that idea, save it for a future expansion team in London. 😉

Ah-hoo
Werewolves of London
Heh, draw blood
Ah-hoo
Werewolves of London

Life'll kill ya and then you'll be dead.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Or make the helmet look like a football and call them the "Washington Pigskins".

Washington City Paper was doing this, what, ten years ago? Not to sound all Gen X but the altweeklies losing out to the blogs was such a loss.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 11/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, ManillaToad said:

I always thought something like Spirits, Phantoms, Banshees, etc would be a good identity for a sports team

Spirits of St. Louis (ABA) 

Toronto Phantoms (Arena League) 

Oakland Banshees (women's pro football) 

Archived