Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

ProFootballTalk had a great article on a Trademark squatter that could make some of this more intere$ting. Certain names already "belong" to someone else, including Warriors that Snyder let lapse a few years ago.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/washington-trademark-squatter-adds-to-his-portfolio/

I was reading that it is not as simple as someone "owning" the trademark.  I am not an attorney, but supposedly if Snyder wants one of those names, the owner of that trademark would have to prove WHY and how they use the trademark.  I read somewhere that the law is written like that to prevent people from simply applying for random trademarks they will never use just to try to handcuff someone who has plans for the trademark.  However, what I could not find was anything that broke down how long of a process that would be for Snyder if he wanted one of those names.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, make the logo the helmet just like the Cleveland Browns!

Here's a list of names for Washington Football Team (not being too serious):

Washingtons

Hamiltons

Federals

Generals

Reps (Represenatives)

Serpents

Rockets

Reds

Barons

Diplomats

Benjamins

Slayers

4 minutes ago, Telemundo219 said:

spacer.png

This is a good logo. I Really Mean It 😁

With the added touch of burgundy, gold, and pink (since some of the Diplomats go hard with the pink) you have a very unique team!

2 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

One thing that I'm not hearing in these discussions is the possibility of dropping the team history. Such as when Cleveland moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, leaving the Browns identity behind completely. Could cutting ties to the past, and essentially starting as a new franchise, be a way to go? Because even if they have a new name, at the end of the day, aren't they still linked to that name? No one thinks of the Ravens as "the team that use to be the Browns". So would't the problem inevitably be that fans who refuse to let go of the racial slur, continue to call the team by that name if there isn't a 100% break from the team history? I once traveled to an Arkansas State football game in 2014 and, despite having changed from Indians to Red Wolves in 2008, many fans were still wearing shirts and hats with "Indians" on it. So I can imagine that if they become the "Washington (insert name)", and keep the colors, a good number of stubborn fans will still continue to wear Redskins gear in defiance of the name change. And the only way to possibly avoid it is "retiring" the Redskins for good and starting over as a "new" franchise. Am I wrong on this thought?

No, you're absolutely right. The entire franchise would need to be abolished if they were serious about this and no prior achievements could ever be honored again. They're not serious, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One thing that I'm not hearing in these discussions is the possibility of dropping the team history. Such as when Cleveland moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, leaving the Browns identity behind completely. Could cutting ties to the past, and essentially starting as a new franchise, be a way to go? Because even if they have a new name, at the end of the day, aren't they still linked to that name? No one thinks of the Ravens as "the team that use to be the Browns". So would't the problem inevitably be that fans who refuse to let go of the racial slur, continue to call the team by that name if there isn't a 100% break from the team history? I once traveled to an Arkansas State football game in 2014 and, despite having changed from Indians to Red Wolves in 2008, many fans were still wearing shirts and hats with "Indians" on it. So I can imagine that if they become the "Washington (insert name)", and keep the colors, a good number of stubborn fans will still continue to wear Redskins gear in defiance of the name change. And the only way to possibly avoid it is "retiring" the Redskins for good and starting over as a "new" franchise. Am I wrong on this thought?

No, revisionist history does nothing. It’s still the same team that won numerous Super Bowls, has greats that went on to be remembered forever in that fan base, and nationally.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, you're absolutely right. The entire franchise would need to be abolished if they were serious about this and no prior achievements could ever be honored again. They're not serious, though.

No, you wouldn't need to abolish the franchise if they were serious. It's important to keep the club history around, as a reflection of their wrongdoing. You can't pull a *Song of the South* on an entire sports franchise. Granted, the MLB:The Show games do it with Wahoo, but it's not erasing the players or Cleveland AL's history.

If the Cleveland Browns suddenly were named the Cleveland Ravens in 1996...I'm pretty sure everyone would still call them the Browns. 

People are going to wear Redskins gear (either inside the stadium or outside the stadium) no matter if they "ban" it. 

I hope they keep the colors. Smart move to change the name. Hoping for Redtails or Redwolves. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Didn't they city (or a group of fans) sue to keep the history in Cleveland or something like that?

The Redskins won 3 Super Bowls and played in 2 others and won 2 Championships in the pre-Super Bowl era.  I do not think they want to abandon that.  Secondly, keeping the colors, a name with "red" in it, using the same wordmark is a way to keep the current fans.  If they started over as a new franchise with a complete re-brand to say the Washington Generals with a Red-White-Blue theme, it may not go over as well.  I do think we will continue to see Redskins gear at games for a long time.  Not sure the majority of their fans are going to run out to buy the new stuff in bulk, especially with the prices for licensned merchandise.

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

A total Snyder thing to do would be to unveil the new name as “Redtails”, getting everyone hyped up, then reveal the logo of a fox.

Imagining a 1970s-ish Circle-R with a fox tail hanging off the left side...lol

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As a lifelong Skins fan, of all the names thrown out there recently Redwolves (make it one word Snyder!) would be the easiest pill for me to swallow. After doing some Googling and finding out the red wolves are in fact real type of wolf, I became intrigued by the logo possibilities.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My team has had a docile logo for decades. Think it's time we go with something aggressive.

Though a howling wolf would also suffice.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Some people in this generation and even fewer in the next will still call them by their previous name. The thing is that major sports franchises last longer than peoples lives so eventually the 'Skins will be a distant memory. I mean I didn't even know Stanford used to be the Indians until yesterday. I doubt kids 0-10 years old rn will ever think about the previous name in more than just passing thought. Just call them the Redwolves or Redtails and be done with it

I think it really should be down to three names, Generals, Redtails, Redwolves. I think the wolves option of those would be the safest option to go obviously and I wouldn’t mind it, Redtails is probably the most unique way to go, although I prefer Redwolves, Generals seems bland but realistic, although I don’t appreciate the military fetishism. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I can't imagine, knowing Dan Snyder, that he won't go for Warriors. He'll want to spite everyone by picking the most basic name possible for the team as a final shot at the people asking him to change it. "You don't like Reds*ins? Fine! Have a super-generic name instead! Maybe that'll shut you all up."

I like Redtails, honestly; you could make it an homage to the Tuskegee Airmen while using an actual red-tailed hawk as a logo.

Archived