rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rjrrzube said:

 

Spirits of St. Louis (ABA) 

Toronto Phantoms (Arena League) 

Oakland Banshees (women's pro football) 

 

Case in point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A for effort but the Eurostile-with-NFL-spikes really takes me out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For as much as they seem to be laying into this “temporary” name, I’m surprised they didn’t come up with some faux-retro logos to use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame they probably won’t use these colors/uniforms as a base for the new identity

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

 

Spirits of St. Louis (ABA) 

Toronto Phantoms (Arena League) 

Oakland Banshees (women's pro football) 

 

Well I meant Big Four teams. Also the Spirits of St. Louis were named after a plane which was using Spirit as in the disposition, not a ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

A shame they probably won’t use these colors/uniforms as a base for the new identity

 

The gold needs to be lighter than that dijon-mustard shade but still darker than standard-issue athletic gold. #DCB700 if you're scoring at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington has a great look with their primary uniforms, but the throwbacks are a great place to start if they want to rebrand entirely. Maroon, gold, and khaki work surprisingly well together. Not sure how you'd design a good road uniform with that palette, but it looks good at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Washington has a great look with their primary uniforms, but the throwbacks are a great place to start if they want to rebrand entirely. Maroon, gold, and khaki work surprisingly well together. Not sure how you'd design a good road uniform with that palette, but it looks good at home.

They could stick with only the “khaki” pants. The white jersey could just be the darker burgundy numbers with gold trim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington's normal colour scheme is excellent. It would be a shame if they threw out the burgundy and gold just to accommodate a name change. Theres nothing racist about the colours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Washington's normal colour scheme is excellent. It would be a shame if they threw out the burgundy and gold just to accommodate a name change. Theres nothing racist about the colours.

No one said they were gonna throw the normal colors away... it’s just that they have every chance in the world now to tweak the shades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

No one said they were gonna throw the normal colors away... it’s just that they have every chance it the world now to tweak the shades

Tweaking the shades is throwing the normal colours away, and it's what I'm saying they shouldn't do, they've gotten it right already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've been tweaking the shades for years and years, especially the burgundy. That's been all over the place. Sometimes they've been maroon. The Lombardi teams were practically cherry red. TruColor says they just darkened the burgundy four years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should’ve taken advantage of the opportunity and added a single dark gold stripe to the helmet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict that the "Wolfskins" will do away with throwbacks starting with the first year of their rebrand and add a black or grey alternate instead. 

Danny Boy considered adding more black years ago and I could seem him forcing it in there because, you know, it's Snyder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, the admiral said:

Terrible idea through and through: a blank faux-leather helmet is a bad affectation, and they shouldn't stick with having no nickname. 

 

I much prefer those shades of burgundy and gold, though. 

 

2002 Washington Redskins Full-Time Throwbacks - Sports Logo News - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Community - CCSLC - SportsLogos.Net Forums

 

I could have gotten behind this uniform for a team called the Redshirts. miss u spear helmet :(

Use this uniform, take the feather off the spear and call them the Washington Warriors. Warriors and the spear go together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joekono said:

Use this uniform, take the feather off the spear and call them the Washington Warriors. Warriors and the spear go together.

I could see FSU filing a suit against that. As a throwback it’s fine because they actually wore that, but wearing it regularly along with changing it FSU could file for “confusion” that it could create which is all you need to win an TM, and copyright suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ptaylor said:

I predict that the "Wolfskins" will do away with throwbacks starting with the first year of their rebrand and add a black or grey alternate instead. 

Danny Boy considered adding more black years ago and I could seem him forcing it in there because, you know, it's Snyder. 

Granted, it’s using the former name and current jersey style, this “inverted” grey fashion jersey from last year didn’t look too bad.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't look good with the then (or current) helmet and pants.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ptaylor said:

I predict that the "Wolfskins" will do away with throwbacks starting with the first year of their rebrand and add a black or grey alternate instead. 

Danny Boy considered adding more black years ago and I could seem him forcing it in there because, you know, it's Snyder. 

 

That's what scares me most. There's a few too many black hats and shirts even with their temporary identity. And I don't trust Snyder to have good taste or make smart decisions. Those old concepts they considered were atrocious. Burgundy and black do not work well together. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.